Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Motor Tuning Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Bender101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Tuning Gone Bad

Well I retuned my motor a week ago to factory settings becuase I could not start it. This week I tried out those settings and my motor will only idle for two seconds. Then I made everything richer and now it still only idles about eleven seconds at most without me giving it throttle. It normaly only lasts around two. Still when I give it throttle it doesn't idle long. How do I make it idle longer? I was thinking aobut increasing the idle speed. Will this help? Please help me. Tell me anything that might help. Am I too rich or to lean? It was bogging for a while and my fuel makes the motor bog when its too lean. So I made it richer. Should I made it leaner?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Motor Tuning Gone Bad

Are you sure that you have fuel pressure and no tank leaks? If I don't properly pressurize mine by cranking (or pulling the starter) with the exhaust plugged, mine won't idle or sometimes even try to start. Keep in mind that if your engine is broken-in, the factory settings will be too rich. Start adjusting the HSN first. Run back and forth a few times. Does it wind out properly? If not, try a 1/8 turn in either direction. Better? go another 1/8 and repeat. Worse? go the other way.

When the HSN is adjusted, then go to the LSN. When you idle (You may have to set it a bit high until the mixture is right), you should be able to idle 8 seconds and then punch the throttle and take off. If it dies, you are too lean. If the LSN boggs you are too rich. Adjust in 1/8 turn increments. Make a few passes to clear the engine and repeat the test.

P.S. A good starting point for the LSN is flush with the end of the slide.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Wizz Kid

there are 2 bogs, a rich bog and a lean bog. you very well could be rich and just keep richening it. for take off adjust the lsn in 2 hour increments.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Bender101

About the tuning. It almost seemed random. With my settings once I got it to run around eleven seconds but normaly it only lasts around two. When I take the rotostart out thats when it only lasts about two seconds. Is my problem a pressure problem or tuning?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Baroncowboy
My Feedback: (1)

Hey dude,
This might help you,and its worth a shot...
Take your engine outa the truck and remove the carb. and back plate...
Get some red silicone(gasket maker) from any automotive store,and dab a little around the carb O-ring,and the inner edge of the back plate...Now what I mean by saying back plate,is the one with 4 screws in it,behind the roto-start assy...[NOTE] If you've never done this,be carefull not to lose the little spring and pin in the crank/rod shaft..This is needed to ingadge the ROTO-Start...Now make sure you put everything back the way you took it apart,and make sure to "lock-tite" all the screws.
If you need to know what type of lock-tite to buy,get the blue stuff(Non-Permanent)...
This will ensure there is no leaks at all,and you'll know its done right....If you need insentive,........
ALL THE PRO's DO IT!!!
Now set all the needles to factory settings,then turn your high speed needle a full turn and a quarter clockwise"Lean" and this should be a good starting point....
Also you should have atleast 12-15 inches of fuel tubing between your tank and muffler...
This helps to retain presure in the tank better...If you need clairification on this matter,what it does is increases the volume of the presure line,making it harder for the internal tank pressure to feed back out of that same line...In other words,it wont alow your motor to starve for fuel once its been idled being that it still has pressure and will make jamming the throttle from an idle to wide open respond quicker without any hesitation....
Good luck and have fun!