Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage engine break-in

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 12:43 PM
LAWB44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage engine break-in

I purchased a new savage 25 nitro truck and started the recommended break in procedures. on the first tank of fuel, the engine rpm begins to increase as it warms, reving higher and higher then finally dies. I restart and the whole process starts over. Takes about 10 minutes of run time to rev and die. I cant even reduce the rpm manually with the radio and servos off. should I change the factory break-in carb settings to correct this or is this normal?
Old 01-29-2005, 03:59 PM
ratpower396

Default RE: savage engine break-in

if you have to adjust the idle screw & you will be fine..Just take your time the 25 engine makes plenty of power if you break it in slowly & thoroughly..
Old 01-29-2005, 05:16 PM
cardriverx

and try makeing the tune ritcher
Old 01-30-2005, 12:33 PM
FrntRngNitro

My guess is to richen up the Low Speed Needle. Just a little... like 1/8 turn CCW
Old 01-30-2005, 05:44 PM
87porsche
My Feedback: (1)

i also just got a savage 25 and was breaking it in today for the first time for about 15 mins because it was getting dark out and when i go 3/4 throttleit make a really crackely sound and also i tried going full throttle and it wouldnt go any faster. i used to have a thunder quake and it had a much cleaner sound. im running monster horse power or something that trinity 20% break in blend fuel.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:46 PM
87porsche
My Feedback: (1)

could it be because its 37 degrees outside ???????
Old 01-30-2005, 06:05 PM
FrntRngNitro

ORIGINAL: savagecrazy

i also just got a savage 25 and was breaking it in today for the first time for about 15 mins because it was getting dark out and when i go 3/4 throttleit make a really crackely sound and also i tried going full throttle and it wouldnt go any faster. i used to have a thunder quake and it had a much cleaner sound. im running monster horse power or something that trinity 20% break in blend fuel.
That's because it's adjusted so rich for the break-in period. Mine does the same thing; I try giving more than a little over 1/2 and it just bogs & sputters. Once you get past the break-in and start leaning out the HSN it'll start running like it should. Nothing to worry about really.