Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Help please..

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Savage04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please..

OK so I was out bashing with my truck today and suddenly it sounded like the tranny has gave out or something. It just revs the engin and screams and its not catching in gear when gas pressed...is it possible clutch issue? I ve just broken this in so its a fairly new truck. Anyone know how I might repair this? Thanks
Old 09-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Varad

Default RE: Help please..

Is your spur gear stripped?? If not and the clutch is okay, its something in the gearbox.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Ahab

I am feeling optimistic:

it is just your spur gear!
Old 09-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Savage04

Thanks guys, by the way is there a more durable one that you can recommed so this doesnt happen if that is the problem. I will go check truck when i get home.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Ahab

the best way to save your spur gear is to set you slipper clutch correctly. tighten the nut that holds it in place fully tight then back it iff about 1/8th of a turn - if you hold the wheels you should be able to just make it slip by hand.
if you jump the truck with the throttle open the engine is still at high revs as the wheels can spin freely. But when you land the wheels slow down suddenly whilst the engine hasnt had a chance to slow down. This extra energy is a massive stress on the teeth of the gears...sheering them off. - Which is what we suspect is what happened to your spur.
The Slipper clutch is designed to give a little and take that energy away. A shock absorber if you will.
If you replace the plastic spur gear the energy of the shock is still there and with an incorrectly set up slipper clutch you will move the stress to other - harder to reach and more expensive - parts of the drive train. So it is best to keep the plastic slipper as a sacrificial unit.
If you can set the slipper clutch correctly there is no real reason not to get a steel or ti spur gear. but equally if you can set your slipper correctly your plastic spur will last much much longer - so why bother.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:06 AM
Savage04

When you metion that spur gear is stripped what does that mean..? the teeth being stripped? if so this is not my problem, I also took my gear box appart and things look good without any metal shavings. Sorry im just a noob so dont know much yet but im starting to get the hang of putting the truck together tho.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

On the subject of the slipper clutch, it may be good to make SURE it slips.When my truck was new I stripped the spur going thru tall grass.When I replaced it,I discovered that the steel "flywheel" was "glued" solid to the friction suface.With mass production these days, I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of them are that way!
Old 09-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Savage04

ok I have taken everything appart and the spur gear is not stripped and the gear box looks good as well, so Im really stuck at this point. The slipper clutch looks good, and I called hpi and they said that it might be the one way bearing, Part #86091 and That looked good as well...... Anyone know any other problem that I might be having because the tranny look good as far as I can tell? Should the spur gear spin when you roll the truck wheels around front & back or should it only roll spinning one way? Please help I have the truck in pieces and all the parts look good so im sittin here like ***???
Old 09-28-2004, 05:09 PM
magimerlin

Check your assembly instruction. I think it is pages 27,28,29. Make sure that all the pins are in the right place and also make sure they are there. Some of the older kits (from what I have read) had problem with braking a pin inside the transmission. When you give it throttle your clutch bell and spur gear are moving right. If not it might also be really glazed over clutch shoes. If that is the case I recomend going to the aluminum shoes. They require a little maintinence, but are well worth it in my book.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Savage04

Thanks everyone... After taking my savage completely appart like 5 times I have discovered that it was the differentials. I put in new clutch shoes because I broke the shoe while i was trying to take off. The aluminum shoes, I think is what I should of bought cause installing was a pain in the *****, and I scraped some of the new shoes already during install. I thought that it might have been somthing to do with spur gear so I ordered a bunch of extra parts for the future. Doing all of my homework along with hours of labor I dont feel like a noob anymore so hopefully I can help others on this site, like the way the site has helped me.
Thanks everyone!