Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

4-stroke engine into Savage

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 AM
neil.jb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4-stroke engine into Savage

if we used 4 strokes in our r/c cars then it would be prettly cool because a super/turbo charger would actually make a difference to performance instead of just looking cool
Old 08-27-2004, 10:18 AM
sarpiparpi

guys cmon even of they had a law like that cops arent gonna come and check ur rc car if theyre 2 or 4 stroke
the only way theyll come is if they want their kids to watch savages kicik tmaxxes asses [>:]
Old 08-28-2004, 12:22 AM
GoonieAsian

if that is true about the whole banning 2 strokes in cali. and forcing everyone to run a 4 stroke. i can understand tons of torque but tuning one. i know planes with 4 stroke saitos and to get one tuned right you have to use a mini tach to control the rpms. i wonder how you are going to tune a 4 stroke on a car. you cant listen to it like you can with a 2 stroke.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:01 AM
Ahab

apparently if you drive a new Porsche 911 in LA the gasses coming out of the exhaust are CLEANER than the air going in the airfilter! So I can see why they might want to ban 2 strokes - the certainly belch out enough oil in their exhaust. But the Law really wont effect hobbyists - for starters I doubt there is a single piece of research to suggest that our exhaust causes cancer at all, there just arent enough of us to measure the effects...

besides ..... I DONT TRUST AIR I CAN'T SEE! [8D]

Ahab
Old 08-28-2004, 08:54 AM
SaV. BriT

Looks like your "Govenator" is becoming quite the "Girlyman"
Old 08-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Q8 RC

i dont get it

Bader

KUWAIT[X(]
Old 08-29-2004, 11:51 AM
SaV. BriT

gatta watch the news.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ahab

apparently if you drive a new Porsche 911 in LA the gasses coming out of the exhaust are CLEANER than the air going in the airfilter!

Ahab
This is a baseless statement, you cannot back it up. There is NO WAY that LESS co2 comes out than goes in; for God's sake there is a combustion element here, it isn't like it is going to produce oxygen....
Old 08-29-2004, 12:27 PM
HPI-Basher

yea u got me there ahab, maybe you are just saying that Porsche produced some new advanced catalytic converter.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Ahab

I can only go by what I was told. I just assumed that the burn in the ultra efficent engine combined with the catalyst and the airfilter produced cleaner emissions than went in..

if you have near perfect burn you will not get any CO (which is the really bad part of the exhaust). So if the exhaust is super clean then the filter/catalyser could in effect clean the atmospheric air and still have cleaner exhaust...

I cant back it up, it was what I heard and it seems to make sense... It might just be CO emission though....
Old 08-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Frost_

There are so many way to reduce the -monoxide component already you wouldn't even believe it. In LA however (or any BIG metropolitan area), the high levels of CO2 are a larger contributor to air that approaches unfit for [human] comsumption. Co2 is still the primary greenhouse gas produced in a quantity that here in the US, is disproportionate to the rest of the globe by far. Global warming is another planetary goody that can be predominantly attributed to the US of A...
Old 08-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Ahab

I cant argue with that - It hardly matters that the rest of the world signed the Koyoto agreement.
Then again the rest of the world said "dont go to war with Iraq".....

I am still going to stand by my Porsche statement for particulates and CO though......
Old 08-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Frost_

I cant argue with that - It hardly matters that the rest of the world signed the Koyoto agreement.
Then again the rest of the world said "dont go to war with Iraq".....

I am still going to stand by my Porsche statement for particulates and CO though......
For the first part, yeah, it is quite sad. Our lust for profit stands in the way of human well being. A large portion of the domestic "don't go to war with Iraq" are in NY as I talk; the police ready to brutalize the crowd and then say "it was the crowd that turned violent" on US TV news... I wish I was there...
Old 08-29-2004, 08:17 PM
Ahab

I cant say I would want to be there - facing down riot squads isnt my idea of a fun way to spend a sunday...

My biggest concern (at the risk of galloping wildly off topic) is that the Conveyer or gulf stream will stop in a few years due to the meltwater from Greenland...Suffice to say that if/when it stops doing its thing the UK will cease to have temps ranging from -10-+30 *C to more like -30 to +30 in the space of 12 months...... I like the cold, but we dont have the infreastructure to take that sort of sudden climate change in our stride, 3" of snow causes chaos..... it is gonna be bedlam.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Frost_

(at the risk of galloping wildly off topic)
ehhhhhhhh.......

I ....... like............ 4-strokes...................
Old 08-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: TJ31

All that stuff is BS, IMO... I loooooove 2-strokes!!!! YEAH!!! Although 4's aint bad either but I like 2-strokes! I sure am glad I live in Canada!! I like Banshees, Firecat F7s, YZ125s, etc... All 2's! Don't get me wrong though, there's alot of good 4's out there!

Obviously you have never driven a new hi performance 4 stroke. The new 4 stroke engines will SPANK the snot out of any 2 stroke, and the new 4 strokes are very easy to ride (especially in sand and mud, and less rider fatigue. At my local MX track, 4 strokes out number 2 strokes by about 4 to 1. So enjoy your Banshee and your YZinger 125 now, cause they are going to be a extinct in the next 5 years.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:22 PM
HPI-Basher

Polar Bus is right, many 4 strokes will out power a 2 stroke but it depends on the type of riding you do, if its like cross country or dune riding (just plain riding) then of course a 4 stroke will be better, but jump wise (what i like to do) a 2 stroke will kick a 4 strokes @$$, if you ever watched the x games and seen the FMX (Freestyle Motocross) part of it you won't see any 4 strokes there cuz they are just weak accelerators [8D]. So it pretty much depends on the rider and not the bike.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: HPI-Basher

Polar Bus is right, many 4 strokes will out power a 2 stroke but it depends on the type of riding you do, if its like cross country or dune riding (just plain riding) then of course a 4 stroke will be better, but jump wise (what i like to do) a 2 stroke will kick a 4 strokes @$$, if you ever watched the x games and seen the FMX (Freestyle Motocross) part of it you won't see any 4 strokes there cuz they are just weak accelerators [8D]. So it pretty much depends on the rider and not the bike.

The reason most riders prefer 2 strokes over 4 strokes from a freestyle jumping standpoint is 2 strokes are far more forgiving, and easy to jump. 4 strokes have a huge amount of "engine braking", which in short detail is spinning engine rpm torque that is transfered to the rear tire. This means on a 4 stroke, you must hit the face of a jump light on the gas, stay steady and perfect, if you make a slight mistake on a four stroke, you are headed for a painfull crash. 2 strokes also have much quicker throttle response, which makes them better suited for tiny indoor freestyle jumping, and of course lastly 2 strokes are lighter. But pit a 4 stroke against a 2 stroke in any dragrace, the 4 stroke will walk away EVERY time. (especially in less than ideal traction conditions such as soft dirt, or sand). With this in mind, I would be willing to bet a 4 stroke nitro car or truck would be so much better and fun to race, especially for lesser skilled drivers. They would get so much better traction, which means less crashes, better racing, less carnage to ones' truck or car. My concern right now is relibility. 4 strokes generally last longer than 2 strokes, but 4 strokes are more expensive to rebuild once they do need attention. Hopefull we will see some direct bolt in 4 strokes soon, I for one would buy one in an instant!
Rich