Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How do you turn off a savage??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 04:39 PM
tegwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you turn off a savage??

I am new to the sport and will hopefully soon have a savage 25!!

I have figured out the prinicpals of how it starts and runs, but how on earth do you turn it off???

Also, what does a failsafe do?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:49 PM
**MilkMachine**

Default RE: How do you turn off a savage??

Well, you can turn off the motor bye pinching the fuel line which is right above the gas tank, are butting your hand over the exaust pipe were the exhaust comes out of . both of those will result of instant shut off.
As for your failsafe question. I have no idea! lol
Old 12-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Nitro7-inactive

the failsafe makes it go back to idle when the radio fails i think...
Old 12-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

RE: How do you turn off a savage??
Wear heavy clothes & act civilized.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: Nitro7

the failsafe makes it go back to idle when the radio fails i think...
A failsafe simply activates ANY servo in a manner YOU set whenever your car/plane/helicopter wanders outside of the radio's range. Most/all car people wire it into their throttle/brake servo so that the brake kicks in, which obviuously also cuts the throttle.

A GREAT thing to get!!!

Dean
Old 12-01-2003, 06:16 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

The proper way to shut off your truck is to plug the exhaust with a rag or something other than your finger.
Pinching the fuel line will work but it's not recommended to use that method very often simply because it's not healthy for your engine. Also there is more risk of burning your fingers that way.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:38 PM
jrtoons

Why would you want to shut it off??? Run it out of nitro! ;-)

My failsafe is set up for full brakes if the receiver losses the signal from the transmitter for any reason. It also detects low receiver battery voltage and will full brake it.

This unit is like the smallest you can get I think-

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEYG2&P=7
Old 12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

I have heard of problems woth the OFNA failsafe....your best bet is to go with the Venom racing failsafe.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:29 PM
RacingRob

I put my finger over the exhaust.
Shuts right down.
RR
Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 PM
ninjaspeed

how do you like the ofna unit jr? is it pretty reliable? i wanna get a nice fail safe when i get my nitro evader st. thanks for the help!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:56 PM
vtl1180ny

Putting your finger over the exhaust causes undueback pressure in the engine... You are intentionally flooding it to shut it off... Pinch the fuel line...
Old 12-01-2003, 09:39 PM
scooz13
My Feedback: (-1)

yes when you plug the exhaust you force a ton of gas into the engine.if you dont restart your engine soon, the gass will sit on the bottom of the crankcase and create some problems. the fastest and best way to shut of an engine is to tap the flywhel w your shoe or something to that effect. as to failsafes they are a must. if you tx batterys die you car will screetch to a hault instead of flying out of controll.venom and ofna make very good products.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:16 PM
G1GY

tegwin

Contrary to what most other people will tell you, the method that HPI recomends for you stop the engine is to cover the exhaust. Also they state that you should only pinch the fuel line in an emergency. So I would go with what the manufacturer recommends and that is to cover the muffler and flood the engine. (Obviously the lesser of two evils)
Old 12-02-2003, 01:21 PM
vtl1180ny

I'd go with coverng the carb with your thumb, thruthfully... You are starving it of both air and fuel... I've been guilty of all methods...
Old 12-02-2003, 01:26 PM
SH ByA

I have found that the best way for myself is to plug the exhaust. I know that Traxxas tells you to pinch the fuel line. But this will lean out the engine causing it to overrev it till it runs out of fuel. This seems to me to be a bad way to shut it off. I would rather flood it by blocking the exhaust, it works fine and will cause less possible damage to the engine.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:26 PM
G1GY

ORIGINAL: vtl1180ny

I'd go with coverng the carb with your thumb, thruthfully... You are starving it of both air and fuel... I've been guilty of all methods...
This is the method I've always used on airplanes. (Since I don't use an air filter on my planes.)
Old 12-03-2003, 07:39 AM
Isphius

i just touch a stick between the fly wheel and chassis somewhere. Cutting the fuel leans the engine out, and plugging the exhaust richens it to shut it off.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:45 PM
soulstealer

im a little more than i beginner but no matter wat engine no matter wat it belongs to u really never want to pinch the gas line
Old 12-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Kinson

check out the following site;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/A_Gu...1336054/tm.htm
Old 03-10-2005, 10:51 AM
MaRtInHAHAH

lol m8 u just have to press donw that air filter !!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:29 PM
ed260z

The best to worst ways to shut down an engine:

The best way to shut down an engine is to bump the flywheel, and until HPI came out with it's new safety stop it was impossible to due on a Savvy. Bumping the flywheel puts less stress on the engines internal parts.

The 2nd best way is to plug the exhaust stinger. This causes more back-pressure, and forces more fuel into the engine, creating a very rich engine. But all that extra fuel can put a bit more stress on piston, rod, and crank.

The 3rd way is to cover the carb opening. This also causes a rich condition. But can allow particles to enter the motor, damaging the internals.

The 4th, and worst way, is to pinch the fuel line. This starves the engine, causing a lean condition. A lean engine can damage almost all engine internals.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

My SH .28 recommends pinching the fuel line to clear the crankcase. Think of how you shut down a car - Cut the fuel and the spark. With a glow engine, the spark (i.e. the glowplug) is always on...so cut the fuel. It only takes 3 seconds to kill my SH .28 by pinching the line. When you cover the exhaust, you are not overloading the engine with back pressure. You are simply not allowing a fresh charge of air & fuel to come into the combustion chamber. Without the fresh mixture...you have no combustion. I used to cover the exhaust, now I pinch the line.

You will never damage an engine by running lean for 3 seconds during shutdown. NEVER! The oil is still coating the bearings and the cylinder walls. The temperature is not going to rise in 3 seconds.

Now if you tune your engine lean and do not get proper lubrication to all of the moving parts, the engine will get hot and eventually the piston or bearings will seize. It will not happen over 3 seconds. Seizure is when the piston or the bearings get so hot that they expand beyond their designed tolerance and can no longer move thus seizing or freezing.

As far as bumping the flywheel with something...is that a good idea? Think about putting stress on an item turning 3-5k RPM. Flip your bike over and pedal the crank. Try putting a stick in the spokes and see what happens. Then pedal again and use the brakes...see the difference? Obviously a jolt would put the most stress on the engine internals. If you put nice even pressure on the flywheel to slow it down, that would work, but don't just bump it.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Stablock

I can't believe how this thread goes on and on.

The best way to stop an engine is to pinch the line. Nitronut is right, you are not going to do any damage to your engine for the 3-5 seconds of running lean because you starve the carb of fuel. It does not !QUOT!over rev!QUOT! either as someone mentioned above. The danger of running lean is heat due to lack of lube. You must run it lean for a long time for the heat to build up and pass the !QUOT!red line!QUOT! and burn the the piston. It usually happens at full throttle, not at idle. Hell, there is no way you could burn a motor at idle by running it too lean. I don't care how lean you make it.

Also, it's better to put your nitro away with a a dry carb then one that is flooded with fuel because you stopped it by covering the exhaust.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
RcWebel

Ain't pinching the fuel line the same as running out of nitro in you fuel tank??
I always pinch the fuel line to shut it down and never have engine problem...
Covering the exhaust is a no no cause you're basically forcing burned fuel back into your engine and in time
will create a thick gunk in your engine....
Old 03-11-2005, 02:19 PM
svgrules1

i alway put my finger over the exuahst, i took my motor apart after running the hole summer and it was Quite cleen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.