Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Nitro percentage (%)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Snikkari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro percentage (%)

I have heard that it is not good to go down on nitro %, like from 25% to 20%.

Is this true ?
If it is, why is it not good ?

Plz comment
Old 08-28-2004, 12:10 AM
GoonieAsian

Default RE: Nitro percentage (%)

you should usually keep using the same percentage of fuel you started off with. and preferably keep the same brand. 20% fuel is about the average joe uses in their nitro vehicles. when you go down in percentage you are going to lose your power. like you use 20% on a normal basis. then you go down to 15% or 10% fuel you are going to lose your ignition. and you are going to lose power. the higher the percentage the harder of an ignition will combust. the harder the combustion the faster the motor will run. and so on and so forth.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Ahab

I can see that you might need a new plug and will need to re-tune and that power will change by nitro% but does that mean that you shouldnt use a diff fuel/brand?
is there something that happens to the engine that means it wont like a diff. brand?

What risks are involved? (assuming you keep track of temps and tune back from factory settings and dont use a fuel that you engine isnt rated to use) and Why?

is it just a ruse by fuel manufacturors to keep customers loyal to their product?
Old 08-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: GoonieAsian

you should usually keep using the same percentage of fuel you started off with. and preferably keep the same brand. 20% fuel is about the average joe uses in their nitro vehicles. when you go down in percentage you are going to lose your power. like you use 20% on a normal basis. then you go down to 15% or 10% fuel you are going to lose your ignition. and you are going to lose power. the higher the percentage the harder of an ignition will combust. the harder the combustion the faster the motor will run. and so on and so forth.
I hear this crap about "don't change fuel!" all the time and no one can give a REAL reason why....

I have changed brands and % nitro in 3 engines now, one of them I have run 7 or 8 diff. fuels in and it has almost 5 gallons on it....

I say run what you want fuel wise. You WILL have to retune, but that is a given. You may (if you go from say, 10% to 30%) have to change heat-rnage on your plug too... But don't be scared to swap fuels...