Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

new proud owner of a savage needs help please

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

new proud owner of a savage needs help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:42 AM
rcuser
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new proud owner of a savage needs help please

the nitro 25 manual says the low speed setting is 3 turns out from closed. However this setting was way too lean and did not work for me since fuel wasnt getting to the engine. putting it out like 7 or 8 turns got the engine to start.

so im wondering where everyone's low speed needle setting is so i can have a general idea of where to set it. i dont want to set it wrong during break in.

thanks all.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: new proud owner of a savage needs help please

Look closely at that manual, it may be referring to the setting for the old 21, my manual shows the the 21 instead of the 25....

8 or 9 is good ballpark but it is dependent on your HSN, which limits total fuel into the engine. Just watch the temps.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:24 PM
rcuser

7 1/2 to 8 works great in my area..thanks for the reply. that manual really caused my hand to get sore from all that pulling before changing it to 8 turns out.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:38 PM
neil.jb

also check that you are holding the carb closed when closing the LSN, as soon as the slide starts to move thats when you stop, count your turns from there
Old 12-26-2004, 09:06 PM
rcuser

thnaks ill try that
Old 12-27-2004, 06:33 AM
brendan

Ive just taken the Truckzilla conversion off our SS Savage and have fitted the original 25 engine, wheels and chassis plates. This engine hasnt been run, I went straight to the Truckzilla conversion so Im starting the bed in process now. In fact the cars outside running through its first tank of fuel as I type.

I tried setting the LSN to 8 turns out but the car just massively over fuelled. Ive wound the needle back in around 4 full turns and its still spitting fuel from the exhaust but its running well enough so Ill leave it as it is.

How far do you wind the LSN in before you start the wind out process? The needle will wind in louds but then I read neils post so I wound the needle back out and then back in until the slide started opening. I then would the needle out 8 turns from there which gave the overfueling as decsribed above.

Any ideas where Im going wrong?
Old 12-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Nitro Driver

I always set my needles flush with the carburetor body and start leaning from there , works very nice.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:00 PM
neil.jb

ORIGINAL: brendan

Ive just taken the Truckzilla conversion off our SS Savage and have fitted the original 25 engine, wheels and chassis plates. This engine hasnt been run, I went straight to the Truckzilla conversion so Im starting the bed in process now. In fact the cars outside running through its first tank of fuel as I type.

I tried setting the LSN to 8 turns out but the car just massively over fuelled. Ive wound the needle back in around 4 full turns and its still spitting fuel from the exhaust but its running well enough so Ill leave it as it is.

How far do you wind the LSN in before you start the wind out process? The needle will wind in louds but then I read neils post so I wound the needle back out and then back in until the slide started opening. I then would the needle out 8 turns from there which gave the overfueling as decsribed above.

Any ideas where Im going wrong?
it is 3 turns from the position i described
Old 12-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Naim.F.C

Well my local hobby shop owner said that with the Savages you should just turn the LSN till it's level with the edge.
he said thats the best to start with and that after setting it at that you shouldnt really have to tune it much either.
he said that was the safest easiest default setting?

Is that not true then?
Old 12-28-2004, 01:01 AM
crankshaft

you say 8 or 9 turns. do you mean half turns, as in 180 degrees rotation of the needel, or do you mean full turns, 360 degrees? because I end up running 2 1/2 to 3 turns like the book says and so far mine runs good. waht % nitro are you running that you have to run that rich. not to say that I doubt what you are saying is true, but I run 20% and it runs good at les then 3 turns out for boht needels. I wouldnt think my settings could be that far off, and I doubt it would vary that much with air quality.