Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

what do these upgrades do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Sandman2869

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do these upgrades do?

Hi all,

I just got my Savage last Friday and have really been having a great time with it. I am looking to do some hop ups to it this weekend and have been reading the forums here. While reading the forums, I keep seeing people mention that they have upgraded their clutch shoes, flywheel and purchased a steel/titanium spur gear.
What do these upgrades do? I'm sorry for sounding so ignorant but I really have no idea what the clutch shoes do or why I should upgrade the flywheel and spur gear.
Also, what is a TVP?

Thanks for any information you might be able to share.

PS: Is there a place I can go to read about all of these terms like tvp, cvd, etc?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:17 AM
8000ft

Default RE: what do these upgrades do?

get a bigger air filter first. the clutch shoes engage the drive line. the three shoe set up will help with a more positive engagement, and works well from what i have heard. i run a fironi turbo slider so i can't speak from experience on the 3 shoe. if you do go with the 3 shoe you will need to get the 3 shoe fly wheel, the 3 shoes, and the 3 springs.
i think you're on the right track with "first mods"
air filter
tuned pipe
3 shoe clutch
by doing just these 3 things you will see a big difference in your trucks preformance.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:41 AM
YanLST
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sandman2869

Hi all,

I just got my Savage last Friday and have really been having a great time with it. I am looking to do some hop ups to it this weekend and have been reading the forums here. While reading the forums, I keep seeing people mention that they have upgraded their clutch shoes, flywheel and purchased a steel/titanium spur gear.
What do these upgrades do? I'm sorry for sounding so ignorant but I really have no idea what the clutch shoes do or why I should upgrade the flywheel and spur gear.
Also, what is a TVP?

PS: Is there a place I can go to read about all of these terms like tvp, cvd, etc?

I would go for a bigger servo, very high torque, about 150 oz. of torque is good, but the bigger the better!!!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFVH3&P=K

That is what I might get if I get a savage...
As to your other question, I'm too much of a newbie!!!
Have fun!!!
Yan
Old 02-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Sandman2869

8000ft,

Thanks for the great reply. Where can I find more information about the fironi clutch? Also, what type of Air filter would you recommend (and why)?
I hope this isn't being too pushy, I really do appreciate all of the replies.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:29 PM
DaSHiKi

dont bother with the steel/titanium spur gear take the 50-60 bux the titanium cost and buy 10 or 15 plastic ones you need to have some place in your car to break and its easier to replace spur gears than tranny gears.

Air Filter
Tuned Pipe

TVP = Twin Vertical Plate its the chassis setup of the savage those two silver plates on each side
Old 02-04-2004, 03:46 PM
8000ft

hpi makes a "preformance" filter for the sav. and why you ask? your engine basicly sucks air in through the filter and mixes it with fuel. the less restrictive the air flow the more power thr engine is able to produce. the difference is like trying to suck air through a soda straw vs. a garden hose.
as far as the clutch....go to www.generalsilicones.com then choose fioroni option team, then clutch systems, then turbo sliding clutch.
this is a very high preformance clutch the bad news is that it is about 1/8 to 3/16 longer than stock so a bit a grinding is required on the engine mounting plate( not the engine mounts but the plate) i don't know if there is an adjustable mount that would allow the engine to be moved back but it would be worth looking into
hope this helps i'll be signing off for the day now but i'll be back at 7am mnt. time tommarow.
see ya then
Old 02-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Sandman2869

Thanks for the link as well as the information about the air filter. I am going to look into them tomorrow, I want to get all of my hop up parts in one shot (or at least a majority of them as i only have about $600.00 to play with).

I would also like to get the truckzilla conversion but not sure if it's worth the money.
One last question: If I don't get the truckzilla but want to get another engine, which one should I go with? I have heard people talking about the outlaw as well as a WASP. what are the differences between these engines and are these two two of the only upgrade engines I can fit on the truck (with little to no modification)?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Sandman2869

Dashiki,
Thanks for your reply as well. Do the spur gears strip on a regular basis?
and thanks for the TVP definition much appreciated!
Old 02-04-2004, 04:23 PM
DaSHiKi

they dont tear up after one run but over time it will wear out like anything gear mesh is the trick get it right and it will last.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:38 PM
lowseylos

the wasp and the picco are the same engine just a different cooling head i would say get the wasp it looks cooler... and also tvp plates are twin vertical plates t.v.p ....if you get the .26 be careful it's a handful also DONT WEIGH IT DOWN WITH METAL PARTS..stick with plastic
Old 02-05-2004, 09:24 AM
8000ft

the wasp has been a great engine for me. even living at 8000ft elevation it still has plenty of power. when i do get down to denver (5600ft) it really screams,i'd love to see what it would do at sea level.
there are a few things that you MUST do if you put in a wasp or a picco.
4 gear diff mod
heavy duty out drives (the drive shafts from the diffs to the wheels)
heavy duty center drive shafts
for the center drives i would suggest the c/v style to reduce the slop that dog bones have
also c/v style in the front out put shafts to help with the steering
i agree with lowseylos, stay with plastic. it's lighter and cheaper to replace when it does break.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 AM
YanLST
Banned

What about a new servo, if ur puttin' a bigger engine in with a already to weak servo, it could be a problem, I'm gonna enjoy my Savage for a while if I get it... Have fun!
Yan
Old 02-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Sandman2869

ok,

The 4 gear diff mod is a definate for me.
and I will do the out drives as well as the center drives. When you say c/v style, what do you mean?

I was thinking about getting the 645MG Hitech servo for steering, is this a good one or is there another one I should be looking at? I also would like to do the servo saver mod.

What do you guys think about the reverse module? is it good? Does it cause any problems (like slowing the truck down)? How does it affect the brakes?

I put on the dual disk brakes from HPI lastnight, but it didn't seem to help as far as stopping goes, so I have to figure out the adjustments on those.....

I also want to do the dual tank mod so I won't have a problem with the lean out problem I have been reading about (though I must say I haven't really noticed it yet).

My temps are around 210-220F right after a full tank, is this normal? Should I lean it out some more?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:52 AM
matster

ORIGINAL: Sandman2869

Hi all,

Also, what is a TVP?

TVP = Twin Vertical Plates

CVD = Constant Velocity Driveshaft (basicaly replaces the dogbone style driveshafts and axle cup linkage(or the centre dogbones) with a one piece shaft which is pinned) (hope you can understand that!)

The stock spur gear will last for a good few bash setions, when it does go however, Replace with a Delrin spur (Delrin is a harder more resistant plastic, but will still give before the trany gears)

As for the flywheel/clutch, if you have a Savage 25 it will already have a 3 shoe clutch (stock one is ok, but if you do change it, I would suggest getting a aluminium clutch with a lightweight flywheel)

Air filter = I'd get the Hpi one or the 'Motor saver' air filter

Hope this helps
Old 02-05-2004, 10:13 AM
8000ft

c/vs are constant velocity drives like in front wheel drive cars.
the 645mg is a good one. i had that one but changed it for the 5945mg but i'm regretting it because it's digital and eats batteries big time. not only that but the 645 is about 35$ where the 5945 is about 105$.
the reverse is a convience and no it won't affect the speed or breaking, it's nice to have if you run in tight spaces.
if you do get the 645, take the stock steering servo and put it on the throtle/break and use the stock th/br servo for the reverse actuater. this will help your breaking power, i actually put my 645 on my th/br and talk about breaking power!!!
the dual tank mod is a very good idea for two reasons,
one, extended run times with no leaning issues,
and two, if you get an air craft style tank it's pick up is a "clunk" style which basiclly means that the pick up inside the tank is a piece of fuel tubing with a weighted end. so when the truck goes "belly up" you don't have to run over to flip it back before it starves for fuel. with the "clunk" type it will run upside down untill both tanks are dry. very nice!!
temp wise 210-220 is just a bit low. 230-250 is about right for most engines
.........but always remember better to be to rich than to lean...........
Old 02-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Sandman2869

ok, I will talk to my lhs and get the c/v style out and center drives.

About braking, man mine really sucks (hence why I put the dual brakes on lastnight). Would a 645mg fit for the throttle/brake servo too? I don't know if all servos are generally the size or not, but am hoping.

I think I am going to get the hayes tank from heliproz.com as my lhs doesn't carry anything like that.
I took it out lastnight for about two tanks and am getting a bit more brave as far as jumping goes, this thing is tough!

BTW: Thanks for all your great advice guys, it is very appreciated!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:33 AM
matster

The stock brakes on my friends 25rtr make it flip over forward under braking! All he has adjusted is that bit of fuel line on the linkage (put a slightly longer peice on) and tightened the screws on the brake pads untill the disk doesn't move and then gradually loosen it untill it spins freely. Mine was soooooo loose I had no brakes atall out of the box (so I done the dual brake convertion and now I am learning to be gentle!!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:47 AM
8000ft

yes all the servos on the truck are the same size. the 645 really isn't nessissary on the th/br, i just did it because i had one. the stock steering servo will be enough on the th/br.
there are two things that i can think of to check on your breaks.
when you put the new dual discs on how tight did you tighten the two screws? they should be just snug enough to let the discs rotate freely through the callipers.
also adjust the break rod (the vertical one) that is held in with the 1.5mm set screw, so that the rod is extended fully. the longer the rod the more leverage is applied to the breaks.
just a side note:i have read a few posts that say move it down for better breaks but i think that is wrong , yes quicker breaks but not stronger. just my opinion.....
at the end of the break rod between the servo arm and the finger/thumb adjustment screw you should be using a piece of fuel tubing , not a spring. i don't know what you're using now.
oh i just thought of another thing. does your radio have "end point adjustments" on it, if so this to will affect how far the servo arm is turning. in other words is the servo actually trying to apply full breaks or not.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Sandman2869

Thanks for the advice, my screws are pretty loose according to you two I guess, I will have to tighten them up tonight. I am currently using the stock tubing that came with the truck (most everything is stock right now except for the brakes haha)..

My vertical is adjusted so that the bottom of the rod is sticking out of the brake arm, so I will move it up also, and will also tighten the plastic screw at the end of the rod a bit, I was just afraid of them dragging and wearing out prematurely.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:33 AM
8000ft

the nice thing with the way the the linkage is set up is that when you apply the throtle the brakes are reliesed of any pressure, so they won't drag when you are running. turn the radio and the truck on and spin the wheels and tighten the two screws till it drags, then back it off just a touch. the radio must be on when you do this so that the th/br servo is at it's neutral position.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Sandman2869

Awesome!

What about the shocks? Are the stock shocks good or should i upgrade those? and if so, what should I look for when upgrading?
I apologize for asking so many questions, I am very excited about this and want everything to be perfect!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:48 AM
8000ft

keep dreaming, in this hobby there is NEVER perfect or "ok, now it's done"
the stock shocks are great aside from looking ugly. i ran 22.5w with a medium spacer in front and 27.5w with a large spacer in back. also the stock shock shafts are tough, that combined with the flexibility of the plastic makes them very resistant to bending or breaking. save the shock up grade for a while. but when you do get new ones try the intergy piggy backs. i don't have them but i've heard good things. or do like me and wait a couple of months and something "new and improved" will be out.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Sandman2869

LOL! Thanks, I am going up to the hobby shop tonight to pick up all the parts, I hope to be able to drive it by the weekend (takes me a long time to do tear down/rebuild for some reason).

Thanks again for all of your input and advice =)
Old 02-05-2004, 04:31 PM
DaSHiKi

sounds like you have a lot of cash to spend on your truck! want to buy me a set of cvd's also?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:39 PM
YanLST
Banned

lol
ORIGINAL: DaSHiKi

sounds like you have a lot of cash to spend on your truck! want to buy me a set of cvd's also?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.