Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How much can a Savage Take?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 05:40 PM
SJMILLER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much can a Savage Take?

Hello all,
I am a new to rc trucks. I have ordered a Savage. Please don't turn this thread into a discussion of the best truck for beginners, there are plenty of those already. My question is how hard can you push the savage and be reasonably sure of keeping it in good order. I won't be doing any organized racing right now. This will be for fun driving at several locations available to me that will include hill climbing, jumping, basically just sport driving. What i am most concerned about is the jumping aspect. What is reasonable for these trucks? 5 ft, 10 ft? I want to have fun, but I am in no hurry to tear the thing up. I realize that running it at all is to risk something breaking, this won't be a garage queen. I'm just looking for some guidelines for new drivers looking for durability. Thanks to all! Happy Holidays!

Stan
Old 12-18-2003, 07:32 PM
vfr_rider2000
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How much can a Savage Take?

Well I was doing jumps with my SavageSS on Sunday max air was about 15' and it never stopped so unless you hit a tree/curb or any other nonmovable object head on you should be ok
Old 12-18-2003, 07:39 PM
fourwheeler

The Savage is the most durable MT out there. You will be surprised how much it can take. I am still amazed everytime I go out. I come home and say to myself, that was incredible!
Old 12-18-2003, 08:47 PM
ThermalRD

I bash at construction sites constantly. My friends and i race to the top of any GIANT pile of dirt, just to see who can make it to the top. Its usually me, and i usually drive the savage right over the edge. I have only broken 1 upright on this truck, and that was one of the earlier version, that was recalled. Other than that, all my plastic looks soo worn out, simply because it never gets replaced. I dont break anything, so i dont replace plastic often. This truck is almost un-breakable.

Matt
Old 12-18-2003, 11:35 PM
ac112785

yea i can say the savage is most durable. u have no idea how many times owners with maxxes come in to fix them. savage looks the best too. good choice
Old 12-19-2003, 12:43 AM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can do [link=http://members.iinet.net.au/~zrinski/savNbuggy.mpeg]THIS[/link] all day long........and providing you don`t screw up and land up-side-down (like I have on occasion !! distracted [&o][:-][X(]!) you`ll go home with a fully functional truck ever time . I`d say up to around 15-20 foot of air is safe !!!!!!

TM
Old 12-19-2003, 12:45 AM
Dash

Well mine was run over by a real truck! The Savage can take alot of abuse. The few things that did break only cost about 20 bucks to fix. Have fun bashing bro!!
Old 12-19-2003, 01:13 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

nice vid themachine i wish i have a place like that here
Old 12-19-2003, 01:29 AM
Rex2342

The only durability issue i've had with my Savage was an original upright which HPI replaced for free and the shock shafts(12 and counting).I have yet to brake a plastic suspenion part and my Savage see's alot of airtime.10-15 feet of air is relatively safe if you land right and if you don't the parts are cheap to replace.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:00 PM
neubiracer

the first day i had mine the wheel box broke and so did the *****ty hex
Old 12-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Savage_Dias

I'm 6' tall & I've had my Savage over my head on many occasions. 20' + long jumps aren't uncommon. Enjoy your Savage but learn how it reacts in the air on small (3-4 feet in the air) jumps before you go crazy with it. If you put larger tires on it know that they will drastically change how much you can change it's attitude in the air. Also don't turn the front wheels in the air unless you're prepared to run over & flip it back on it's wheels when it lands. I've tried that while holding about 1/3 throttle & it looked like someone hit it with a broomstick mid air.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:21 PM
MitchT/Emaxx1989

i agree with almost all of the above the savage is very very durable i had one and i could do all sorts of things with it its a very good truck. if you get it or already have it you will have loads of fun driving it. and as the same with almost every truck if u land it on all four wheels it will drive away safely that is untill you dont land on all four wheels
Old 12-21-2003, 09:30 PM
SJMILLER

Thanks everyone for all the great responses. I am looking forward to getting the truck next week. Really enjoyed the video, can't wait to get started.
Merry Christmas!
Stan
Old 12-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Jeff Hendricks
My Feedback: (3)

How do you make sure it lands on it's wheels ? How do you control it in the air ? Throt and Break does what ?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:34 AM
KyleB15
My Feedback: (2)

I just got my ss(not done yet) but as far as I know hitting the brake makes the nose go down. Gas make the nose go up.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:57 AM
SavageRCRacer
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: KyleB15

I just got my ss(not done yet) but as far as I know hitting the brake makes the nose go down. Gas make the nose go up.
Kyle you are right.....Throttle brings the nose up and brakes brings the nose down.....But dont be too hard on the break..lol If you do it will try to front flip....just tap them. You will have to get use to how it reacts on the brake and throttle.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:55 AM
SJMILLER

Is the shock set up out of the box ok to begin with? What do the different adjustments do? This is not covered in the instructions book, and I am a complete novice. Truck looks awesome! I began heat cycling the motor yesterday, hope to finish breaking in today.
Thanks
Stan
Old 12-24-2003, 11:08 AM
otterball21

Hey... There is ONE thing you want to replace on the truck if you didn't... the Hex hubs on the wheels, if you have the .21 savage. Cause your wheels are stripped out, ... my recommendation.. start out with small jumps and get bigger and bigger...
Old 12-24-2003, 06:08 PM
speeddemon-RCU

how much can a savage take? how much can you dish out? seriously though start off with small jumps until you get the hang off it