Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage SS racing Mods

Old 12-31-2004, 09:04 PM
crazysavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage SS racing Mods

Hey savage freaks. I just put together a new SS with some of the mods from the Feb issue of RCDriver mag. I started with a vertigo Race This chassis that lowers the engine and trans and has a small length increase. I dremeled a whole in the stock radio box where the throttle servo would be. Doing this allows you to leave the steering servo intact and you dont have to make any mounts for it. In the cut out, I installed an enlarged fuel tank from an ofna violator as low as possible in the cut out. I installed a GH alloy bell crank steering with the built in servo saver and ran an alloy arm to the Hitec digital servo for strong precise steering. Next, I used a radio box skid plate from the Traxxis nitro stadium truck and attached the plate to the front bulkhead and placed the battery inside with the two dody clips. Next I cut the section that holds the steering servo from an old savage radio box and attached it to the inside of the chassis next to a new Diablo .28. A set of MSR5's and 23mm hubs wheels and proline tires went on next. I topped it with a Crowd Pleazer Maxx body that has a little yellow in it to match the proline high visability wheels{who says a racer cant look good}I trimed and shaved down the skids and the bottoms of the suspension arms and a racer is born. The Diablo .28 surprised me with its torque, the front still came up even though the chassis arms are level and alot of the weight has been moved to the front. The high reving .28 gave the truck fantastic top end and the truck handles amazingly quick predictable and easy to drive. Why didnt I just buy a Revo? cause a I hate whining little small blocks and the big block conversions just upset its chassis. This truck is now a Revo Killer but it looks like a truck sounds like a truck because it is a truck, not a formula 1 chassis wiyh really long arms.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:07 PM
Wizz Kid

Default RE: Savage SS racing Mods

.................................................. .......................................wow that sounds like a real homemade custom mod. sounds sweet!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:59 PM
rustler 1

lets see some pics maybe when all is good
Old 01-02-2005, 12:16 AM
crazysavage

New Savage race truck with Diablo .28 Crowd pleaser body was just too small and looked dumb

A shot of the Vertigo Race This chassis...lowers the trans and engine quit a bit

GH servo saver bell crank mod...give the truck tons of steering

Battery box out front... waiting for a flat pack from LHS, the radio will go here and the battery will be strapped under the chassis next to the steering servo

Throttl/brake servo mounted next to engine...thinking about making a small heat sheild to protect it.

Buggy tank installed
Old 01-02-2005, 01:50 AM
fernandorussell

what are those shiny aluminum things on top of the shocks, why do they stick out like that?

thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:58 AM
crazysavage

Are you being sarcastic or what? If your question is sincere, I just say that they Integy MSR5 piggy back shocks. The bump you see is a volume compensator. There is a foam cylinder inside with shock oil. Asmall hole conects to the main body of the shock and when the shock bottoms out after a big jump, the extra force is absorbed into the comensator and the shock shaft is less likely to bend. They are made with cooling fins and 3.5 mm shock shafts
Old 01-02-2005, 01:52 PM
fernandorussell

thanks and where can i see that issue of rcdriver online?

thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:36 PM
ratpower396

might want to ditch the stock air filter for a motor saver or something else just dont get the K&N heard its no good on the trucks clogs up really quick..
Old 01-02-2005, 11:00 PM
crazysavage

Thanks for the filter saver idea but that is what normally use. I had to put the radio in that big box in front of the roll bar to protect it so I could break in the new engine. That box blocks the motor savor from fitting. The reciever battery is in the box in the front of the truck and when the 5 cell flat pack battery comes that i ordered, I will place the battery on the inside of the chassis next to front drive shaft down as low as possible. Then I can put the reciever in the box at the front of the truck, remove the temporary box and put the motor saver back on the truck. The stock filter cleans air well enough to run on asphalt it still is as clean as new after seven tanks for break in.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:25 PM
rustler 1

how much ? lol i want