Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage 25 SS Reverse--Speed loss question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:07 PM
wyattdogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 25 SS Reverse--Speed loss question

I have a Savage 25 ss and I just recently bought the reverse module for it. I have searched the forum and have read many replies by many informed people that say you may loose a little bit of speed if you use the reverse module. Here is my question. Where do you lose the speed? Is it more likely to lose acceleration, top end, or both? Any help would be appreciated. I do not have my truck for racing purposes, only tooling around the neighborhood. However, like most people, I am interested in the amount of speed i can get out of any one machine.

THanks!!
Old 05-09-2004, 12:24 AM
wyattdogg

Default RE: Savage 25 SS Reverse--Speed loss question

does anyone by chance have these answers??
Old 05-09-2004, 02:15 AM
GoonieAsian

the reason why is because right now without the reverse the car rolls back and forth very smoothly. well that is what i got from tuning the savages at my shop. but when i stuck the reverse in my new SS kit. the car doesnt move as freely as the others did. it feels like you just jam packed a lot of grease into the transmission. and plus now you have a couple of oz of weight on the truck as well.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:15 AM
rdmonster

The reverse increases the rotating mass in the tranny.More gears to turn takes more energy.Im not sure where the speed loss takes place.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:47 AM
wyattdogg

ok so it sounds like the loss of power is due to weight added and the simple amount of gears that the power has to go thru to get to the wheels when you have the reverse module installed. Is there anything you can do short of removing the reverse module to regain the loss other than switching engines?

Thanks for the responses!!!
Old 05-09-2004, 10:02 AM
banunfairnizm

i had put reverse into my Savage for 2 tanks of fuel then took that piece of crap out. it restricted the transmission and i flipped off a jump and the pin that goes to the transmission housing slipped out and the shifting rod moved to where the truck was like in neutral. when i flipped my Savage back over to go, not knowing it was in neutral, i almost blew the engine. went straingt to my room and took that thing out. if anyone wants a reverse with a servo i'll sell you mine for $25. still new only 2 tanks run with it in.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Terminal_Junkie

Run reverse in an SS but can't comment on speed lose as it was fitted during the build. Will say that for bashing any (possible) loss of speed is more the outweighed by the conveniance of having reverse and besides how fast do you want to go? Straight line speed is one thing but an MT doesn't corner like its on rails so you have to slow down anyway?!? My opion, for bashing its worth it but for racing its not.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:49 AM
slago

Ditto. I have reverse. I installed it before I even ran the truck. I have not clocked mine but jeeze!, the darn thing is fast! In my quest for more toys/hopups on my savage, higher top speed is NOT on the list. Where would I run it or use it anyway? I can run my Savage on WOT from each stretch of my visual comfort zone in about 5-6 seconds. The whole while I am trying to maintain a straight line which is not so easy with biggazz tires at 40 or so mph. Why do I need more top end speed?

While I am on the subject, I have been jonesing for a hotter engine and I am not sure why. I mean, I would like to pull a wheelie on demand but I also would like to NOT pull a wheelie on demand. If I put in a Fantom .27, RB .28, etc, etc, then is the truck going to become as undriveable as the Moldy Marvin's twin Wasp savage? If you have seen his then you will know that it looks very cool. But if you saw the videos, the truck looks like it is no fun to drive. Any comments on the subject?
Old 05-17-2004, 04:21 AM
matster

Personally I have had zero problems with my reverse, it is more than helpfull when I'm bashing.
Top end and acceleration loss is IMO neglegable. If you want to race you can't use reverse anyway, so I say, install it and have fun.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:29 AM
tzque

My first statement is this . These are MT I dont understand why everyone wants to go 100 miles an hour with these trucks . there are other nitro vehicles that will take you a fast as you can go . I use my truck as it is engineered to be used to bash.
That being said . I do think that the truck is compromised by reverse. You are putting more strain on the drive train and weight in the truck. I would never take my reverse out but when I get my next truck I will not put one in . When bashing reverse has saved me alot but I have also relized that anyone in this forum over 25 can use the excersise. So for all the readers pondering reverse take a look at yourself . If your belly hands over your pants put the cigerette down and run and get your truck . Use the 50 if you do it your self or the 100 if the LHS does it to but a better ungrade . No reverse will maintain the intergrity of your drive train and help your heart .
Old 05-17-2004, 08:36 AM
matster

I don't think the sight of me running to save my baby is what anyone wants to see (I am almost 30 and around 250lbs).

Reverse is my friend!!!!