Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

TOP ENGINE & SERVO'S

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 08:59 AM
boz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOP ENGINE & SERVO'S

Hi all. I am about to buy a Savage SS and would like to know what you experienced guys say is the ultimate engine for this truck and also best servo for throttle/brake and steering? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:04 AM
tegwin

Default RE: TOP ENGINE & SERVO'S

Get the hitec MG645 steering servo its cheap and strong

Get an ofna picco26 or siro27

not sure about throttle/brake
Old 04-25-2004, 10:21 AM
vizaracer

well, a sirio .27XL Racer version has more power than a picco .26 but the picco is half the cost. i would get the Hitec 645mg for a steering servo.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:14 PM
crazypyro013

the best is dependent on how much money you don't own, and what your truck is setup to do (i.e. race/bash)

EDIT: weight is also a factor
Old 04-25-2004, 05:25 PM
tegwin

Mine is for bashing and i have the hitec 645MG servo and a picco.26 and i find that fast enough with the stock savage 25 gears

Just my 2c
Old 04-25-2004, 07:38 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XTM 24/7 pro........hands down best bang for buck...and the airtronics high tourque servo.....XTM tunes easier, runs cooler and faster then a pico 26 and is a breeze to break in
Old 04-25-2004, 07:41 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

dude the picco and wasp SCREAM and i love them both. but that is just my opinion. i am also running a hitec hs-645 for steering and a hitec hs-545 for throttle/brake. i am very impressed with the hs-545.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:29 PM
boz
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for your advice guys. If anyone else wants to add to this thread please do. I will be running the truck in a large field so will want a lot of top end as well as good punch off the line. I suppose what I'm saying is that I want an engine that will give me plenty of top end speed without having to sacrifice bottom end. Is there such an engine? Will the Sirio give me this?
Old 04-25-2004, 08:41 PM
vizaracer

yes it will give you this and more. i have mine geared for more top speed and it still will wheelie.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:25 PM
crazypyro013

Sirio .27
RB .28
Picco .26 P3 (3.1hp version)

excellent for your high speed needs, with plenty of RPMs, and torque
naturally the picco is the cheaper, with the RB the most exspensive and not out yet
Old 04-25-2004, 09:32 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

dude the picco p3 (werks) isnt made for high speeds. it is made for low end torque and power. it only hits 33,000 rpms where as the piccos/wasps/and sirios hit in the upper 30,000's. the regualr picco is better for top end speed than the p3 werks picco.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:32 PM
supertib

hmm run the 24/7 pro in a race and you will see the pro will have more top end and equal bottom....the 24/7 pro is one of the if not the fastest mt big block you will find....ask anybody who has lined up breside one as my buddy with a pico 26 said today the XTM seems to have alot more top then his pico and the 24/7 pro will wheelie a 16/48 combo easily at 1/4 throttle...actually its almost undriveable with a 16/48 as it flips over on its lid all the time....but its top end is what will separate it from the wasp and Pico as well as its easy tuning characteristics...the Pico is fast but the Pro will have its number on top...but really it doesn't matter since i find my Pro to be almost too fast for the truck and constantly blowing my 2 speed apart gets tiresome..the 24/7 pro seems to destroy the tranny in short time..so if you get one be prepared for a alloy 2 speed unit(gpm) and better diffs as even the 4 bevel gear conversions breaks apart....but dont discount the 24/7 series engines as i have been lining mine and my few other buddies with 24/7's against everything and so far the 24/7 pro beats everything for all out power......but bad bad fuel consumption and constant grenading of the drivetrain as well as constant destroyed bodies from dragging on the ground during the inevitable stand on end wheelie which seems like everytime you squeeze the throttle....as well as it eats clutches as i found the composite mugen 3 shoe wouldn't hold...i do run 30% sidewinder and it is sick fast my other truck that i will race will not likely use this engine since it is too hard too keep straight and composed ...but for open all out field blasts the 24/7 pro will amaze you as well as the 4 minute or so run time between refueling
Old 04-25-2004, 11:27 PM
lowseylos

rb .28 all the way baby
Old 04-25-2004, 11:38 PM
vizaracer

i run my sirio and it has about a 15 minute run time and i have the 16T/48T gear combo with 7 inch tires and it runs at 210 degrees and it will do a wheelie like nothing. i race my friends buggy and have raced it and the savage will eat it alive from accel and then again i beat it in top end. the sirio .27XL racer version comes with a whooping 3.1 hp and 39,000 rpm and then you put a tuned pipe and a motor saver and turbo plug and add even more yet. i have all of that on mine and it kicks butt against any truck i race at the track. i have raced modded t-maxxes, savages with hyper .21 8 ports, MGT's, and some buggys and i beat them all. the sirio will eat up the spur gear from the tremendous torque so you may want to upgrade to the robinson racing spur gear/ clutch bell. if you go with the smaller gearing you will have awesome speed but you just wont be able to keep the front wheels on the ground. i have a hard enough time keeping my wheels on the ground with this gearing i have now. the drivetrain will need to have a 4 spyder gear moddification or you are likely to blow your diffs. also HD drive cups and dog bones are a must because i bent all my standard dogbones when i first used that engine. i do not eat clutches because i run a 4-shoe aluminum clutch which will grip the clutch bell good and will give it even better wheelies from less throttle. i would also say to to get some upgraded brakes becasue they are needed to stop the truck quickly from the added speed from the standard ones. i would say the truck hits atleast 50-55 because it blows by my onroad which will hit 50 mph. you will not be disapointed in this engine. the only drawback is the high prices.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:55 AM
supertib

yes but on a dyno running a turbo plug and 30% and a tuned pipe the sirio made 2.8 hp the wasp pulled 2.6 under the exact testing.......a 24/7 has top end on a wasp so dont think you have it beat...but even if the Sirio slightly beats it its 3x the price...but as i say at this point of power it doesn't matter as the trucks are out of control.....at top speed my truck is like a cannonball.....steers like one anyways........i run a mugen 3 shoe with ofna aluminum shoes right now...tried a slide clutch but i broke it( i think when i grenaded my two speed last) i have had to buy 3 tranny cases so far because my two speed flies apart and the gear takes out the case...last time my truck spit the brake shaft out of the tranny... maybe the sirio has a smoother power delivery then the XTM and as for fuel the Sirio is a race engine and fuel consumption is a factor in the engineering...i think the XTM was designed with no concern for fuel consumption...but dam is it fast from a dead stop will wheelie a 18/48 on command with stock tires running stock shocks w. 20 wt and 8red(soft springs) and small spacers...as soft as you can get basically and it still pulls wheelies effortlessly, on takeoff with a 16/48 its hard to take off without wheels up, its harder to launch and keep the wheels down actually...but so will a Sirio and a Pico....today i did a cool one where i popped the truck on its back wheels and it almost rolled over but i let go of the trigger and my truck actually balanced on the bumper and body and well the damn thing just sat there on its tail idling away till the wind blew it over on its lid...it was funny...made my day for the laugh....i am hoping to buy the new Fantom to see what its like i always like to try a low priced high output engine to see what it does, i am considering this for sav#2 hopefully it isn't as strong as the XTM on bottom and delivers a smooth curve up to a blistering top end as i want to race this savage and want a road race powerplant not a drag race powerplant...i think it would be more applicable....meaning a motor that would pull away smoothly and not go haywire every time you touch the throttle
Old 04-26-2004, 06:30 AM
matster

The 'Fantom 27' looks like a proper screamer. 42,000 RPM!!!!!!! That baby has got to shift!!!

Hitec 645 for the steering (great servo for the money) as for the throttle, something similar to the 645. You want a fair bit of torque, but too much (around 100oz would be good) would just get waisted.