Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

is Savage SS easy to assemble?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 06:31 PM
jleex025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is Savage SS easy to assemble?

I'm thinking about buying a Savage SS I just wanted to find out if it's easy to assemble. I have never assmebled an RC car before and as matter of fact...this is my first RC product...
Old 03-22-2004, 07:12 PM
OBROCTO
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: is Savage SS easy to assemble?

I'll let you know in a day or two. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow via the big brown truck so construction is set to start then. It takes about 8 hours to build from what I've been told. If this is your first R/C vehicle you'd be MUCH better off to get the Savage 25 ready to run package.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:21 PM
vizaracer

ive heard alot of people that have already had a savage can build the SS in like 3 or 4 hours.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:48 PM
OBROCTO
My Feedback: (28)

That could be true.... I've never seen a Savage SS new in the box to know exactly what needs built. Tranny, diffs, shocks........ I'll know tomorrow[>:]
Old 03-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Rekker

Mine arrived today but I didn't get home from work in time so it
has to stay locked up in the leasing office at my apartment until tomorrow. [&o]

The anticipation is killing me! []
Old 03-22-2004, 08:56 PM
muad dib

I built an SS several months ago. It was my first RC since I was 11 years old. It took me like 18 hrs. but that could have been avoided. I stayed up real late and got real tired and loopy and did things wrong and had to go back and fix. I only had the tools in the kit which wasn't very helpful in speeding up the process. The instructions are really good. The parts are in bags with numbers corresponding to the build process. Just make sure you stay organized, that is crucial. I have since built a hybrid truggy from scratch, it's in my gallery. Good luck, its pretty fun if you take your time and have the right tools, a lesson learned.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:01 PM
razoracing

All i can add is to Read the manual & then Read it again , get familiar with the parts & sequence of the build up , it really doesn't matter how long it takes you as long as you build it correctly, if you get stuck , get a hold of hpi or post it hear , it seems anyone will jump in & help, when your finished you will be rewarded with an awesome truck & if anything happens you will be able to tear it down & fix it.
good luck & most of all enjoy it man ! it's a blast.
Razor
Old 03-23-2004, 04:52 AM
matster

Build it.

It'll be worth it, the instructions are IMO some of the best. Very easy to follow, but as was mentioned before, stay organised!

You WILL be tearing it all down again at some point, and this is the best way to learn.

I reckon, if you are that way inclined, you should be able to build it from scratch in around 6-9 hours. The only downfall for me would be the fact that you don't get radio gear, but, this can be picked up fairly cheaply.

Go for it, if you are new to the hobby, dont make the mistake of buying an RTR. You will pick up a lot more insider knowledge if you build.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:22 PM
cabbage25

if you're contemplating on getting your first truck and if have a phillips screwdriver, get the SS and assemble it yourself.
i agree with matster that it'll be easier to fix any problems if you've had built the truck up from scratch.
it took me two evenings (slowest part is assembling and filling the shocks) but it was worth it.
in my books, building it is half the fun.

another advantage of getting the SS is it comes with a number of hop-ups over the 25 RTR.
basically you get the heavy duty dogbones, adjustable upper arms and a tuned pipe (a little noisy for my liking, though).
i like the fact that they kept the 21's fuel tank on the SS because the RTR's tank doesn't come with a primer.
and with a pull start, you can save on stripping the roto-starts' gears if your engine floods, not to mention
the rotostarter that you've to bring along every time.

i still haven't figured out why the SS come with a 2-shoe clutch while the RTR come with 3 though...
Old 03-23-2004, 02:30 PM
locoworks

it builds easy. the instructions show how to assemble the 3 diffs but they are already done for you. if intend basic use and you want to save yourself some build time use the one piece non adjustable top arms. make sure you only fill the shock with oil when it is in the compressed possition ( half fill it and work it up and down to get the air bubbles out before topping them up ). a good upgrade to do out the box is the brakes. the HPI twin disc uprade makes endo's a sinch. if you retro fit it, it takes a bit of a strip down to get the bits in. and a rotostart for me was a must have. my pullstart cord spool split in 2, and it was a ***** to start anyhow's. rotostart rules, just don't flood the puppy. i have 2 x 25SS's and a lone 21. all have the twin disc brakes, purple springs, big air filters, and ribbed metal pipes.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
wolfcire

I have also built the SS, but over a week of nights. Just due to waiting for otherparts to arrive for upgrades. I agree with Cabbage, the slowest part are the shocks. I think it is well worth it, it teaches you a lot of how it works and that way it will be better for troubleshooting later.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:56 PM
matster

ORIGINAL: cabbage25

i like the fact that they kept the 21's fuel tank on the SS because the RTR's tank doesn't come with a primer.
and with a pull start, you can save on stripping the roto-starts' gears if your engine floods, not to mention
the rotostarter that you've to bring along every time.

i still haven't figured out why the SS come with a 2-shoe clutch while the RTR come with 3 though...
The SS is basically a Savage21 in kit form (tank, clutch) but with the hop-ups and a .25. The 25 RTR's tank doesn't self lean nearly as much as the 21's tank, it's easy enough to prime, without a pump.

I'm not having a go at the SS, but this seems right to me. It was released before the RTR.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:18 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: wolfcire

I have also built the SS, but over a week of nights. Just due to waiting for otherparts to arrive for upgrades. I agree with Cabbage, the slowest part are the shocks. I think it is well worth it, it teaches you a lot of how it works and that way it will be better for troubleshooting later.
o please dont remind me about the shocks!!! the car took about 4 hours, but it would have taken 3 if the shocks came pre-assembled!!