Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

TF-4 vs Futaba: worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:57 AM
geofferama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF-4 vs Futaba: worth the $$$?

Which one gets me the better bang for my buck?

$330 [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/savage_ss/savage_ss_main.htm]Savage SS[/link] or $390 [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/savage25/savage25-m.htm]Savage RTR[/link]

There's a little comparison chart at the bottom of both pages (which is very convienent)
I'd definitely want the reverse module, but I've heard that the regular TF-4 AM controller & servos are a bit slow. So someone suggeted i go with the SS and a Futaba 3PM FM + servos (~$170 total?).

I checked out the cheaper airtronics` mx-3, but it doesn't have ABS (do i need ABS) and basically it comes down to the question of which is route is better/cheaper. I don't really care about the better exhaust pipe in the SS cause it'd get replaced with something quieter.

When you add up the reverse module + futaba & servos + extras like gas & a starter, the price of the total package gets awfully close to $600. For that much i could wait a few months and pick up a LST! I saw a few tf-4's on e.bay and they're worth jack squat. Are the stock electronics that much worse than a Futaba?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Wizz Kid

Default RE: TF-4 vs Futaba: worth the $$$?

if you get the ss
1. you have to build it all
2. it comes stock with the ribbed pipe and adjustable upper arms
3. a good not the best radio for $80 will work excelent ( i have the futaba MJ something it is much better than the tf-4, just make sure you have one with th. trim, st. trim, and st. d/r)

so in the end you basically get a free pipe and adjustable upper arms for around the same price as the rtr, excluding fuel and junk on both of course.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:32 PM
RC_UK

i have a controll with abs. its great. it slows properly without flipping with the abs on and when you want to do an endo just switch it off
Old 07-12-2004, 03:34 PM
[email protected]

HPI savage SS:

Advantages:
1.tuned pipe
2.heavy-duty dog bones
3.you can get to know the truck better by biulding it
Disadvantages:
1.You have a 2-shoe clutch
2.primer button on tank
3.pullstart
4.no electronics

HPI savage 25:

Advantages:
1.included electronics
2.3-shoe clutch
3.primerless tank
4.Roto start
5.nothing to build(if u lazy)lol!!!
Disadvantages:
1.not the best electronics (but does the job)
2.composite pipe

P.S : i would say go with the stock savage coz u can up grade the servos and the electronics will be just as good as any another electronics,and no buildin,roto start,3-shoe clutch.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:55 PM
geofferama

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

i would say go with the stock savage coz u can up grade the servos and the electronics will be just as good as any another electronics,and no buildin,roto start,3-shoe clutch.
I'm almost decided on the SS. I think putting it together would be a good experience, so that if (yea right) when i break it, i'll have some idea *** is going on. hahaha, the board censors stuff? w t f? w.t.f? alright i'll stop now.

As far as the controller/servos, I'm sure there's lots of guys in the forum with their original controller/servos sitting all by themselves in a box somewhere. Right guys?

Clutch can come later.
I'll just burn myself a few times working the pull start. noobs have to suffer somehow don't they?

Tx for the feedback. Are there any other essential upgrades that i should get? I'm thinking a rollbar wouldn't be a bad idea...