Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

HPI Jumpshot gearbox and thoughts about Bliz/Firestorm

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI Jumpshot gearbox and thoughts about Bliz/Firestorm

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:38 AM
badnab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Jumpshot gearbox and thoughts about Bliz/Firestorm

So I own a HPI Jumpshot for about 3-4 months now and after recently my brushed motor burned I decided it will be cheaper to replace it with a brushless system, so I got one in AliExpress.

It has been running fine and I have got through couple of packs, but on the last run gearbox started rattling. I have read on the forums that this might be idler gear issue as inside of gearbox is all plastic and when I opened it up - I confirmed the issue.

Was searching forums for workarounds on how this could be fixed, one of the guys suggested to make a central diff, however I did not find any examples or tutorials on how it's done, plus gearbox is sitting on the back of the car.

Just recently, one of the guys on local used RC marketplace posted a HPI Blitz without electronics. It comes with a metal gearbox, so idler gear would not be a problem and started thinking if I should transfer all electronics to Blitz and go for a short course bash. Though, it's my main concern - as I mainly use Jumpshot for bashing and fun - and it's doing great at not breaking - I was thinking that Blitz may not be as fun and could be more challenging through rougher terrain. On the plus side, Blitz also has more upgrade parts than Jumpshot (which has only spur gears on official site if we ignore integy upgrade parts).

Need your thoughts, suggestions
Old 01-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a blliz and a firestorm and love them both. I bought them used and pretty beat up (the blitz anyways). The blitz was brushed when I bought it and the speed was fine on 2s lipo but the motor ran really hot on anything offroad. It handles awesome could powerslide and on the the right surface turn on a dime. The stock tires on the blitz are a jack of all trades but master of none. I changed them out for some aka cityblocks and on short grass and in the dirt its great (but can not go onroad with the tires they will wear out to fast). I put in a Tsky 120a esc (hobbywing clone) and a used Speed Passsion 6.5t motor (the speed is awesome with this) and have been tearing up the dirt and short grass ever since. The blitz is fun to drive handles good (in my opinion) and is durable. I have not broke anyhing on it (that I can remember). The diff I have not touched since I bought it and have not had a single problem (although I am going to take it apart soon and relube it). The firestorm is the same as the blitz without the front and rear bumpers. Mine is the older one with motiv esc (castle rebrand) and 5700kv motor (wheelie machine). The only thing I added to it was a rpm bumper and wheelie bar (when I bought it did not have one). The only thing I had to replace on it was a steering knuckle (my fault bad driving hard impact with the wheel). Ground clearance is a issue they do not have much. If anything you could turn the blitz into a good racetrack racer (although I do not race).

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-17-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:51 AM
mercerbeef

Read the Efirestorm thread for more info
Old 08-14-2020, 11:45 AM
xxsumpter88xx

Default Jumpshot st steel idler gear

I have been looking for a steel idler gear #120113 For the jumoshot st. I've looked everywhere I could find, even emailed some shops thar carry hpi parts. Can anyone please help me find it. Thanks in advance