Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Shock rebuild frequency

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 04:30 PM
cranium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock rebuild frequency

I am curious as to the frequency that the average Joe does rebuilds on their shocks (both racers and non-racers).

For racing I received a response from Integy tech support:
The r/c shocks use only two silicone o-rings on their bottom seals and in off-road condition, small amount of dirt can go in after 30min to 60min running time. Racers usually rebuilt their shocks after 60 to 90 minutes of running time. This is usually done by replacing shock shaft, o-ring and shock oil. However, a lot of users replace only the shock oil without replacing the shock shaft and o-rings.
I find the recommendation from Integy hard to believe. Buying their rebuild kits (for my MSR5s) I would need to spend $50 every 1 to 1 1/2 hours of running my truck and spend more time rebuilding than driving.

Do you rebuild your shocks after 90 minutes of running?
What routine maintenance do you do on your shocks?
In your response please indicate if you are a racer or not and the driving conditions you typically drive on.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:25 PM
sarpiparpi

Default RE: Shock rebuild frequency

well im kinda racer i drive on my raceway like a mile away i never did those things well i blew up 4 of my shocks last week and i got new ones but b4 that i nvr did anything to them
Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 AM
8000ft

rebuild them when they start to leak, anything before that is just a waste.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:49 AM
cranium

I own MSR5s which didn't leak but they got particulates inside the cylinders in less than 2 hours of use in a field and road. The chrome also came off the shafts (which they have already replaced). But now I have 4 scratched up cylinders.

I don't know if the particulates are from the chrome coming off or if dirt worked its way into the cylinders but Integy is insinuating that the issue is because I'm not maintaining my shocks. So, the reason for this post is to find out if this is normal to rebuild shocks after a long hard day of running a truck with friends or even if racers are rebuilding their shocks after a race-day.

Is Integy blowing smoke up my butt or am I just expecting too much from a $140 set of shocks?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM
cranium

sarpiparpi,

How long were you running your shocks before they blew?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:57 AM
GotSavage?

A set of shock socks will help cut down on the amount of dirt that gets into the shocks and will make them last longer.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:57 PM
cranium

ORIGINAL: GotSavage?

A set of shock socks will help cut down on the amount of dirt that gets into the shocks and will make them last longer.
You are correct but what I guess I am trying to figure out is what is considered a normal maintenace routine and not what can I do to make it better so I don't have to follow the norm.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 PM
sarpiparpi

ORIGINAL: cranium

sarpiparpi,

How long were you running your shocks before they blew?
1.25 gallons mabe but they blew up bc of a crash they were great b4 that
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 PM
sarpiparpi

theyre still great
Old 08-13-2004, 05:33 AM
smitty70
My Feedback: (5)

Just check them every now and then for air in the shock. Push the truck down to the bottom of its travel and if you feel no resistance toward the top than there is some air in there, which means that some oil has leaked out. It may be easier to tell with the shock removed from the truck. If you have air in the shock than just refill or change the oil. If you notice it leaking alot then it is time to do a rebuild or replace. Try ebay for replacements. I have about 3 gallons on the stock shocks but I have shock socks. I think they help.