Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Going to Buy

Old 02-11-2005, 05:00 PM
ben_s25

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Going to Buy

Hi
i decided to go and get a Savage 25 but im not
100% shue could all you ppl who own a savage
25 list all the pros and cons
plz thanks ben
Old 02-11-2005, 05:02 PM
toby1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Going to Buy

durability definatly get one
Old 02-11-2005, 05:24 PM
ed260z

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cons???????? What cons!!!! Get it.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:55 PM
bashking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pro's = best bashing monster truck on the market
Cons = everyone else hates you when you bump into their trucks and they fall to bits
HA HA
Old 02-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Richie-EB4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Ben s25

I have already told you about these monsters but you will not regret the investment............but the spur gear is a very weak point on them and a must have upgrade is the RX battery pack (5cells Hump)

Most of the new 25's already have the spider diff mod and cam steering (unless your LHS still has loads of old stock)

But as posted earlier........these will go anywere and beat the **** out of most other MT's

Go for it
Old 02-12-2005, 04:47 AM
bashking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't see the reason why everyone says the plastic spurs are junk. I have run nearly 3 galons of fuel through mine and i have had the engine out several times for maintenace/hopups and my spur looks exactly the same as when it was brand new. I admit the savage will not forgive you if you dont mesh the gears correctly but adding a metal spur only gives you a tiny amount more freedom of movement. Is there something i am missing? Oh by the way i'm running a .25 engine so its not as though i dont have much power going throught the transmission and my spur has been run with 14, 15, 16, and now 17 tooth clutch bells so its nothing to do with them either.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Richie-EB4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would have to agree with some of that..............the only spur i have striped was set-up at the factory as my savage was an RTR.......but after refiting a new one ive not yet had any probs.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:35 AM
lildebi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

good for the guys that havent stripped a spur gear your awesome they ought to make you both man of the year and throw a tickertap parade in your honor.. everyone knows the spur gear, diff, and servo's are the weak links in a savage and just because you are the greatest person on the planet and havent had a problem with them doesnt mean thousands of others havent ...
Old 02-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Richie-EB4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very strong words there m8...........

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)
Old 02-12-2005, 10:07 AM
bashking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heh Lildebi dont make fun of me. EVERYONE doesnt know that the spur gear in a savage is a weak part i have spoken to plenty of prople who haven't had a problem with them. If there is a problem with them which is causing them to break then thats fine. I wasnt having a pop at anyone i was just voicing my opinion and asking a question. If you want to say something there are plenty of better ways than sarcastic comments, how about this, next time you see a savage with a chewed up spur have a look at what has caused it as the only ones i have seen have been loose from the clutch bell whitch has chewed them up and if they had been replaced with a metal spur then the only result would have been a chewed up clutch bell aswell. If you want to educate me as to some other major flaw in the design then feel free but leave the tantrums at home ok
Old 02-12-2005, 10:17 AM
stevblutu15

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The spur gear on the savage is absolutly NOT a weak point. It is made of plastic to be your first line of defense, When the engine is aligned perfectly, the spur will never wear down. I have gotton month's out of a spur, or not even gotton a day outta one, it's all according to how you mesh your gears. If something were to get jammed up, and you stripped a spur, wouldnt you be glad you stripped a $3 spur, than the gears inside the tranny, or the diff's or an $18 clutch bell. The spur has it's purpose for being plastic, and im sure if it were a major weak point, HPI would have changed it to steel on the new 4.6ss. A hump pack is a great option, and really improves the servo's power, but if you do not have the money it is not a nessecary thing. The truck will run on AA's, you just wont get full performance out of the electronics.
just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lildebi

good for the guys that havent stripped a spur gear your awesome they ought to make you both man of the year and throw a tickertap parade in your honor.. everyone knows the spur gear, diff, and servo's are the weak links in a savage and just because you are the greatest person on the planet and havent had a problem with them doesnt mean thousands of others havent ...
Perhaps once you learn how to get your truck setup properly your spur issues will vanish. Then you will see that it isn't the spur that is a weak link but rather, your lack of knowledge and experience.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Richie-EB4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Like i posted earlier.........the only spur that stripped was set at there factory which shows how they can get it wrong.

Not very good quality control.......JMO
Old 02-12-2005, 04:22 PM
bsmith9510

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have stripped a couple. They didn't strip till after I had to remove the motor though so I think it was just inexpierience on my part. The stock spur took alot abuse while it was in though.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:46 PM
ed260z

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lildebi, perhaps you need to remove your self from these forums, until you learn how to talk to other civilized people. [:@]
The only reason your stripping spurs is your lack of experience, or your unwillingness to learn from your mistakes.
Although the 4 gear diff mod is good to have it's not a necessity. And the only MT out there that comes with top notch radio gear is the LST. Everyone else has an entry level radio.

And Richie-EB4 I think your right QC has been down since I got mine. My friend got his last month and I had to almost rebuild it. There were a lot of loose screws. But with that in mind the Savvy is still the best MT on the market.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Richie-EB4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ed260z

And Richie-EB4 I think your right QC has been down since I got mine. My friend got his last month and I had to almost rebuild it. There were a lot of loose screws. But with that in mind the Savvy is still the best MT on the market.
I have to say tho.........from a massive company that has been around for as long as they have you would think mistakes like these would not happen.
Im not sure if some of the spurs are softer than some but it is very strange how some have probs and others not.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:48 PM
bashking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm pretty annoyed with these loose screws on savages and MT2's. I know HPI say to check all fixings on a new truck but i took my brand new MT2 out last weekend (obviously it had been run in) and within 5 minutes of giving it 3/4 throttle the clutchbell had come off. I apprieciate that checking all chassis screws on a new car is a very good idea even if the manufacturers dont tell you to but how can they call a truck RTR when you have to strip half the dam thing down before you use it just to tighten up screws that could have been tightened properly in the first place! If that is HPI's idea of RTR then i sugest they go back to producing non-preassembled kits like they used to and forget the RTR thing. Just to moan a little bit more my 2nd mt2 that i got this weekend hasnt even been run in yet and (luckily) i noticed that the card was bouncing back to half open after i applied the brakes. This was caused by the small nut that holds the throttle arm being loose. I really feel sorry for the people who buy these models hoping to get a helping hand into the world of RC nitro and then find out that they basically need to go over the entire instruction book just to get there RTR model to run. Sorry if that was a bit long but the soapbox was empty and i just jumped on it for a bit.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:26 AM
ben_s25

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can u guys please say on topic
Old 02-13-2005, 10:41 AM
stevblutu15

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would def get a savage.25 I have one, and the durability is unmatched. INSTEAD OF paying for broken parts, like you would on many other rc's cough traxxas cough, haha jk jk you can save your money, and spend it on hop ups you really want, AKA engine upgrade. Stock, in my opinion is excellent with no flaws, until you find that stock performance isnt good enough, and you want more. I ran my truck totally stock, for about 3 month's. Then i started upgrading, and have never looked back. Stock the truck is awsome, and if i had to buy it again, i would, without hesitation.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Tagsrover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey, could you guys tell me where to get a hump pack for the servo. Is there a specific design or brand, or will anything work? (Sorry for the stupid question)
ps. i also love my savage. I finally got it tuned up yesterday, and was running it around, trying to see what it was made of. i hit a tree at about half throttle, and it just bounced off, but the servo is too weak to adequetly brake and steer at the same time (probably the almost dead AA's) You should def. get one.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Richie-EB4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is probly the most common..........[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFJT1&P=ML[/link]

Hope that helps
Old 02-20-2005, 06:31 PM
savageboi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys, i was just wondering if u could use a cordless drill with a dogbone at the end to start the savage
Old 02-21-2005, 05:55 AM
bashking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont think a dog bone will fit but the shaft from the rotostart in a drill would be fine. You just have to make sure that you have a clutch on the drill or you will probably damage your motor. My mate swears by his starter which consists of a 12v moped battery with a small hand held driver. It works all week long without a charge, but he has stripped a roto-start back plate using it as it has a bit more torque than a roto-start
Old 02-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Wizz Kid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

on topic now, i have a savage 25 and i love it. but i'd say if you want some extra hop ups from the start get a savage SS 25. its got a few more hop ups than the rtr version but all you need is a radio set which comes to be just over the rtr but worth it. or the new savage ss 4.6 (2.8hp) just came out with even MORE hop ups starting at like $440 i think w/o radio but seems like it would be a LOT of fun. if you do get an rtr then you will want an hpi ribbed pipe(already with the ss 25)
Old 02-21-2005, 02:34 PM
savageboi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what do you mean clutch. and wut setting on the cordless drill is best? strong or weak? or inbetween

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.