Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Gearing my .28 SH

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:55 AM
ieattraxxas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing my .28 SH

Hey Everyone,

I just put a .28 sh on my Savage with a ribbed pipe and all I can say is WOW!!! It is so fast I can't believe it. I am waiting on a Hitec HSC-5998 Titanium Gear High Speed Servo to help out with my steering. On my stock Savage 25 I went to 52 tooth spur and liked it alot more than the stock 49. Seemed alot faster and didn't seem to sacrifice much low end. My .28 however has WAY TO MUCH low end. What is the best way to fix this? I would like it to have alot of low end but not too too much so if there is a way that I can get it faster top end without too much loss of low end please post it. I would like to change my clutch gear, but do not know what size to go with... Do clutch gears work the same way spur gears do (meaning more teeth = higher top end and less low end?) I am thinking of going to a 53T delrin spur and changing my clutch gear, but I have no idea what size to try out. Also is changing transmission gears a common/possible thing? I'd like to do what most people try and have success with. I also just orderred some JumboMaxx Swamp Dawg's so that should help out on stealing some low end as well I'd thinking. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-04-2005, 01:11 AM
ieattraxxas

Default RE: Gearing my .28 SH

bump
Old 02-04-2005, 02:29 AM
rscharp

You've got some thinking mixed around in that statement, bub. More teeth on clutchbell = higher topend. More teeth on Spur = less topend, more low end grunt. You switching to a 52 spur wouldnt sacrifice the low-end, it made it better and sacrificed your topend. If you want good gearing, this is my advice. 49 Spur, 17 Clutchbell. Thats all I'll give ya. You could mess with the tranny gears, but this will set you in the right direction.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 AM
rscharp

O yeah, and people don't like to see a bump in topics when they are less than half an hour old. Give people time to respond.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:13 AM
MonkeyRC

I'm running an SH.28 with an 18/49 (2.72 gear ratio) combo. You could also try a 17/47 wich is a tick lower (2.76) if you have the gears handy.

IMHO, an SH.28 has simply too much low end power to run lower ratios commonly used on stock (or less powerful) motors. No way would I use a 52t (or larger) in any situation with this engine, and I'll only use a 49t with larger CB's such as an 18t or a 19t.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:06 PM
ieattraxxas

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the early bump, bumped it b4 bed and didn't realize it was so soon. The guy at the hobby shop told me the wrong info then b/c I put the 52 on for more top end....what a dumbass....and I am ignorant b/c I just go into the hobby....thanks again