Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage guys...which motor...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:03 PM
fastfred
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage guys...which motor...?

Thinking about replacing the motor that came with my used Savage...

It currently has an OFNA Picco .26, and there are some issues with the motor:
Stripped head screw-holes (going to tap them out larger)
Pitted(?)/Discolored head (not sure how much discoloration is acceptable)

Now, without starting any flame wars. What have ya'll put in your Savage?

Would consider another Picco (or should I just replace the sleve/piston?). One of the guys at my LHS recommended the XTM 247, but I don't know anything about the XTM brand. What about an OS? Orion? What other options are out there?

ff
Old 11-04-2003, 10:19 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Savage guys...which motor...?

If you wanted to keep the overall power of the bigger engine I would get another .25 or .26 (or .27!).
If you want good top speed and a solid cheap engine go with the hyper 8-port .21...it's not so much power you will be flipping backwards every time but yet way more than stock and top speed keeps up with the .26's.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:24 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

i run the .247 pro

bubbafien
Old 11-04-2003, 10:26 PM
ShOzz

my bud runs the picco 26, and my god it takes everything to keep the front wheels down and that is running with an 18tooth clutch.
damn thing is as fast at any buggy at the local track, very impressive for the price
Old 11-04-2003, 11:57 PM
MGT

I have the picco .26. Modded it to fit in the frickin 18Tcb in an effort to keep the front wheels down and it did nothing to the torque(Also put an extended chassis). It's insaine!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 12:00 AM
fastfred
My Feedback: (4)

any thoughts regarding the sleeve/piston?

m
Old 11-05-2003, 12:29 AM
cemeb4dk

i just replaced my piston and sleeve for my picco .26 it cost like 85 bucks nitro house didnt need the connecting rod that was another 33 bucks. I had this engine in my savage and in my opinion ot was to powerful, too hard to keep the wheels on the ground, so it wasn't that fun to race. I have just put in and ofna force .25 in it and WOW it really moves I took this engine out of my buggy and and put the picco in my buggy.SO in my opinion, thge force 25 is a great engine for the savage. and you can get it for like 110 bucks on ebay. Note, it will not fit in stock engine mount, must buy GPM adjustable mount.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:51 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

my bro have the picco26 and i have the 8 port and a stock one..the picco26 can lift the ufo wheels while my 8 port can wheelie with my big joes ....picco26 igues is the best and maybe the problems when they 1st came out are solved now....or u can try the xtm pro247 whic they say is easy to tune and powerful too..the orion wasp26 is the same as the picco but just different name
Old 11-05-2003, 08:29 AM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

i use the Hyper 8 port, and i get a lot more top end and also bottom end than the stocker or course.... i can pull the wheels up if i want... but i have TONS of accelration, and great for pulling jumps and such!! if i can pull wheelies like i do now, and went up to the .26 i think it would get a little boring after a while of always being on the lid.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:47 PM
popa71

Hyper 8 port( $139) or Picco .26( $170) Best bangs for the buck. You would be happy with either
Old 11-05-2003, 10:20 PM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

you can get the Hyper 8 port for $100 Shipped NIB off ebay any time!!
Old 11-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Monster Flip

Picco I think is a very good powerful engine, like Badboy2 had said, I pull wheelies with my UFO's on. I guess it really depends on how you're gonna use your Savage. if you just bash in parking lots/backyards etc. i think it would be wiser to spend less $$$ on an engine (xtm, Hyper 8 port, mach 26) and spend the rest of your money on other parts...otherwise, go for either the picco, WASP .26, XTM PRO, WSII, Sirio etc.

i don't think the fading of the head color should matter or affect your engine temp...get a nova head for your picco...getting new piston/sleeve is also a pretty good idea if you're a basher.