Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

stock wheels stripping!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:02 PM
IAN77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock wheels stripping!

OK i know all about the problem with the stock wheel stripping on the Savage, and it happened to me today! I want to know if getting the Hot Bodies Aluminum locking ones will help this issue or what? I also want to get different rims and tires(Preferably the Q6 with bow ties or road rage). Has anyone had a problem with the HPI Q6's stripping? I always check to see if the nuts are tight on the rim also! I just wanna keep this from happening again! I got Big Joe's but one of my Mambo rims broke where the lug tightens down at! I didn't care for them much anyways, slows the truck down alot!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:56 PM
howienf

Default RE: stock wheels stripping!

my stock rims havn't stripped out yet but my savage is only 3 weeks old and half a gallon through it. although a couple of the wheel hubs are getting really thin around the plastic from screwing in the nuts.....but i think it will hold for a while. i hope. i think using the bigger tires buts more strain on the hub of the wheel thats probably why yoru sis stripped out.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:44 PM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

well, my stock wheels stripped with the HPI bolt on aluminum hubs, so i don't think that upgrade will have any impact on preventing future wheel stripping. i am just going to use a ton of locktite in the future. i bought some maximizer beadlocks, so in the worst case, i will only have to replace the inner part of the rim if it strips in the future.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Puffnstuff

Replace your stock wheel hexes with some better ones like the gpm's. My stock hpi hexes were stripping out wheels like crazy so I got the gpms and no more stripping even with lots of power and great traction. The stock hpi wheels aren't as strong as rpm or proline wheels so you'll also want to change them out as well.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Monster Flip

the stock wheels are just prone to stripping...get something else other than HPI wheels. pm me and I will give you seller's email. He can probably hook you up.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

what do you guys think about gluing/jb welding the hexxes in place? i was thinking about it, and it seems to me that if i were to do that, then the hexxes wont move around and i wont strip anymore wheels... i dont really mind paying 6 bucks for new hexes if it saves me a set of rims...
Old 07-21-2004, 05:10 PM
magimerlin

I am still using the stock hexes(not for much longer) with the RPM Monster Clawz. I have crack two rims already in the past 4 months of runnung these rims. These are the ones that I am using http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXALM9&P=7
I am going to try the titans next they look like they have more surface area between the hex and the start of the spoke section.