Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Items Required?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Mako3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Items Required?

I am about to buy a Savage .25 and I was wondering what I would need to buy for it to run. Such as what kind of fuel (%) what kind of tunning wrenchs or drivers, what type of glow plugs and starter, and anything else besides a reverse module and fail safe. Also I was wondering what a starter box is for I was checking out Team Losi's starter boxes and are they suppose to automatically tune the Car/Truck for you?

Thanks Mako3

P.S. That Big Twin Truckzilla is sweet!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:20 PM
JAMO33

Default RE: Savage Items Required?

If you are buying it from your LHS than they should be able to point you in the right direction. If not, HPI makes a really nice little starter kit for nitro cars and trucks. Comes with a 4 way combo wrench, extra glow plug, glow igniter (with charger), Quart of HPI fuel, 250cc fuel bottle, and Nitro car cleaner. It's a nice little package for about $50. You need O.S. A5 glow plugs (I keep min. 2 fresh ones on me at all times). 20% Nitro is recomended. As far as the starter box goes...you can't use one. They will not work on the savage because of the way the TVP and main chassis are designed. And as far as I know they will NOT tune your car or truck for you, they are to simply start the car without the use of a roto-start or similar or pull start.

Good choice on the Savage and Good Luck with it. Enjoy!

Tom
Old 07-23-2004, 01:28 PM
sarpiparpi

batteries
Old 07-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Mako3

Thanks, I going to my LHS today at 2:00 pm to buy it thanks for your help.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:52 PM
howienf

i got my savage 25 3 weeks ago(first nitro rc) and its a great machine. however there was a problem with the one way bearing on the roto start. it broke first day. i had to go backt o the hobbie shop and buy one. however hpi sent me 2 for free when i called htem. although it took 2 weeks to get them. you should get 20% nitro with 14 to 18% oil content. the wheel hubs on the nitro are not that strong. i had one of mine already pop off. i fixed it with a couple of washers but i would invest is better wheels and new tires.thats my next purchase. you don['t need many tools to work on the savage. a philips and flat top screw driver some allan keys come with it. thats about all you will need and some needle nose plyers. plus some pull ties would come in handy. and when you buy batteries and if they are rechargable make sure they are 1.5v not 1.2v cuz u need alot of power to steer the savage. overall the savage is a great choice. not perfect but very good. no truck is perfect but i bet teh savage is the best out there overall....im quite happy oh btw, replace the composite pipe thatc ame wiht it. tis not that great and mine cracked open for some reason. i have a hpi ribbed pipe on order. they say its quite good right through the powerband and itl ooks alot nicer then the stock pipe.

thats about all i can think of.
goodluck ,and enjoy...
Old 07-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Mako3

Alright Thanks How,
I am breaking in my Savage 25 right now and I have it idle for 4 tanks of gas. I'm only on my 2nd right now.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:48 PM
howienf

no problem,
breakin is a killer. i just wantedt o run mine and i had the problem with the roto start bearing to add to my frustration. eitherway if u notice it runs faster as it warms up and waht not just turn down the idle screw. once broke in and the engine is hot it tends to idle faster anyway so dont be too concerned ab out it until you finished breakin then u can adjust the idle screw and the 2 carb adjustments. when you do tune your savage make sure that at full throttle there is a little visible smoke coming out of the pipe at all times. if you don't get any smoke at full throttle, your mixture is too lean and u will burn your engine out real quick, if you get too much smoke its too rich and u will have to turn the adjustment screws clockwise to lean out the mixture. only make 1/8 turn adjustments at a time until you have it running nicely and make sure the engine is hot when u do adjust it. run it for like 2 or 3 minutes pretty hard to make sure its warm then do your tuning.

later,
Howie