Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

70+mph Savage Speed

Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 AM
llkoolskillet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 70+mph Savage Speed

ORIGINAL: dragonbat13

Man that Ti gear is really chewed up. I pulled mine out the other day and I dont have much longer with it. I am gonna swap it out with a steel gear.

I doubt it will matter with the grenade problem, but are you going to go with steel on that hear next time? I suppose your wanting the overall weight reduction of the truck with the titanium. I know one thing, titanium is expensive!
The TI trans gears are garbage and wear extremely fast. Didnt even have a gallon on mine and they looked like they have been ran for 10+ gallons haha

No I will not be running the TI gears inside my tranny anymore. I will be putting the TI shafts back in but im keeping the steel gears. I know that it adds a little more in rotaional mass but honestly I have no issues getting off the line where the reduction in rotating mass has the biggest affect. When im already up to speed it doesnt matter if th gear is a few grams lighter or not. Inertia will have taken over from then. Now If I can blow up a steel tranny.... GO ME
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 AM
BANKRUPTER

Nuts man .. keep up the work!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 PM
llkoolskillet

Just rebuilt both my ERCM picco monsters. Hoping tomorrow I don't get rained out I've got dreams to crush.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Insanity99

Any updates to share?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
llkoolskillet

I'm hoping to run this weekend, I've got some new gearing on. It should be interesting now that I'm on a flat road and no longer pulling up a small hill. My run out distance has been cut in half which is awesome. I have gone lower on the gearing and I do not have any issues spinning all four wheels on take off. This summer is going to be nuts!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 AM
BChiz

Looking forward to it man!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM
llkoolskillet

Well it would seem today I was fighting gremlins. Truck was locked in 3rd, but still pullin amazing speeds. 20/26t gearing pullin 71.8mph!!! This is ERCM Power [>:]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZB7mqO0wI[/youtube]

This truck can still take a lickin with crashes over 70mph

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4is-Fbv7tHA[/youtube]
Old 05-05-2013, 02:05 PM
llkoolskillet

Once again I stripped an all metal 3spd tranny lol ERCM Power once again to blame here

Now after I went home and fixed the tranny I went back out and pulled 74.9mph! So close to 75 which is my goal. I did reach over 74 a couple times and had a crash at 74.2mph which resulted in a broken shock and a stripped upper a arm. Thats all that broke considering it flipped at over 74mph. Still a very tough savage

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN4zz9QVQOs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CseOdTKs6A[/youtube]
Old 05-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Car-Tune

75 for me
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM
BChiz

Great work as usual man. That dual engine project is getting closer by the day!!!!!!!!!! Congrats.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: Car-Tune

75 for me
Its close enough but im not stoppin until the number on gps reads 75. I know If i had used radar it probably would have read 75 or 76, that being said gps is more accurate imo.

Now imagine what I can do with 2 ERCM Piccos hehe. Ill take the savage wheres its never been
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 AM
sshine440

Nice work LL but where can I c the proof of 73.1 is there a video ?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 PM
llkoolskillet

Heres my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/LLkoolskillet2/videos

Lots of videos there with some crazy speeds
Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM
sshine440

Ok watched all your record runs ,,,, Nice vids but noticed in all video's .that your truck leaves the view of the camera for a few ....some could wonder if something might be changed be for it comes back into view . Maybe you should have someone run the camera . Just trying to keep it all believable and so u won't b questioned about the record you now hold . That would be easy to do for us right maybe when u hit 75 we can see the truck the full pass .
Old 08-18-2013, 04:34 AM
llkoolskillet

Glad you enjoyed them as for the camera, no one has challenged me other than you on the camera. I agree it would be nice to have some better shots. I do have a small camera for airplanes but it won't hold a charge(cheap Chinese crap). However I did buy one of those 808 key chain cameras. Hopefully it works cause it will change the way my runs look.

I should also note that if I'm so willing to reset the GPS every run and document my build in its entirety and post videos, why would I cheat on a video. I don't have anyone else that can go with so I make what I have work.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 AM
BChiz

You have worked so hard Skillet. I definitely trust you.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 AM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llkoolskillet
However I did buy one of those 808 key chain cameras. Hopefully it works cause it will change the way my runs look.
this is what I do with mine... problem solved
great videos!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4618.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2235263
Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
llkoolskillet

Bought that camera just waiting for it to come in. I'm going to strap it to the truck tho
Old 08-18-2013, 06:25 PM
sv250

At that speed how could you keep it in view the entire time? You would need an areial view. You can hear the engine running continuously and see that it makes a return run. He needs to find out when RCCA does their speed day and let them record it.

Thats the first time Ive seen taht little camera. Maybe he can find a way to mount it showing the GPS climb and the road at the same time.

When it comes down to it anything can be faked. Take the gps for a run in the car first, recalibrate the radar gun, video editing etc. Sometimes you just have to give credibility until given a reason not to.

Wheather you belive his video or not, it is the only one out tthere to look at....
Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 AM
supertib

without question I believe his speeds are real...........like anything in life the more time someone puts into something the more successful they will be at it........from what I see he has put by far the most time into making his Savage the fastest out there.... He has been at this for quite some time now and has slowly pushed his envelope further and further.......Tho I might not respect the guy because of his poor attitude, I am impressed by what he's done with his Savage...70 plus MPH from a nitro Savage is no joke.....Best I could get was like 52 MPH...but I only spent one day on it, we stuck a mod 28 in a bone stock Savage XL on Terrapins..... After eating a few gears we called it quits for good !
Old 08-19-2013, 08:34 AM
llkoolskillet

When it comes to any kind of compitetion, there are always going to be some feathers ruffled somewhere along the line. This is just a by product of people being competative. I choose to share my quests because I enjoy this hobby and I hope that people learn some things from them regardless if they like me or not.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:12 AM
supertib

Originally Posted by llkoolskillet
When it comes to any kind of compitetion, there are always going to be some feathers ruffled somewhere along the line. This is just a by product of people being competative. I choose to share my quests because I enjoy this hobby and I hope that people learn some things from them regardless if they like me or not.

Absolute BS..........Come to any real race or sport competition and nobody acts like you do..and if they do, they get ejected for poor sportsmanship......... I have been involved in competition my entire life and being a poor sport has never been a part of any of it........If you feel you need to ruffle feathers to compete then you truly know nothing about competing...... Anyways I am calling it like I see it, I see you as very poor sport............ I truly suggest you take up track racing, actually do something where you have some actual competition, and compete against others who are also as into it as you are.............I believe you will find racing a truggy/buggy takes far more skill and technical know how then what you are doing right now, and I also think you will be very humbled by the experience.......come see what a real high performance RC can do.......its a whole different world then playing with a Savage, I promise you that !
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM
llkoolskillet

I can totally understand why you have been banned from other forums, you just can't leave well enough alone.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM
supertib

....Being that I am usually a leader and a trail blazer it opens me up to criticisms and attacks from skeptics and haters who are unable to understand and accept what I say and do.with these engines...... It wasn't long ago I was banned on HPISF and SC over Axial vs Picco .Back then if you read the forums the absolute best engine was the Axial 32 ! and dam did those Axial guys get mad when I started trying to set the record straight ........ Now a few years later and knowledge has caught up I don't think anyone here would argue with me whats better ! I was banned for pimping the Picco and dissing the Axias..... seems funny now, but back then the Axial had an almost cult like following and anyone who tried to say anything negative was publicly flayed .....

At the end of the day i am all about competition, just leave the poor sportsmanship at the door..... If you want to pick a fight, then man up and pick a fight, but don't mask a personal vendetta with a so called top speed challenge.....as it doesn't take a genius to see the beef you guys have has nothing to do with top speed............ Its a shame that you "MT" * guys cant get along well enough to even have a simple speed competition without it turning into a dick swinging contest ! its a shame as I would have enjoyed following the contest.......70 MPH is insane, and it could have been great promotion for your sponsors...

* I dont intend to lump all the MT guys together into one, as I know not everyone is this way, but there is definitely a much higher number of childish grudge arguments on the MT forums the we see on the race forums..... it does seems a certain personality is drawn to those boards and their egos are as inflated as the tires on their trucks ! when too many type A personalities get together the results are usually not good !

Last edited by supertib; 08-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM
sv250

You werent banned from S/C for dissing Axials. I dont know of any thread there remotely close. You were banned for constantly advertising your product and telling everybody that thay were idiots for not owning a Mugen. Every advice/help thread that was posted your reply was get a Mugan followed by a Clockwerks comercial. Im pretty sure you were banned from HPISF for the exact same thing.

If you want to butt heads with LL, than do it without smearing other forums with false information. Other forums shouldnt even be brought up in this thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.