Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Motorsaver Air Filter HELP PLZ!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM
savage25er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorsaver Air Filter HELP PLZ!

Hi, just installed the motorsaver filter and i cant seem to tune it anymore. the half tank leaning seems to of became much worsr is this normal? i hav had to tune the truck so that it is sooooooooo rich until like 1/4 tank otherwise it will jus go too lean anyhelp would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
Old 02-07-2005, 12:16 PM
ed260z

Default RE: Motorsaver Air Filter HELP PLZ!

It sounds like there is to much oil in the filter. Here is a fix;
Take out the filter, put it on a piece of clean paper towel and squeeze until you get some of that excess oil out.

And for the lean out problem, try this;
Shorten the back pressure tube as much as possible.(So that there is just enough to go from the pipe to the tank)
And then make the fuel line about 12-14inches. (about 1/3 of a meter)
That should eliminate or lessen your lean out. It cured mine.

Hope that helps you out.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Richie-EB4

Sounds like you might have an air leak...........JMO

But you do have to re-tune your engine when you put a good filter on.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 PM
savage25er

If i have an air leak, what do i have to do to cure it?

Cheers
Old 02-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Richie-EB4

Try ed260z surgestions first before you start with the motor.

If you had it running ok b4 you fitted the filter then it should be ok.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: savage25er

Hi, just installed the motorsaver filter and i cant seem to tune it anymore. the half tank leaning seems to of became much worsr is this normal?.....
Thanks

Joe
The half-tank leaning becoming worse over time is nearly a give-away for an airleak.

The first culprit, as said, is the lines. Some people apparently have varying results playing with different lengths of lines...

While putting on new lines check the tank.... Hook up a new piece of line to the tank's fitting that the tuned pipe ties to. Cover the fuel exit fitting and blow through the tuned pipe line you just added and make sure the tank isn't leaking.

If the problem persists, pull the engine. Clean the outside thoroughly with some type of nitro solvent. Pull off the starter's backplate and then the engines backplate. Use the nitro solvent to clean the engine backplate and it's seal area, both on the block and the backplate... Use some gasket sealer like RTV (from your auto parts store) and put a thin film spread with your finger over the seal area and replace the backplate. Pull the carb and do the same to it's neck. Always use a new copper washer under your glo-plugs also.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Richie-EB4

Well said Frost
Old 02-07-2005, 02:26 PM
ed260z

Just a little off topic here Frost, but you seem to be one of the more knowledgeable people on the forum.
I ran my savvy into a creek in December. OOOPS
Just recently I started having problems with my plugs. (they only last about 2-3 min) So I took it apart and OMG, RUST!!!
So the question is? How do you suggest I clean it up? Nitro cleaner, WD 40. Its all surface rust and after putting in some ARO it started killing my plugs. I'm guessing that some of the rust is coming off, but there is a lot of crud in the engine now.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

The parts than can rust are steel, they are : the crankshaft, and the backplate "spinner" on the inside of the engine. I would pull the engine down (remove the crank and backplte) and use a wire wheel with a dremel tool. It will give a nice shiny surface back. After that clean it THOUOUGHLY and lightly oil it to keep the flash rust away until it is run again. A few drops of ARO after runs will help dispell water and keep it in good shape for the future.

If you have never torn down an engine it can be intimidating, but it is quite easy, and a good confidence building excercise. Pull the cooling head, then the backplate. Rotate the piston to TDC and the sleeve will pop up a tad. VERY CAREFULLY use an appropraitely sized plier to remove it (never touch the inside of the sleeve with any tools). Now, with some rotation of the crank, you will be able to get the con-rod off of the crankshaft. From here the shaft slides out.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:13 PM
brokenstuff

i found that switching to byrons racing fuel saturday that my motor runs ALOT better 20% nitro 12% oil content

its running cooler and seems to have alot more power

i ran a gallon of sidewinder bash fuel through it from brand new 20% nitro 16% oil content as i thought the higher oil content would be better on the break in
Old 02-07-2005, 04:50 PM
ed260z

Thanks Frost