Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Thoughts - Trencher X and 18T pinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 AM
hedonist222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts - Trencher X and 18T pinion

Hello gents,

So I put on some Trencher Xs on my savage flux hp.
Oh and a HD 18-23 drive gear.

Some info:
Terrain: Sand (not super soft yet not hard pack)
Batteries: Black Magic 6000 mAh 2s 99C
Vehicle: stock (sans above)

my observations: (bear in mind, while I'm not professional, I'm not a noob either - I'm an enthusiast)

Tires

1- grip
These tires afforded so much grip. The thing eats up terrain.

2-agility
Lack of actually.
It's no longer nimble in turns like stock tires.
I'm not complaining. I realize wider tires will yield this. I'm just pointing it out.
One needs to plan turns a few seconds in advance.

3- stability
I love how much stability these tires added while taking sharp trend or u-turns (aka hairpin turns).
While they're not very apt at abrupt turns & don't respond quickly to sharp turns, they are enduro grade tires.
Long stretches of terrain.

Down gearing:

1- major loss in top end torque

2-major gaingain in low end torque

3- loss of speed

4-gained acceleration

Again, not complaining. I realize this is what down gearing does.

But, this is the subjective part, while the loss of top is a welcome facet because it makes handling this sheer beast a bit easier, I do miss the raw top end torque on stock gearing.
Yes, I know I can try a 19T pinion, but it's summer here. It's 35 C to 40 C (95 C to 105 f) while playing. Maybe my vehicle will overheat with a 19 T pinion.

I think these 2 modifications (down gearing while adding bigger & wider tires complement each other.
The increase from 2.2 to 2.4 is very obvious with its instant torque, to an already molto torqued beast, is perfectly balanced with these goliath tires that enhance handling.

These tires like speeds. They handle long distances, large bumps & planned slow turns very well.
These tires imo are not suited for sharp turns.
Yet they provide so much grip. I don't feel they lose contact with the ground like the stock tires.
The loss of nimbleness is made up by the extra torque from down gearing.

Trencher X & Trencher 40 series 2.0 for my son's Slash 4x4 (ended up swapping them for trencher x 2.8 instead. I ordered the 40 series in 2.0 because I didn't know the slash 4x4 could take 2.8s)

Side by side with stock

Old 06-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The extra width of the tire does effect how responsive or nimble the truck is, but the other reason you lost some response is due to the wheels. Those wheels look like they are 1/2 offset (wider offset) than stock, this will slow response and also make them harder for the steering servo to turn. If you'd like to gain some response back and make the truck more nimble upgrade the steering servo to one with 250oz or more of torque and a speed of .15 or faster.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 AM
hedonist222

Do you mean the wheels are inside the tire? Yes, then they're 1/2 offset.
But how does being offset affect response?

I have the HPI SF-50 in my vehicle already. It came stock.

Specs as per manual:
Specificationa. Voltage 4.8V to 6.0Vb. Torque 12kg/cm (266.6oz/in) 6.0Vc. Speed 0.18sec/60° (6.0V)d. Dimensions: See the drawing.e. Weight 52.9g (1.86oz)

Last edited by hedonist222; 06-05-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hedonist222
Do you mean the wheels are inside the tire?
Offset refers to the position of the wheel's mounting flange compared to the width of the wheel. Standard offset rc wheels have the mounting flange in the center. 1/2 offsets have the mounting flange 1/2 inch towards the back of the wheel making the truck wider. Full offset wheels have the mounting flange right at the back of the wheel.

Wider offset wheels put the weight of the tire further away from the steering knuckle's pivot point, decreasing the leverage the servo has to move the tire. Being further away from the knuckle's pivot point means the tire has to move a greater distance to achieve the same steering angle. There may be a few other reasons as well I don't know about as well.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:45 PM
hedonist222

I didn't quiet get it but thanks Maj.