Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

flux mods??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM
indianrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flux mods??

Hi everyone,
Finally I am back in the hobby.My savage flux is in dire need of some parts and mods.My quaries are-

1]WHEELS and TIRES
I have these in mind,
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Wheel-Black-2
I am not a racer,I will be running mostly on hard/medium packed dirt and grass and ocassionally on asphalt.So,will these work for me or is there something better?Should I use a smaller pinion with it(I am running the stock one with 21 teeth)
The other problem with the wheels is the STRIPPING HEXES.Will the proline wheels be better than the stock ones at this??How do i get around this problem??

2]DIFF OIL
I hate it when even at the slightest turn the inside wheels spin an NO power goes to the outside ones.Will changing the diff oil help?what kind and viscosity of diff oil should I use?
I have installed sway bars butcouldnt test them due inavailability of wheels.

3]THREADLOCK
I have a RED colored threadlock but it is very hard.I have used it on the wheelnuts and a couple of other place and no matter how hard I thried the nuts wont come off and got rounded and started slipping.IS THERE A WEAKER THREADLOCK SUITABLE FOR ME??

4]DAMPER OIL
What viscosity of damped oil is best for light bashing and comparatively better stability and handeling (I don't expect it to handle a buggy.)

Thanks a lot guys you always come through
ABHISHEK MISHRA

Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: flux mods??

1. Yes, they will work and provide good grip on any loose surface. If you do mixed running on asphalt and dust and grass, then you should use a more general purpose and lightweight tire. Such as the stock ones. The stock Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 tires and wheels would also be a good choice and are probably cheap. They are very light so will let you put more power down. Proline Trenchers (the MT ones, not the 40s) are also a very good all round tire, but quite heavy.

2. Yes, put 50k in both ends. No thought required.

3. Never use red threadlock. You are probably going to have to hack the nut, axle and wheel to bits with a dremel, just to get it off the hubs. Use blue threadlock next time. You could try using a pentorch (mini blowtorch, yes seriously) to help break the red threadlock down and then try again with a pair of mole grips to remove the nut, but you have set yourself a tough challenge there. The actual solution to the wheels falling off is to use lightweight wheels, a good aftermarket 17mm hex hub set (Integy actually has a decent one), and blue threadlock on the nuts. IF they still come off, and/or strip, pm me and I'll tell you the ultimate solution, but you don't want to go there until you've tried everything else.

4) I think I have 35 in mine.

You want my advice? Sell it as is for as much as you can get and buy either a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 or an electric truggy. The Savage Flux cannot handle serious brushless power, I know. It is an aged platform now and cannot match the durability or pefroemance of modern truggies, therefore, I think it should retire and bow out gracefully, before it tarnishes its long standing reputation, and becomes the smelly guy in the corner of the party that everyone wishes would just leave.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM
indianrc

ORIGINAL: Foxy

1. Yes, they will work and provide good grip on any loose surface. If you do mixed running on asphalt and dust and grass, then you should use a more general purpose and lightweight tire. Such as the stock ones. The stock Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 tires and wheels would also be a good choice and are probably cheap. They are very light so will let you put more power down. Proline Trenchers (the MT ones, not the 40s) are also a very good all round tire, but quite heavy.

3. Never use red threadlock. You are probably going to have to hack the nut, axle and wheel to bits with a dremel, just to get it off the hubs. Use blue threadlock next time. You could try using a pentorch (mini blowtorch, yes seriously) to help break the red threadlock down and then try again with a pair of mole grips to remove the nut, but you have set yourself a tough challenge there. The actual solution to the wheels falling off is to use lightweight wheels, a good aftermarket 17mm hex hub set (Integy actually has a decent one), and blue threadlock on the nuts. IF they still come off, and/or strip, pm me and I'll tell you the ultimate solution, but you don't want to go there until you've tried everything else.

You want my advice? Sell it as is for as much as you can get and buy either a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 or an electric truggy. The Savage Flux cannot handle serious brushless power, I know. It is an aged platform now and cannot match the durability or pefroemance of modern truggies, therefore, I think it should retire and bow out gracefully, before it tarnishes its long standing reputation, and becomes the smelly guy in the corner of the party that everyone wishes would just leave.
which one of thhese should I get??
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...rs-Thread-Lock
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Foxy

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...d-Locker-020oz
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM
indianrc

thankyou soo much mate!!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 PM
sparky 25

Just one thing I found the savage flux to be lacking in, the steering power,

Was running a hobbico cs-170 titanium geared servo and was still not impressed with the steering power,

Switched to a 1/5 scale 30kg power servo,

This servo has unreal power and has given me new interest in the savage,

Lock to lock on any surface stood still and more precise steering overall,

Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Can not agree more with that.
Bought a used truggy the guy used red threadlock EVERY DAMN PART. It took me a full day to disassemble (and 2 butane lighters) for me to finally get it apart to clean and repair. What should have taken me less then an hour took me over 8 hours straight. Then the chassis was also damaged heavily due to the guy having issues taking screws off.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 PM
indianrc

oh guys!!
one more thing
Can I use these hex adapters
http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=87229
with the proline wheels?is there anything better?
I plan in extending the pin that goes through the axle to stop the hex stripping.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Foxy

If you do the pin mod (good choice), it does not mattery what hexes you use, as long as they fit on the truck. Those that you have linked should be fine.