Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Differentail issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Roadhog2K4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differentail issues

yeah... i have a savage SS and it keeps ripping all the teeth off inside the differential. i am thinking about doing that spyder diff. mod. but i dont think it will really work. Also i barely even drive me savage hard, just mainly on loose gravel, and some short grass, and i have it running rich. also i cant seem to find anyparts for the sypder mod that are in stock, ive checked every place i know of...
Old 05-12-2004, 07:15 PM
UNCDROCK57

Default RE: Differentail issues

yeah me either, I've looked and I can't find them either. I haven't stripped any gears, but I did strip the inside of the diff housing. It looked like the gears ate up the plastice on the inside. I have no idea how this happen, but I too would like to know where you could get the spyder mod upgrade.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:27 PM
ThermalRD

Let me give you a bit of advice. Take your diffs out, check the four screws that are holding the large gear to the diff cup. They are most likely a PLASTIC thread screw. Take them out, and throw them away. Go get some MACHINE thread screws and put them in there. I have been doing this for a looong time, and have NEVER had a diff problem after doing that. I've never once done the 4 spider diff mod in this savage, its an original .21 savage, its seen the stock motor, and 8 port hyper, a picco .26, an OS RG .21, a wasp .26, and now a Fantom .27. Still NO diff problems. Those diffs start to break when those gears mis-align from those screws backing out. Use machine thread.

Matt
Old 05-12-2004, 07:45 PM
UNCDROCK57

even though you get the machine threaded screws, do you just screw them into the plastic diff housing without doing any thing. I mean, do you thread lock them or anything?
Old 05-12-2004, 09:19 PM
oldboy_newtoy

No threadlock. (It doesn't work on plastic.). You could put a dab of super glue on the screw, but I wouldn't do that either.

The threads on a machine screw are roughly twice what they are on the plastic screws. That means two as much bite.

I would seriously recommend the stainless screw upgrade for the truck. Best $22 bucks you'll ever spend. And a LOT less lost screws (and broken parts).
Old 05-13-2004, 04:04 AM
matster

I know they are out of stock at the moment, but, they will be in V soon.

http://store.savagess.com/product_in...roducts_id=123
Old 05-13-2004, 09:41 AM
slago

ORIGINAL: Roadhog2K4
i cant seem to find anyparts for the sypder mod that are in stock, ive checked every place i know of...
Check with your LHS or a "almost LHS". I found them in stock at all three hobby shops in my area. There is one in a neighboring town that I buy from over the phone and they mail them the same day. Almost all the savage parts are so light they can simply toss them in an envelope and put a couple of stamps on it for first class mail. They only run $6 at the LHS as opposed to $5.75 online.