Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage propbles roto start problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 07:32 PM
RCBasher99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage propbles roto start problems

ok here it is i jest got my savage into day and i am braking it in and i did the first part put it on the box ect ect and then it cut out i say ok that what happond with my friend i will come back in a littal so i come back all cool down now so i got to start it back up and i put he saft into the hole and makes now sound [] so i do it agon and still no sound[sm=confused.gif] so i look and look in the manuals i cant find any thing what wrong[sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: savage propbles roto start problems

Is the roto-start itself turning, or is it the motor that makes no sound?
Old 07-23-2004, 07:41 PM
RCBasher99

yes the roto thing is turning and yes the moter is not making an sound it not making the rough sound any more
Old 07-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Acs_guitars

is the engine turning over? Is any sound at all coming from the exhaust?
Old 07-23-2004, 07:52 PM
RCBasher99

nopwe no sound at all one and a while it will but only for 1 to 2 seconds
Old 07-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Acs_guitars

Sounds like it's probably the on-way bearing in the backplate... Call HPI and they'll send you a new one. It is a rare occurance, but it is one of the problems with the roto start.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:13 PM
RCBasher99

ok i whent to go and start it agon and i gess it was flooded because i herd it agon but i tryed for 30 minites to start it but nothing jest the rough sound what am i doing wrong
Old 07-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Wizz Kid

if the engine is flooded dont spin the roto or youll break your one ways. does it sound like its trying to fire over? take the tube from the pipe to the fuel tank and blow fuel in the carb and then try to start it.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:48 AM
RCBasher99

yes now it works dont know what i was doing wrong but if it is flooded will the piston not move
Old 07-24-2004, 10:01 AM
RC_UK

rcbasher99:
speak english mate
Old 07-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Acs_guitars

If the engine floods it will hydra-lock because of the fluid in the chamber. THe piston won't move. If you used your roto-start when the piston was locked, you stripped your one-way bearing which is probably the grinding sound you hear. If you hear no sound at all from the exhaust then the piston isn't moving (the engine won't turn over). The only thing that would cause that is if you broke the connecting rod in the engine or you stirrped the on-way bearing. Bein only starting the breakin it is probably not the rod. Take it to your LHS and see what they say. From the sound of it, you stripped the bearing.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:44 AM
ac112785
My Feedback: (1)

i really didnt read what the problem was, but if you want the most reliable starting system for the savage, just get the pullstart. if you use it right it'll last much longer than the rotostart, this is a fact and not my opinion. if you want more savage help go to www.savage-central.com, register then go to the homepages, everyone there has a savage and there are some cool things there to look at and do to your savage.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:27 PM
RCBasher99

i took it to my lhs they said i did strip the one way so they gave me one for free thanks and sorry for the english
Old 07-24-2004, 12:33 PM
ac112785

my bearing skips too, but I've had it since Thanksgiving, wonder if I can still get a replacement, like tell HPI about the problem then maybe they can let me go to the LHS and swap it for free, just kidding, they'll be like it's time for a new one, now hand over $20
Old 07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Savage_Dias

My .21 still has the same one way & pullstart after a year of running it. Rotostarts are a pain from what I've seen & read unless you know what you're doing.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:59 PM
RCBasher99

yap theres my problem i dont know what the hell i am doing some times it works some time it dosent like jest a few secs ago it started then i was playing with it ran it out of gas so i when to ge put in more whent to go start here up nothing what the hell
Old 07-24-2004, 02:54 PM
howienf

It is definately your one way bearing. mine busted the first day 2. hpi sent me out 2 replacements for free. it took 2 weeks. iw ent to the hobbie shop and picked up one the same day it broke. it takes bout 30 min to disassemble and reasemble and get back up and running.its real easy. oncey ou get your bearing. unhook your exhaust pipe also,unhook all your gas lines and throttle linkage to the carb, flip your savage over(dont spill any fuel out of the lines) and remove the rear skid plate and gaurd 10 screws in total i think . 8 underneath and 2 up top near the front bumper. then use the allan key that came with your savage to remove the engine. 4 bolts only......should just come right out. once u get it off take the roto start off the back of the engine with the supplied allan key rench and slide off the bearing thats on teh crankshaft. put on teh new one and reasemble. when u put in the motor back in the chassis, it is very important u make sure that the spur gear and the gear on the engine mesh correctly or you could strip out your spur gear.....make sure its not too tight and aligned straight. u will know cuz it will make a funny noise if you turn it over.
goodluck

Howie
Old 07-24-2004, 02:57 PM
howienf

in addition to this its a common problem because the bearing manufacturer didn't properly heattreat the bearing and that made it brittle thats why it broke on mine first day and that is why hpi sent me 2 free ones when i called them. my lhs charged me $30 canadian to buy a new one. im gonna bring one back that hpi sent me and get my money back
f...kin rip
Old 07-24-2004, 03:32 PM
ac112785

if it takes u 30 minutes to dissassemble, what are you taking apart??? I take out the 4 screws that bolt the engine mount to the chassis, I remove the screw that hooks the tuned pipe retainer to the chassi, I unplug the fuel line from the tank to the carb and take out the 2 body clips from the fuel tank and the engine is off. takes like 5 min, then about another 5 min to put it back together
Old 07-24-2004, 04:44 PM
howienf

his first savage, first time doing it. 30 minutes was a conservative estimate to take it in and out and change the bearing and put everything back as it should be.....sorry we can't all be as proficient as you............nothing positive to say then, shut your trap! aZZ!
Old 07-24-2004, 04:46 PM
RCBasher99

how can i pervent this from happing agen and how dose a pull start do on the s-25 any good or no good [:@][&:][X(][sm=drowning.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=thumbdown.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=sleeping.gif][sm=punching.gif] all my emotions i fell to day
Old 07-24-2004, 05:04 PM
ac112785

i'm sorry, people are so sensitive here, wow

all I said was 30 minutes seems a bit long, no offense ????

you want me to be more considerate then why come back with an insult??? are you not catching my drift???
Old 07-24-2004, 05:05 PM
ac112785

did u notice the steps I take to take my pullstart off, i put that there just incase you were taking other parts off that you didnt need to, I was trying to help you save some time
Old 07-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Puffnstuff

If you keep on trying to start a flooded engine you will kill the one way. I've had one ways last over a gallon on my s25 and the one way in my mach is the original and the rotostart works just fine with them. You have to pay attention to what you're doing when you start the engine or you will break things. You know you can also use a drill with a clutch to start your savage as long as it spins fast enough. Just remember to put it, the drill, in reverse before you try.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:39 PM
RCBasher99

huuuummmm drill what u mean by that has any one tryed this and if so how i will probaly do that in till i get the part in but will a pull start work and if i were to get a pull start will this happon agen with the pull sart sorry for all the questions i am a wondering kid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.