Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Savage flux xs - should have done this and not that?

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage flux xs - should have done this and not that?

Old 02-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Updating

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage flux xs - should have done this and not that?

Hi folks,

New to the site, not to the hobby. I used to bash hard back in the mid 80s, early 90s. Ran a grasshopper, lunch box, Toyota Tom, and team losi truck... A few others.

Well times have changed over the years and I missed a big gap over the last decade. So, long story short, I ordered a savage flux xs, after having a chance to mess around bashing my neighbors. He also has an Arrma mega which is pretty fun.

I should have my xs by the weekend, and was hoping the more experienced could offer some knowledge. I'm looking for information regarding the, I should have done this first, etc. or I wish I'd have done this from the start.

What at ive read so far is possibly the oil in the front diff, and maybe aluminum shocks. I also read getting the castle usb can be a really nice tool for tuning. What are your experiences you could share with an old head looking to bash big and bash hard.

For what it's worth, im prepared for it to break, and ready to wrench.

Heres some pics pics of bashing the neighbors xs today. Nice spot with loose dirt, big rocks, and a natural dirt half pipe with some lovely artwork in the back ground. Sorry for the blurry pics, the xs was just to fast to snap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	2073824   Click image for larger version

Views:	68
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2073825   Click image for larger version

Views:	82
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2073826   Click image for larger version

Views:	72
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2073827   Click image for larger version

Views:	79
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2073828  
Old 02-16-2015, 04:28 PM
Updating

I had ordered a few goodies with the xs, that I forgot to mention. I ordered a venom 3s 3200mah, the 32T-60T hpi idler, and 24T pinion. I'm pretty stoked to bash this thing. Im going to be anxious all week, and probably break it in five minutes... X fingers. Neighbor will be ready with the camera.

edit: I see a couple companies offering hop up mods. Are they apples to apples or apples to oranges, in the quality department? Integy and asiatees seem to have decent billet, and titanium components. Is one company better in quality, or better in warranty their gear? Does one offer a more durable component? Im hoping your experience with mods can help me from blowing money on a subpar mod.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Updating; 02-16-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:51 AM
lilbrett

Stay away from Integy!!! What are you looking to swap with alloy parts?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Updating

Originally Posted by lilbrett
Stay away from Integy!!! What are you looking to swap with alloy parts?
I was looking to do a suspension upgrade and possibly control arms. I figure if any of the drive train breaks i.e. Dog bones, Or cups, I'll replace with HD components.

seems like the stock shocks can't take the abuse being dished out.

whats bad about integy? I know nothing of them, so any info is appreciated.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:58 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Integy is known for using cheap aluminum. There are a couple products that are okay to use but most you should really stay away from. I do not own a XS as of yet but have been reading up on them, but, just like it's big brother, if you are going to bash hard, stay away from aluminum suspension components besides shocks. One aluminum bends, it's junk. Plastic arms will bend back if not broken. Only upgrade what breaks. I hear the tires are not so good too.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Updating

Originally Posted by pcarluvr
I hear the tires are not so good too.
Thanks for the tips. I was curious how aluminum would hold up to abuse. Makes sense it will bend under stress. I guess stay with plastic and a possible shock upgrade. I'll stock up on plastic components.

Are re you referencing the stock tires? My neighbors does ok on 2s, but I noticed they can't handle 3s at all. I was looking at getting some better tires. The rubber studded tires look amazing.

Thanks again
Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Updating

OTB bashing tonight. Below freezing temps, WOT, hard spins. Neighbor ran into XS with his green goblin and shattered his diff. XS didn't mind. All was good until a WOT reverse hard turn and blew out the cup and bent dog bone. Good thing he had a HD cup to slap in. Looks like a spare part order is coming sooner then later.

OTB bashing tomorrow. Hopefully will have some decent pics of air time and big rooster tails.

Views:	309
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	2075042  
Old 02-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Updating

No pics of the bash. To cold and snow was falling. Dirt was still a bit loose at OT. Big air drops and the shock tip gave out. Pulled a few back flips off the pipe though. Bubs didn't make it out so easy - he snapped his front diff cup.

Views:	350
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2075266  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Updating

OTB in the lot next to the house. Some nice snow piles from the plow. Nothing broken today.

Views:	309
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	2075454   Click image for larger version

Views:	297
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	2075455   Click image for larger version

Views:	313
Size:	124.2 KB