Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Truckzilla Advice Wanted

Old 12-24-2004, 07:47 PM
colindecon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truckzilla Advice Wanted

I have just been given a brand new truckzilla conversion and just want some advice on making run really cool, i dont want people just saying its crap and get something else i just want to know tips advice on breaking it in tweeking just making it a hot powerfull monster, hope someone can help

--------------------------------------------------

Savage 25 stock

Savage 21 + Truckzilla
dual disc brakes
Reverse
custom paint job (in progress)
Old 12-25-2004, 12:54 AM
nitrohead5300

Default RE: Truckzilla Advice Wanted

colindecon........congraulations on your gift!! And don't worry you can get it to run if you have patence. First off i would dissasemble the motor to check it for metal shavings, clean it out real good, lube the bearing and connecting rod. Next dissasemble the carb and check the high & low speed needlevalve o-rings make sure they are not dry rotted, if they are you need to replace them. Seal the backplate and carb with sensor safe silicone sealer when you put them back on the block, this will protect the motor from air leaks and make tuning the motor easier. Let the silcone dry for 24 hours before firing up the engine. I use the heat cycle method for breaking in my motors. Check-out http://www.affordablenitrotech.com for a detailed explanation of the heat cycle technique you can find it under Tech Support the thread is called - A Good Breakin Procedure For ABC motors. If you live someplace where it gets really cold during the winter then you need to wrap the heatsink head alumnium so your motor gets up to operating temps. You also need a temp gun so you can monitor the engine temp, you need to be in the 180-200 degree range. Now for the bad news it takes about 10-15 tanks of fuel to breakin the motor!! Loosen the glow plug about 1/8 of a turn before you attemp to start up the motor, once the motor fires up tighten the glow plug back up. I would use 20% fuel to breakin the motor. If you have any problems with the zilla contact Hot Bodies ask for Mr. O'bannon.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:05 AM
colindecon

now thats advice cool man[sm=thumbup.gif]

anymore???
Old 12-25-2004, 09:29 AM
nitrohead5300

I almost forgot don't put on the rotostarted until after tank 15. Because of the high compression of the engine you will be popping oneway bearings!! Use the pullstart , loosen the plug 1/8 of a turn before you start pulling it when it starts tighten it back up!! AND get a pair of work gloves to protect your hand from blisters while you are usings the pullstart. Dont forget to check the o-rings on the carb! Good luck! I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine!! Peace. OOPS almost forgot before attempting to start up your zilla.46 warm it up first with a hair dryer for about 3 min it will make starting it up that much easier!!
Old 12-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

This is all good advice.

Even when you switch over to the roto-start i would STILL recommend loosening your glo-plug and tightening it after starts. That is, unless you like buying and replacing one-way bearings. This will REALLY help prolomg their life-span.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:18 PM
colindecon

i broke the one way bearing and i losen the plug and im using the pull start why did it break so easly? ..and the bearings cost so much.

is there anyway to fix a bearing????
Old 12-27-2004, 02:18 PM
nitrohead5300

Does the oneway bearing casing have a crack in it? If it does not it might still be good and just needs to be cleaned out sometimes they get oil in them and it makes them slip clean it out and try it again. Also be careful you don't flood the motor when you prime it. To make starting the motor easier heat it up with your blow dryer for about 2 min before you fire it up. You should not have to pull that hard with your plug loosen , loosen the plug by 1/4 0f a turn next time.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:56 PM
colindecon

ok i just took it apart and its not the oneway bearing its the pin and the bit it turns with , it has a chip in it and is making it not lockin when turning???????? the engine has not been running for more than 2mins?? can it be a manafactors fault????
Old 12-27-2004, 08:26 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: colindecon

ok i just took it apart and its not the oneway bearing its the pin and the bit it turns with , it has a chip in it and is making it not lockin when turning???????? the engine has not been running for more than 2mins?? can it be a manafactors fault????
................Is the chip on the end of the crankshaft where the pin sits in? Because if it is then you need to send the crank back to hot bodies and get a new one should be covered under warrenty. There is a spring behind the pin did you find that?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:13 AM
colindecon

yes it is, why has it done this??? is that a common fault with crank shaft. yes i got pin and spring, the spring looks not very springy if u get my drift
Old 12-28-2004, 07:06 AM
Savage04

thats the only pain about this hobby, breakdowns...
Old 12-29-2004, 11:46 AM
colindecon

ouch blisters
Old 12-29-2004, 06:42 PM
kimolop

The start shaft broke on mine right after I got it. Hotbodies sent me a new one without question. No problems with this one in over a year. All the above is good advice. Just breaking that plug loose to start is the key. One other thing, this engine seems to be a little unreliable, ( hesitating, stalling, etc.) for quite a few tanks of fuel. Took about 15 tanks for mine to start running really well.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:40 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: colindecon

yes it is, why has it done this??? is that a common fault with crank shaft. yes i got pin and spring, the spring looks not very springy if u get my drift
..................Contact hotbodies it should be covered under warrenty.