Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI Savage Flux HP good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Neymar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Savage Flux HP good choice?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a HPI Savage Flux HP. I've had a couple of RC cars, i've had an HPI Bullet 3.0, sold it because nitro isn't my thing. Then bought a Rustler VXL, year later a E-Maxx Brushless Edition (second hand). A year ago I sold my Rustler VXL and E-Maxx Brushless Edition to buy a E-Revo Brushless Edition. The E-Maxx wasn't durable at all, and much people said the E-Revo Brushless Edition is way more durable then a E-Maxx. Okay, it is, but the diffs and the driveshafts aren't. I broke my diffs 4 times in 4 weeks, which is too much. Because I was just mad I sold the truck to buy something REALLY durable.

Now i'm trying to look as good as I can to buy a durable truck, and the Savage Flux HP is way more durable then a E-Revo or E-Maxx I read. The thing I see much, is 'just buy a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3'. I looked at it, and don't like the look of it. So it won't be the TT MT4 G3.

But I really like the Savage. It can take 6s, hell yeah. The E-Revo couldn't take 6s at all (the way I drive it), one time i drove 6s and broke the rear diff (which was brand new, I replaced it and shimmed it!), and 3 driveshafts...unbelievable.

But will the Savage Flux HP be a good car for me? I just want a strong car, that can take the power of the MMM. I love the MMM combo, but not when my truck can't take the power.

I'm not a die-hard basher, but I like pulling the throttle. I know the backflips would give me a kick. Love the power. But are the diffs strong? And what about the stability of the truck? It's an MT, my Bullet was an MT too, and the stability was acceptable for an MT, is it the same for the Savage?

Thanks!

Greets.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Next edition

My freind had his for over a year before he sold it and it went very well,shock oil stiffer springs and better tyres are the only things he had done to it.

Although ive seen reveiws stating the lower a arms and hexes aint very good for big jumps and the drive gear is the only weak point in the drivetrain.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On 6S anything will break
the Diffs will last fine unless you land with the throttle on if you do you probably will need new diffs (specially on 6S)

If you want a pure MT that behaves like a MT made for big jumps, and wheelies, and behaves more like a truck on Monster Jam then yes the Savage flux is good.

If you want some tight corner taking machine that is a truggy dressed up as a MT (that is what the mt4 G3 is) then no the savage would not be good

I will say make sure you have a tube of blue loctight, and you take out all the grub screws(even the one on the pinion), and put loctite on it, and screw it back in to cut yourself a pile of headaches 2-3 weeks down the line.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:04 AM
savage dust bunny

I agree with SyCo_VeNoM

Anything on 6S and you're asking for trouble

I bash my savage at a skate park which is ridiculously unforgiving when I crash but it holds up quite fine. Note I'm running 4S and still do backflips etc.

As SyCo wrote, landing with WOT = busted diffs etc.

Check out savagejunky on YT - he's got a video that shows how you jump n more importantly land your truck without messing it up.

6S requires serious focus and good driving, otherwise it's just a case of: what the hell happened, another diff bust, a hex broken...I want a real tough car and I'm now selling this one.

The MT4 G3 can handle a serious beating and personally is only a modicum away from being as tough as a savage - in my humble biased op
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Neymar

I don't like the look of the MT3 G3, but I love the look of the Savage. I've had an E-Maxx Brushless Edition and an E-Revo Brushless Edition. For me, I still think the E-Maxx Brushless Edition has the best MT look and the E-Revo Brushless Edition the best ST/Truggy look, they are just beautiful, but they both can't handle the power of the MMM on 4S, although the E-Maxx could the way I drove it, so you don't have to try 6S (on both). On my E-Maxx I drove on 4S, it was holding op pretty well but I shimmed the diffs and wasn't driving fast at all because I knew the diffs would die. I broke 1 diff on my E-Maxx. And then I bought a E-Revo Brushless Edition with my stupid head because it was looking like a beast. Tried 4S, after 3 runs my rear diff broke. Shimmed the new diffs front and rear, tried 4S, okay..then tried 6S some speedruns (not driving fast too), broke second diff and driveshafts. Then back to 4S, new diffs...
And within 12 runs I broke 4 diff, 2 times 6S. And for me in The Netherlands it isn't cheap, €30,- for one diff!

But the Savage will not die if I do some backflips? So...the diffs are strong enough to do some speedruns and bash a little?
I don't like backflips at all, but just to know if the diffs are strong. I think I will do it once a month, just for the fun.
If the diffs break, will be the Bullet Proof diffs from HPI be a good choice to buy?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Next edition

E firestorm with mt wheels at least its all steel trans and has a slipper clutch.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Neymar

Will this battery fit?...2 of them ofcourse

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lash_4x4_.html
Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Neymar

Anyone?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:23 AM
Next edition

Yip make them fit got a dremel.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:29 AM
Neymar

But won't it fit without a dremel? I don't have a dremel...
As I look at the dimensions and compare it to the HPI batteries for the Savage Flux then this Turnigy battery would fit easily?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Next edition

Yeah for sure-smaller because thats nano technology.