Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Well i broke down and bought a savage!

Old 10-25-2003, 04:27 PM
69 GTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well i broke down and bought a savage!

Just thought i'd post a pic of the savage i just picked up on thursday. i just finished the elky body and puttin new shocks on it,it will get more mods next week but i still have to break it in tommorow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26032.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	70010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58887.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	70011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46669.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	70012  
Old 10-25-2003, 04:28 PM
nitromacguyver

Default RE: Well i broke down and bought a savage!

savage 21 or 25?
Old 10-25-2003, 04:35 PM
69 GTO

.21 i could have got the .25 but since the .25 is out i got a great price on this one,plus i like to do all the hop ups myself so the $ i saved can be put into hop ups for it.

MAXX
Old 10-25-2003, 06:17 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club! Come over to www.savage-central.com and check out all the tutorials on any hop up you could ever want.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:41 PM
69 GTO

Yeah REX just gave me that link last night and i went over and joined,man that site just blew me away........i cant believe all the how to,and just plain good info is on there!

MAXX
Old 10-25-2003, 07:50 PM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stuff, welcome to the team

I too bought the .21 Savage...and got a great deal, I think the the last versions of the .21 Savage were improved somwhat, I think I got HD dogbones because mine show virtually no wear after 1.5 gallons of hard running. The .21BB is also a good engine, really makes some power if you port it, or install an 8 port P&S

Have fun

TM
Old 10-25-2003, 08:06 PM
69 GTO

Thanks machine,yeah i was gonna pick the .21 up from a place in RC car action for $389 which seemed like a decent price then i called my LHS and they said they only had 1 .21 savage left and it was $350.....needless to say i told them to hold it and i'd pick it up after work..lol. I will be upgrading the .21 ethier with a different motor or have this one ported. I havent run it yet(will break it in tommorow) but would you say that the stock HPI .21 that came with it is worth sending out and putting $ into?

$$ isnt a real big deal but if i can not have to spend $300 on a new motor it would be nice!

MAXX
Old 10-25-2003, 08:40 PM
TheMachine

I persoanlly are quiet fond of the Force engines, the carbs and general quality of the engine is very high for its class(low budget sport engine), the .21BB used by HPI is a cross between a Force p4 and a Delta force p8... I just happen to own a Delta and I started mixing and matching(the delta was stripped down at the time I disassembled the .21BB to have a peak). For me the modification was practiacally free(already had servicable parts), so I did and I`m very happy with the result...I am however using the 8mm Delta carby and 8 port Delta P&S... I believe I`m getting around 2.5hp and close to 40K RPM out of my hybrid, porting really brought the throttle response to the party

I guess if you or I wanted to buy the Delta parts to use it would come out close to the price of a 8 port Hyper NIB or somthing like that, the Delta I believe is a better engine and the 2 put out simular power...which then of course could be tweaked further with porting.

In your position I go for the "whats there to lose" attitude, port the .21BB as it is, disassemble and drill the carby to 8mm and if all goes well you`ll get a MAJOR increase in performance... for nix`s. And then if your still not happy just buy that new mill you wanted .

I port all my engines...if not a full blow port just a little cleanup/de-burr, it does make a difference to any motor for the better(unless you slip with the dremel.. ), last I checked in Australia the Force 8 port parts were pretty resonable priced...where you are it may be a different story, if you want I can give you all the relavent part numbers

Hope this helps, and makes sense(that cocktail party last night was killer !! )
Cheers

TM
Old 10-25-2003, 08:41 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

nice job on the body man....welcome to the club
Old 10-25-2003, 08:43 PM
lynx the great
My Feedback: (1)

lOOk at my signature...... wicked is a good porting service
Old 10-26-2003, 05:09 PM
petrolpixie

i finally got my savage too!!!! the 1st gen .21 savage tho. i am just waiting for my picco .26 to arrive at the lhs then i am in for alot of fun!!!!!
just some questions for you guys...
will the hpi rims strip with all this new found power?
how do i stop this if it will happen?
if i buy new rims will they strip too?
what can i expect to break??
Old 10-26-2003, 05:19 PM
69 GTO

I just got back home from breakin in the savage! I have to say i really like the suspension on this truck it seems very nice and handles alot better than i expected,it could use some fimer foam or tires but that will be adressed later in the hop ups that go on it. After 4 tanks of rich i started leaning it down,i ended up getting it down to about 2 3/4-2 7/8 turns out but it started gettin pretty cold out so i called it a day. I think it still can be tuned for power a bit more as the motor was never even to hot to hold on to(partly due to the cold weather?) i will still have to adjust the low end neddle because it has "decent"power off the line but deff. could be better(didnt have much time to tune after breakin in today though)

Over all i am happy with the savage and think that HPI did a good job designing it!
About the only "problem" if you can even call it that is after the first tank the brakes seemed to go away,it may just need adjusting but if not then a brake upgrade is a cheap hop-up. The motor runs good and i was very happy with the great idle that this motor has....seems like it will idle all day long.

All in all i am very happy with it and look forward to hoppin up and runnin the #!@#$ out of it!

MAXXOVERKILL
Old 10-26-2003, 06:14 PM
badboy2

petrol even with the bb21 i stripped my wheels ....its the hex that has a problem ...so maybe u can upgrade for aluminum rims http://www.ramtech-rc.com/images/VIPER1.JPG
Old 10-26-2003, 06:20 PM
petrolpixie

so if i use different rims this problem will go away?
Old 10-26-2003, 09:50 PM
TheMachine

Just CA glue the hexes into the rims... and keep the nuts real tight and you won`t have a problem for the life of the tyre/rim ! And always remember to re-tighten the wheel nuts after a couple of tanks.

TM
Old 10-27-2003, 02:38 PM
badboy2

if u buy ramtech rims u wont strip the rim anymore but its possible that u will strip the hexes ..which to me is better to replace a 3bux part than buying another set of rims....i spent too much $$$ on rims/tires now i realize i could have just bought the aluminum ones ..i stripped ufos and stock ones now my velocity wheels are on the line ..