Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Snow proofing your savage

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 12:24 AM
IceJBreaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow proofing your savage

What would you do to snow proof your savage..... I used it in the snow once but a whole bunch of snow went under the skid plates where the dogbones are and it also covered my filter and then it stalled. I had to quickly dry everything, I used a hair drier and a rag. Then i sprayed some WD 40 to prevent rust? Would you worry about snow getting under the skid plates where the dogbones are while running it or would you just dry it all out right a way afterwards? Snow also got in near the roto start. Would the snow do any damage to that? Is there anything you can do to protect the servos underneath the radio box, or cover it?
Old 12-26-2004, 01:46 PM
SS_Mania

Default RE: Snow proofing your savage

I live in Canada and I drove my SS all over on snow and "IN" the snow but nothing broke or f***** up but I broke my spur gear because my fault. You dont need any protection unless you go to melting snow area
Old 12-26-2004, 04:29 PM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

If your not protecting your electronics in the snow than eventually snow will get in the servos/receiver and short something out, its only a matter of time.Theres nothing you can do about the snow getting into everything. Your best bet is to balloon your servos and receiver or buy a can of plasti-dip for the servos.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:47 PM
stevblutu15

use packing tape, and cover all the front holes on the center plates, then take papertowels, and shove them up near the electronics. also put paper towels on top. works to a good extent, but is not fool proof.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:11 PM
monsterrcbuilder04

put model glue on the cracks of the electronics and the screws
Old 12-27-2004, 11:22 PM
crankshaft

I wouldn't worry about the electonics on the savage, they don't get wet easy- they are sealed good with the plastic cover watch your drive components though. I just wipe everything dry when it gets wet, and spray all the joints, like where the dogbones attach to the wheels and the drive axles in the truck. for spray dont use dw40 it dries up water good but leave oil were you spray it. use something dry like brake cleaner just watch the grease in your joints and bearings because spray cleaner will take it out. water doesnt not usualy a problem with hte savage. I only real worry about the engine get wet. make sure to dry the engine off good and you wont have any problems with it. otherwise rust in the drive train should not be a problem.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:24 AM
RedBullSSG

I bought some plasticoat in spray. It worked great! I just taped off the mounting flanges and the gear and sprayed about 3 coats, then put a dab of grease on the gear to keep moisture from entering. WD-40 is much better on it than break cleaner... once everything is dry, you can blow off the excess oil, and use 99% alchol in a sqirt bottle and air to clean the oil off where you don't want it, like the slipper clutch, brake, and joints.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:26 AM
fourwheeler

I haven't tried my savage in the snow but I did run the LST the other day. The air filter was a problem from getting covered in snow and killing the engine. Does the Savage suffer from this as well? Noone has mentioned any protective measures for the air filter.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:30 PM
mastermechanic

I was thinking about running my savage in the winter but since the nitro engines use a sleeve instead of rings like a gas engine it makes the nitro engine tighter and in winter the metal gets cold and shrinks and causes the piston and sleeve to get scored and have to be rebuilt in the spring so i chose not to run my savage in winter and just upgrade it and wait till spring. the antisipation is killing me.