Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Could somebody please give me their needle settings!

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Could somebody please give me their needle settings!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:26 PM
supernova803

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could somebody please give me their needle settings!

Can somebody give me the needle settings they run? People always tell me tune to your location. The problem is im horrible at tuning and don't wanna blow my piston and sleeve. Again. But will somebody please just tell me the needle settings they run and I can try to tune ut from there. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:41 PM
kimolop

Default RE: Could somebody please give me their needle settings!

would really like to be of help, but need to know which engine you have
Old 10-20-2004, 07:13 PM
supernova803

I have the stock Savage 25- sorry
Old 10-20-2004, 09:15 PM
TGreg24

dude tuning is soo easy turn the needles untill they are soo rich the car wont start and then go 1/16 turns from there and run at temps from 235 to 250 and urll be fine. the whole process takes like 45 min and u still get to drive
i said that in ur other post
Old 10-20-2004, 09:20 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

lol,45min[:'(]
Old 10-21-2004, 03:29 PM
supernova803

I don't have a temp gun(even after 2 years and 4 trucks) so I can't tell what temp I'm running.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:20 PM
stevblutu15

i dont have one either. you really dont need it, sure it could be a help. just keep tweakin the high speed valve until it performs right. if youll know youve gone too far one it starts losing power. good luck
Old 10-24-2004, 08:38 PM
supernova803

I would still like to know what needle settings you run to compare to what I'm running right now. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Frost_

Look, it really doesn't matter what other's settings are... SOOOOO many variables affect this (plug type, fuel type, relative humidity, temperature, differences in eniges and carb that are within allowed manufacturing deviation....) that what one person runs is no comparison to be using against yours.

TUNING 101

There is NO HARM in running the the S25 up to 270F as long as it isn't lean (stuttering).... They guys on another forum have been performance tuning vs. temperature tuning with interesting results. Their engines are running as long as those who were obesessing over lower temperatures, all the while the performance tuned engines were SCREAMING. Did you know that even with 16/49 gearing the stock S25 can be made to wheelie at will AND give good pull to top end? It can while at 270 or so and still provide longevity.

Tune for performance, forget the gimmicks, go with what works.

If you are already getting good top end and you are running at 250F or so (if you haven't bought a 20 dollar temp-taker DO IT) here is what to do to get SNAPPY response, this is what pulls wheels and gives you that GREAT take-off:

1. Since off the line "snap" can be given or taken away by being lean OR rich on the LSN the first move is a guess (well it won't be after you get a feel for it, but this will get you going quickly)...

2. Pull the truck up in front of you and let it idle for 8 seconds. Then pull the trigger to WOT... Did it scream and take off? If no:

3. You have to go one way or the other... choose richer or leaner (suprisingly to many beginners, off the line stutters can be caused by too lean conditions just as easily as too rich) and turn the LSN in that direction 1/16th of a turn. Make a short pass at medium to high throttle and return the truck to in front of you.

4. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor the throttle. Did it take off better or worse? If better, turn it a 1/16 in the same direction, if it got worse, turn it 1/8th the OPPOSITE way. Either direction you started in, now you will be going one way based on whether it got better or not... either richer or leaner.

5. Make another short pass at medium to full throttle (AFTER you made the change to the LSN) and return the truck to you. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor it. Is it still getting better? If so, continue to lean or richen using the pass/idle 8 seconds method until you lose preformance and back up a step...

If your temps are in range this is how to quickly get your truck to "explode" off of the line... Always make the pass to clear out the engine and then let it idle 8 seconds. The idling will allow it to either lean out or load up, depending on which way the current settings are off... Get the hang of this and your truck can really take off. If you end up leaning the LSN out excessively make sure to keep an eye on temps, your top end needle may need a bit of enrichment.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:21 AM
desertbuzz

Well said Frost!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22089.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	186415  
Old 12-19-2004, 05:00 PM
frank88

I have a pretty new savage .25, i broke it in but i'm having some problems tuning it. I don't have a temp guage and its like in the 30F here. I can get it running but it makes this like loud sputtering noise and i can only fix it by richining the hsn to around 4 turns and the lsn is at 3 1/2 to 4 turns. is this normal or am i doing something wrong.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:41 PM
stevblutu15

completely normal. your in break in process the engine needs to wear in. Until then it will need to run rich. 4 turns is fine, just run it through a few tanks. Follow the manual
Old 12-19-2004, 10:23 PM
frank88

Great, thanks it was just that the hsn in the manuel said it should be atmost 3 turns, but thanks for clearing it up for me.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Frost_

...and the cold of 30degF; that's some dense air. ANY engine will have to run at a richer setting (than 65degf F for example) to provide enough fuel for the volume of air...
Old 03-18-2005, 12:51 AM
nitroussavage

how do u post your own forum
Old 04-28-2005, 03:22 PM
megalon

OK I know this is an old post but i'll ask anyway
TUNING 101

There is NO HARM in running the the S25 up to 270F as long as it isn't lean (stuttering).... They guys on another forum have been performance tuning vs. temperature tuning with interesting results. Their engines are running as long as those who were obesessing over lower temperatures, all the while the performance tuned engines were SCREAMING. Did you know that even with 16/49 gearing the stock S25 can be made to wheelie at will AND give good pull to top end? It can while at 270 or so and still provide longevity.

If you are already getting good top end and you are running at 250F or so (if you haven't bought a 20 dollar temp-taker DO IT) here is what to do to get SNAPPY response, this is what pulls wheels and gives you that GREAT take-off:

1. Since off the line "snap" can be given or taken away by being lean OR rich on the LSN the first move is a guess (well it won't be after you get a feel for it, but this will get you going quickly)...

2. Pull the truck up in front of you and let it idle for 8 seconds. Then pull the trigger to WOT... Did it scream and take off? If no:

3. You have to go one way or the other... choose richer or leaner (suprisingly to many beginners, off the line stutters can be caused by too lean conditions just as easily as too rich) and turn the LSN in that direction 1/16th of a turn. Make a short pass at medium to high throttle and return the truck to in front of you.

4. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor the throttle. Did it take off better or worse? If better, turn it a 1/16 in the same direction, if it got worse, turn it 1/8th the OPPOSITE way. Either direction you started in, now you will be going one way based on whether it got better or not... either richer or leaner.

5. Make another short pass at medium to full throttle (AFTER you made the change to the LSN) and return the truck to you. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor it. Is it still getting better? If so, continue to lean or richen using the pass/idle 8 seconds method until you lose preformance and back up a step...

If your temps are in range this is how to quickly get your truck to "explode" off of the line... Always make the pass to clear out the engine and then let it idle 8 seconds. The idling will allow it to either lean out or load up, depending on which way the current settings are off... Get the hang of this and your truck can really take off. If you end up leaning the LSN out excessively make sure to keep an eye on temps, your top end needle may need a bit of enrichment.
This covers LSN tuning but can someone tell me the right way to tune the HSN?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

First, you need to adjust your HSN. My suggestion is to find a parking lot (Vacant, of course) and let 'er rip. Let the engine warm up, then run about 50' feet at WOT. Bring it back to you. Adjust the HSN 1/8 Turn counterclockwise (More rich). Repeat the 50'. How did it perform at top speed did the RPM's get a little higher? Better or worse? Better=keep adjusting the same way. Worse=Go 1/4 turn the other direction and repeat. Keep going until you have the perfect setting. Then make another pass.

Once the HSN is set, then (And only then) go to the LSN and follow those instructions.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Top Secret

What is:

LSN
HSN
WOT

Old 04-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

LSN=Low Speed Needle - See diagram
HSN=High Speed Needle - See Diagram
WOT=Wide Open Throttle

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88048.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	264381  
Old 04-29-2005, 09:09 AM
electrogoneglow

ORIGINAL: Frost_

Look, it really doesn't matter what other's settings are... SOOOOO many variables affect this (plug type, fuel type, relative humidity, temperature, differences in eniges and carb that are within allowed manufacturing deviation....) that what one person runs is no comparison to be using against yours.

TUNING 101

Yep, Frost is right, I followed these guide lines from a post a while back when my Savvy was new and have found that here in california where the weather changes on a daily and sometimes on an hourly basis, minor adjustments are nessessary to keep the engine running properly, so my settings would be completely useless to you not only because of the fact that they are always changeing but because I am only 90 feet above sea level