Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Does it Ever Stop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Borneoben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it Ever Stop?

I have very recently bought a new Savage XL that i am very excited about.

Probably more excited than a 36 year old should be about a RC Car!

I have been in RC for 30 years as much to my mothers dismay i was given my first RC car at the age of 5.

In the the last 6 years or so i have been into Helis, planes and Multiritors and havent given cars much thought.

I have no idea why but recently i was consumed with the idea of getting a truck and this is my first Nitro powered model.

What i was refering to in the title was does the upgrading ever stop???!!!

I havent even broken in the motor yet and i have already bought the following parts and upgrades

Big Bore Aluminium Shocks
XL Roll Cage
Diff Shims
24mm Hex Adaptors
Proline 1/5 Baja Desperado Wheels with Bow Tie Tires
Inline fuel filter with built in primer
Sway Bars
RX Battery level indicator
Temp Guage
Plus other misc spares

And it hasnt even turned a wheel under its own power yet!!!

And i am already thinking about getting a DX3S to replace the stock RTR radio gear!!!

I will be broke before Chrsitmas at this rate!

Please tells me it slows down after a while?

Ben

Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Zrock

Default RE: Does it Ever Stop?

isent it always that way with a new hobby? you spend lots of money on all the things you think you need.. this is actually the first hobby i have not done that.. i went the opposite way and bought 2 more cars for the family and my youngest is 2 but she keeps steeling the remote for the savage. their was only a few things on your list that i would have gotten off the start and waited on the rest until i had it broken in and seen what was not performing to your expectations but hey if it works for you have fun..hehe..

what is the current remote not doing that you cannot live without? hehe... you know if you buy that remote you have to buy the extras for it
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM
steed2-inactive

my dx3s came with all the telemetry sensors, hell, they even through in a spare receiver.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
sparky 25

My dx3s also came with all the telemetry sensors and 2 receivers,

It even comes with batteries,

The dx3s radio is the easiest to run radio as far as batteries are concerned,

Mine is still on the original 4AA batteries it came with nearly 3 years ago,

Every other radio I have owned would eat batteries in weeks and with rechargeables they needed charged every other run out,

I really don't think the want for new rc stuff really leaves us,

but sometimes we just need to pull our horns in and slow down on buying stuff that we really don't need,

I need to stop buying stuff too,

Just last week I bought a 23cc boat,
extra lipos for my savage flux,
new 6s charger, bodyshell,
Lipo checker, pinion removal tool, tool stand, and some other bits,

All the above I already had except the boat, so really just quenching my thirst for some new rc stuff,

I'm finished spending until the January sales.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 AM
sharkattack99

to answer your question No it doesn't slow down lol
Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Zrock

if you want good rechargeable batteries go for the sanyo envalope.. i use them in my DSLR flash and can take roughly 800 pictures before i need to recharge.. i have a set in my radio since i bought in still running strong.. they keep the same power from start to finish.. great batteries and cheep
Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on the person

I go the opposite direction I only do mandatory upgrades for durability on RC's.
For example my Savage X its list of upgrades that I'e done include the engine kill button (giant piece of plastic that hits the flywheel to stop it), RPM skid plate, and an integy tank guard(got it cause where I was bashing it at the time I spun it and hit the side into a tree hard a couple times). I had a chrome pipe on it, and quickly learned they are not worth it as I crushed it literally when I slammed it once so back on went the plastic.. Only other non stock part the savage has is the arms are RPM, but that was done by the previous owner. (this list does not include electronics, or bodies)

My savage flux only real upgrades are the TVP's are 5mm's thick aftermarket plates (the stock ones I heard bent easy), integy rear carriers (the stocks ball ends kept falling apart) and uhh think that's it(again not including electronics).

only RC I really went out on with bling was my MT2 (1st RC) but learned from that most of the "upgrades" are worthless, and detrimental to the RC.
I found instead of going all out on 1 RC its better to buy 2
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm more like Syco Venom. I believe the vast majority of "upgrades"/mods are a waste of money*. I do the bare minimum to ensure durability. Especially with MT's - more mods generally means more problems. I have two LST2's, and the one that is more stock is far more durable than the one I made more changes to. Back with my XSS Savage too, I had a generally negative experience - and it had front extended Chroinic TVP's from the get-go, and a few other things.. My stock .25 was awesome though..(the X thing also has to do with plastics, but that's a different story..)

I do however have a current problem of accumulating too many cars. I just ordered my 7th full on 8th scale RC.. I plan to sell minimum two after the new year.. But yeah, we'll see.. It's hard to get a good price these days for a used RC, so why not just leave a couple in the cellar for parts or to rejuvenate later?... I think the second LST2 has to go, the DM-1, and possibly the RC8.2.

* except maybe with Traxxas, whose entire business model is based on the need to mod/upgrade flimsy RTR's.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I'm more like Syco Venom. I believe the vast majority of ''upgrades''/mods are a waste of money*. I do the bare minimum to ensure durability. Especially with MT's - more mods generally means more problems. I have two LST2's, and the one that is more stock is far more durable than the one I made more changes to. Back with my XSS Savage too, I had a generally negative experience - and it had front extended Chroinic TVP's from the get-go, and a few other things.. My stock .25 was awesome though..(the X thing also has to do with plastics, but that's a different thing...)

I do however have a current problem of accumulating too many cars. I just ordered my 7th full on 8th scale RC.. I plan to sell minimum two after the new year.. But yeah, we'll see.. It's hard to get a good price these days for a used RC, so why not just leave a couple in the cellar for parts or to rejuvenate later?...

* except maybe with Traxxas, whose entire business model is based on the need to mod/upgrade flimsy RTR's.

what did you end up ordering ? your an addict now LOL !
Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM
HerrSavage

I'll post pics when it gets here...

(%50 of the price btw is my X-mas present.. Didn't really need a new pullover or socks or whatever.., so why not?)
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I'm more like Syco Venom. I believe the vast majority of ''upgrades''/mods are a waste of money*. I do the bare minimum to ensure durability. Especially with MT's - more mods generally means more problems. I have two LST2's, and the one that is more stock is far more durable than the one I made more changes to. Back with my XSS Savage too, I had a generally negative experience - and it had front extended Chroinic TVP's from the get-go, and a few other things.. My stock .25 was awesome though..(the X thing also has to do with plastics, but that's a different thing...)

I do however have a current problem of accumulating too many cars. I just ordered my 7th full on 8th scale RC.. I plan to sell minimum two after the new year.. But yeah, we'll see.. It's hard to get a good price these days for a used RC, so why not just leave a couple in the cellar for parts or to rejuvenate later?...

I only got 5 1/8th scales
looking at my RC's(20+) I only got 1 that is 100% stock, and that is a tamiya hornet
My RC18b is probably the next runner up as the only aftermarket part I put on was a cover over the drive gear so no pebbles could get stuck between the spur, and pinion.
outside those they got durability mods, or were modded to be different (like my 6wd wheely king that uses 98% stock HPI parts )
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Borneoben

Thanks for all the answers guys!

Well I guess i have spent the extra money on the simple upgrades as i was abel to get them for reasonable prices and that i had also sold allot of my other RC stuff.

I am in an unusual situation where i can normally get what i paid when selling my used RC gear.
I currently live in Qatar in the Middle East and Everything especially RC is very expensive. To get my Savage XL i had to pay more than 200 dollars more than you guys would. But that made sense to me as if i had to buy one from teh states the shipping would have cost me close to 200 dollars!

I am considering the DX3s at the moment as the stock TX feels so cheap in your hands. I am used to using a DX8 for my Planes, helis and Multirotos
plus AmpDraw hobbies has them for 146 bucks new with the 2 rx's and all the telemetry sensors.

Will see what happens in the new year.

For now though i am just collecting the spares that are commonly needed and will probably wait for something to break and see what is the best option replace with stock or upgrade.

Cheers All
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 PM
HerrSavage

Earlier this year there was a deal going here too for the DX3S with second receiver. I bought it, despite reading about all the range and other quality issues. I installed it, and took it out to test, and immediately had range issues after like 40-50 meters. Returned it immediately and bought a Sanwa/Airtronics - far better.. The new MX-V is a good radio for a decent price. The MT-4 is expensive, but has the telemetry.. Receivers are also pricey. Airtronics/Sanwa make far, FAR better radios though. Just food for thought.

Being a sucker for a deal, living in a country where stuff often is(or used to be) way overpriced, is a big part of my addiction... Actually, prices here for most things have come down to earth the last few years..
Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Borneoben

That's interesting what you say about the Range issues?

Is this a common problem as its the first i have heard?

Is yours a DSMx version?

Cheers

Ben
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Borneoben

Sorry my mistake i thought the DX3S was DSMx but it seems its only DSM2.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 AM
HerrSavage

I'd heard about range issues with the DX3S for years, in addition to general quality issues (roller thing falling off, general shoddy plastic, etc..) And it was all proven true as soon as I used it. The DX3S is more show than go. Sounds good with all the gimmicky telemetry stuff, but it doesn't really deliver. I also hear different things about how well the telemetry works. If you need telemetry and can afford it, the MT-4 is worth it I would say.. You pay more, but you get something with really good quality and reliability.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Borneoben

Found this group test just now

I know its a bit old but it shows how bad the range is on the DX3S compared to the other systems.

the Futaba 3PM look like nice radio for the price along with the KO Propo EX-5 UR

But the 

Airtronics MX-Sport and MX-V looks like a great Value as well 

Either of these would be a good budget upgrade from the stock RTR Radio.

Any Experience or knowledge of these radios?

Cheers

Ben

Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 AM
HerrSavage

I got the MX Sport after returning my DX3S, and used it for about six months. It worked fine, but was a bit clunky, and charging 8 AA's got annoying.

I then got the MX-V, and like it a lot. It's basically an MT-4 without the bells and whistles. Light, compact, good in the hand.. Happy with it. Wish I could charge it with a cable instead of 4 AA's, but oh well... I feel like, for the money, it's the best you can get.

Here in Germany BTW it's cheaper to buy a whole MX Sport kit when you need a new receiver, than to just buy a receiver separately...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Borneoben

Thanks for the feedback

lets see what the new year brings

Its my Birthday very soon as well!!

Cheers

Ben
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM
steed2-inactive

im going on 3 years with my dx3s, its a little scratched up from being tossed around, havent had one issue ever with it, and i can drive my car so far away thats its silly.

As far as upgrading my trucks, its my favourite part. i love putting in a stonger engine or replacing a weak designed part with an upgraded aluminum peice, etc.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:30 PM
sparky 25

Never had any issues with my dx3s,

Range is good as is the build quality,

I'm at the point where I have upgraded all my RC's,

mostly by pulling the nitro engines and fitting brushless motors, even went brushless in my 1/5 truck,

Think Most people in the hobby like to change things around a bit.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
straitnickel

OK, it slows down after while... just kidding I live for this hobby