Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Who's still running a .21?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Savage_Dias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's still running a .21?

My Savage is just over a year old & has roughly 5 gallons through it. A couple weeks ago I tore down the engine to clean it, added some new o rings & sealed it. I did the Ofna throttle mod & with fresh fuel (20%) I'm starting to pull wheelies. My engine is still running strong even though my starter pin & spring came loose inside the block. I'm still using the original one way & pull start. My one way doesn't turn. I have no idea how it locked up but the engine still starts & runs!

Is anyone else still running a .21 or am I one of the last of a dying breed?
Old 07-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Wizz Kid

Default RE: Who's still running a .21?

ask Unruley he made a post about his truck witha .21
Old 07-12-2004, 06:33 AM
jwan

Savage_Dias... I thought I was the only one! never pulled a wheelie though... what suspension setup are u running? The only problem I have with mine atm is that the carb needles sometimes like to adjust themselves... haven't figured out why, I suspect its the stupid o-rings but no one locally has them.

in any regards, there are two of this dying breed left... any more out there?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:22 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

I am still running my 21,Have done all the other mods and have a 25 and ribbed pipe nib.But after 4+ gallons can't seem to wear out this 21.On the original one way and use the roto start-No problems.It may not be the most powerfull set up but for a basher like me it has been fun.Plus I have not broken a single part on this Savage!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:52 AM
mike92220

i am still running .21 have never broke anything still mostley stock except shocks bent one shoch shaft on integy piggybacks thats it but i have it apart right now putting in .26 picco and spider mod
Old 07-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Savage_Dias

Jwan I've been running a real stiff setup. I used zip ties to hold my shocks in place. (between 3 & 4 spacers) I was running the stock oil which was NASTY to say the least. I still pull wheelies with fresh 20 wt oil & 2 spacers. My engine started running cooler & held a tune better after I sealed it. It was easy to do so I'll probably seal my next engine at the backplate & where the block meets the carb before I put it in.

I'm running what's in my sig but I can only get wheelies with my stock wheels. Oh, I have aluminum arms now too.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:04 AM
jwan

hmmmm, I recently sealed my engine as well... does that mean I didn't seal it properly or that it just didn't need sealing in the first place? when i took the carb off though part of the bottom o-ring on the carb like broke off...
Old 07-14-2004, 12:59 PM
tkalogiros

could be that you used the wrong sealant
Old 07-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Savage_Dias

Even if you have just a small nick in an o ring it needs replaced. If it didn't need to be sealed but you sealed it with the right kind of sealant it shouldn't hurt anything. My LHS told me today that since I was pulling wheelies my engine is about to die. He may be right but I think I'm just now learning how to tune it or it helped a lot when I sealed it. I don't put a lot of faith in what he says & I'm actually debating not putting the Wasp that I got in the mail today in my truck.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:37 PM
jwan

maybe I just don't enough about nitro engines, but I thought that if u were pulling wheelies it means ur engine is still in pretty good condition. if the engine was about to die wouldn't it have like no power???
Old 07-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Savage_Dias

That's what I would think. If it lost too much compression it wouldn't have nearly enough torque to pull the wheels up. When the engine in my Ranger died it ran so so for a couple miles & when I topped a hill I lost 75% of my power. I had it floored in 2nd & it was barely hitting 30. The days before it ran perfectly. I've never read anything on here about engines getting better just before they die.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:37 AM
DKD

im still running the 21 but hopfully not for long
Old 07-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Savage_Dias

If everything goes ok when I dremel my motor mount I should be able to break in my .26 Wasp.