Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Truck overheating but not...?

Old 07-31-2004, 08:00 PM
creyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck overheating but not...?

I was driving my Savage 25 the other day after doing a lot of work to it. (one way bearing, new clutch, 4-spider mod, viscous fluid diffs)

It's been at least 3 weeks since I last drove it, and when I did it was running well. We fired it up and it wouldn't stay running. After noticing a lot of fuel around the head I found at least one head screw had come loose. I thread locked them all and tightened it. Started a bit better and stayed running. It still wants to shut off right after starting up and I have to constantly give it gas to keep it going after a little while (30 seconds) it'll stay running and idle fine.

It wasn't shifting to 2nd speed which was very confusing, but I leaned out the top end needle a bit and it was again able to hit second. Very smooth, lots of power and smoke.

Anyways, my brother took it out for a few paces on the street next to my new LST. (Sadly it couldn't keep up but still looked great ) When he pulled it in he casually mentioned to me them temp was at 340ºF. 340º!! Yah, that's a bit much I would think, sure that's not 240º I asked? No, definitely not. I immediately shut it down by flooding it via plugging the stinger and melting a nice sized hole in my shoe bottom. I put it in front of a fan for a while, richened it up and tried again, still high though, and still lots of smoke.

The truck gets plenty of cooling through the body but I'm not sure what the heck is up with the high temps yet no other signs of overheating. It was running like a champ, pulling wheelies and generally hauling arse. Could it really have been running so hot? We checked the temp again (venom on-board temp monitor) and also checked for max temp which was 360º or some other ungodly high temperature. Wouldn't it have nearly exploded if it was really that hot?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Wizz Kid

Default RE: Truck overheating but not...?

you are lucky!!! if there is a lot of smoke you are too rich but your temps are high?? are there fuel line leaks and air is getting in?? your needles may need cleaned out. i had my lsn cleaned out and it runs perfect-ish now. it was running hot before i dont know how hot but hotter than wanted.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:09 PM
TGreg24

do all that then when u changed the one way bearing did u seal the backplate
also rich slightly check all lines and try another temp gun other than that if its still overheatin take it to the hobby shop

TJ
Old 07-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Ahab

perhaps removing and reseating the heat sink/head, as perhaps after the bolt coming loose there isnt a good contact between the lump and the head and heat isnt being transfered to the heat sink fast enough....