Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Break In

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Tagsrover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break In

Ok, i was breaking in my savage yesterday and encountered a problem. It said for the first tank i should lift the truck off the ground and run one tank of fuel with the wheels slowly turning. Once I started the engine, the wheels would just accelerate faster and faster until I had to shut down the engine because I was afraid it was going to overheat. i then adjusted the throttle servo arm by moving it back (so there is less throttle) Back on the box, the truck would run at constant speed. For the next two tanks driving on the ground, the truck wouldn't idle. Even with me giving no throttle, the truck would accelerate forward, and the brakes barely slowed it down. The only way to keep it from having constant throttle was to adjust the trim all the way back, so I'm afraid the brakes may have been constantly on. What should I do to get the truck to idle without moving and increase brake power? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:45 AM
ZEWSKI

Default RE: Break In

First, I would ignore the manual that you should run a tank of fuel with the wheels off the ground. Second, adjust your throttle trim back to the center position and reposition the servo horn. Take the air filter off so you can see the carb and after readjusting the servo horn use the trim and watch the opening in the carb. With the trim adjustment you should be able to completly close the carb and open alittle for increased idle. Repositioning the servo horn should also help with braking.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:14 AM
scrapheep

Default RE: Break In

Actually you should bottom the throttle trim all the way; next take off the air filter so you can see the slide in the carb.
With the radio on and the engine NOT running,set the throttle trim at zero there should be approximatley a 2mm gap between the slide and barrel of the carb, if not then reposition the servo horn till the gap is approx 2mm, idle screw adjustment can be used for fine tuning.

The reason your trim should be set at zero is because when proper idle speed is achieved you will never need less trim, only need more trim to idle up on cold starts.When all the linkage is properly adjusted your truck will idle perfectly with neutral brakes.

Hope this makes sense