Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Savage XL Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:39 PM
EcstasyAeternus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Savage XL Engine Question

Hey there,

Just got a new Savage XL with the 5.9 engine. Did 3 or 4 tanks of idle break in, 2 tanks of very light parking lot mid-throttle driving, and about 2 tanks of mid-throttle with full throttle bursts. Just had a few questions. The manual lists 250F as too hot. Normal operating temp super rich is around 215-230. After full throttle bursts, it peaks at 265. Is that ok? (I tend to think it is, but who knows). Also, sometimes when I give it full throttle, it'll stutter unless i've already been on mid throttle for a second or two. It will rev up then go "wub wub wub wub wub" and lose power, but not turn off. FWIW, I'm using a crap old spark plug because the stock one was dead on arrival (it was weird, it literally will not ignite, so I'm using a leftover plug from my RS4 MT). It might have to do with the old plug, but I have the engine really rich (tons of blue smoke, fuel/oil coming out of exhaust) so I don't think it's too lean. I read that it could also mean the engine isn't fully broken in yet, but I'm going on 10 tanks now. I haven't closed the needles yet and set them back to factory.. I actually have to figure out what that means since the manual doesn't use turns, it says like "flush with carb" so I'll have to look into that ^^
Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is a tad late as I don't generally click over to the savage forums as they kinda died off big time

The issue with the stock plug is its pretty cold from what I remember, and the engine is set WAY too rich to even start it. I remember when I got my engine started with the stock plug, and the stock settings after 15 minutes the engine didn't even break 190 which actually damaged the con-rod which I found out later. As for 265 should be fine some people say they can hit 280, and be fine.

The way you describe it your tune is WAY off. Some smoke is fine fuel it shouldn't be spitting out. This also could be why it sounds like it is dying on full throttle too much fuel is probably flowing in.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Budda1224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a xl and my tuning job seems to be holding up very well just put some losi monster truck tires on the back and now i am waiting for my ofna servo linkage to come in to fix all brake and throttle issues. #HPI