Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

ofna tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 AM
usernametaken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ofna tank

gday everyone looking at replacing the stock tank with the ofna tank. have been looking around posts and bit confused on which tank . I see tower has two tanks listed one is for monster pirate and then one is the buggy tank. The dimensions for the monster pirate one looks like it will fit nicely but seems to be no dimensions for second tank.

monster pirate tank
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXABE9&P=7

buggy tank
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBM24&P=7

i know about sav central selling new era tank setup but they seem to be out of stock for ages..and looks like to order directly from new era is a pain for international.
fabricating a mount is not a problem for me so i am just after a tank tower doesnt say in the buggy tank if it has a stone filter inside or dimensions that is why i kinda like the monster pirate tank but not sure if that does the trick as well.

thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 08:39 AM
I Eat Glue

Default RE: ofna tank

Neither of these will fit since the mounts are placed differently. And the stock tank is twice as wide with a notch out of the left side so it can fit on the chassis. Why do you want to replace a perfectly good tank with one that has less capacity? You could of course buy the new tank and make it fit but why would you if it already works well with the stock? Is your stock broken?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Try This tank:

http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...b&part_id=1704

It comes highly recommended. It supposedly eliminates the Half-Lean issue that is common with the stock tank and even more common when running the ribbed pipe.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: I Eat Glue

Neither of these will fit since the mounts are placed differently. And the stock tank is twice as wide with a notch out of the left side so it can fit on the chassis. Why do you want to replace a perfectly good tank with one that has less capacity? You could of course buy the new tank and make it fit but why would you if it already works well with the stock? Is your stock broken?
The stock tank SUCKS, that's why it needs to go. Out of every trick in the book to solve the half-tank leaning (which is exaggerated by the single-chamber ribbed pipe, among othe things) this is the only one that got my truck tuning consistently. Don't you notice that your truck seems sluggish at first, and seems to take a long time to warm up? And then, by the end of the tank it's screaming like it should the WHOLE TIME....

That's why it needs to go.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBM24&P=7 This is the tank that New Era sells along with their bracket. Come back to this thread late tonight or tomorrow and I'll post some pics of it so you can get an idea of what you need to be making. I have my truck apart for a ground-up rebuild, so I have it off and handy. There isn't much to it.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:25 PM
RabidRacer

will this be a prob with the 4.6?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Rep99099

Frost, I noticed that the tank you gave the URL to at towerhobbies is only $9.99. And at New Era it is $27.
Does the tank at towerhobbies come with the bracket and mounting posts like the one from NewEra does? Are they the exact same?

I splattered my New Era tank into pieces and was just going to get a stock HPI tank, but maybe I will get two New Era tanks for both my savvys.
That is, if the one from towerhobbies comes with all of the mounting hardware.

( Frost I know you are viewing this topic, hit refresh )
Old 04-19-2005, 06:53 PM
usernametaken

thanks frost that is what i wanted to know i wanted to give this a go seems to be everyone is happy with ofna tank swap out . I would rather have 125cc of good running time then 160cc of not so good running time.
i wanted to buy new era kit but sav central out of stock for ages it seems and to buy from newera internationally seems to be a bit of pita. so i prefer tower and will just make my own mounts
if your going to post some pics of your mounts to see what you have done that would be great.
thanks.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: Rep99099

Frost, I noticed that the tank you gave the URL to at towerhobbies is only $9.99. And at New Era it is $27.
Does the tank at towerhobbies come with the bracket and mounting posts like the one from NewEra does? Are they the exact same?

I splattered my New Era tank into pieces and was just going to get a stock HPI tank, but maybe I will get two New Era tanks for both my savvys.
That is, if the one from towerhobbies comes with all of the mounting hardware.

( Frost I know you are viewing this topic, hit refresh )
HA, we wish... The New Era tank is expensive because it comes with the ccustom mount that they make. The tank they use happens to be the same tank that is used in the Ofna Ultra. The one from Tower is just the tank, to be clear.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Rep99099

But, that ofna tank is the same as the new era tank? Without the accessories?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:46 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Look at Frost post with the link to Towers with the tank. Near the top right hand corner is the manufactures part number 30280. That is one of the many things I like about towers web site is in there listings they have the manufactures part number and not just there part number.

Sorry post keep passing each other and edited before I get my post in. O well!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Rep99099

Hehe, I saw it and edited my post

If you were to get just the tank at towerhobbies, you could get these here correct?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHSX8&P=7

And fabricate your own mounting plate?
With the fuel tank guard I was using I drilled 2 holes in it and mounting the tank to the guard.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 PM
joes75

Can one of you guys post a pic of how the ofna tank is mounted? I bought the new era tank with mount about a month ago and it came with a ton of small parts and really havent had the time to see how it gets mounted. I would appreciate it. Frost, those are the exact symptoms I have been having with the stock tank, I have tried filling it only have way and tuning it from there. It helped a little but I really want to try this tank out ASAP.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Rep99099

It's quite simple actually.
There is a mounting bracket that screws to the chassis and two mounting posts that screw to the tank, then you screw the tank onto the rbacket using the mounting posts.

I found that it was quite hard to re-fuel the tank when the body was on though.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Frost_

Old 04-20-2005, 12:00 AM
joes75

Thanks a million Frost, those pics will come in handy when I set it up..[sm=thumbup.gif]

Wow, I feel dumb, I just put the parts together in a matter of 5 mins...[8D]
Old 04-20-2005, 12:06 AM
usernametaken

thanks for the pics frost nice job....looks easy enough have ordered my tank from tower so hope to sort this out soon...give you an update once its sorted out, last weekend tried racing savage and inconsistent running drove me up the wall hell i even came 4th overall against truggie style revos and a losi...love the savage hope this mod lets me enjoy it a whole lot more.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Frost_

No probs, glad to help.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:27 AM
I Eat Glue

Wow, thanks frost. I didn't really notice the problem at first but now you got me thinking about it and when I ran it again I could totaly see it. I'll be getting my replacement soon.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Frost_

It's been a headache with all of the trucks... You'd think with all of the Savage 'revisions' that took into account things that we did to our trucks (servo-saver, 4-spider gears, etc) that are now standard they'd replace that cursed tank that has been there since day 1. I used to (as mentioned by another poster) just fill my tank half-way (which isn't actually half, since it has that 'shelf') and run from there.

Cool nick BTW.

-EDIT- This is what is in my pics, tank, guard, and all: http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=1704
Old 04-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Starcraft-IX

All hail the Ofna tank mod - I put mine on and the problem went away.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Rep99099

ORIGINAL: usernametaken

thanks for the pics frost nice job....looks easy enough have ordered my tank from tower so hope to sort this out soon...give you an update once its sorted out, last weekend tried racing savage and inconsistent running drove me up the wall hell i even came 4th overall against truggie style revos and a losi...love the savage hope this mod lets me enjoy it a whole lot more.
How do you plan on moutning the tank to the chassis? Fabricating your own bracket?
Being as the unit from towerhobbies is only the tank and does not come with the mounting posts or the mounting bracket.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:03 PM
usernametaken

yes just going to make my own bracket probably similar style to frost or i may see if i can make something that incorporates a protector as well see how it goes but prefer something simple for now

ORIGINAL: Rep99099

ORIGINAL: usernametaken

How do you plan on moutning the tank to the chassis? Fabricating your own bracket?
Being as the unit from towerhobbies is only the tank and does not come with the mounting posts or the mounting bracket.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Rep99099

I will probably do the same. Did you get the mounting posts for the tank? I believe you can buy them for like $4.

I think these are them.
http://www.southeastrc.com/item/OFN30287

Old 04-20-2005, 08:39 PM
I Eat Glue

Hey, Could I use the tank that came on my Nitro RC10GT?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:48 PM
chelopr

rc10gt=75cc, ofna tank=125cc, savage 160cc, Ithink rc10gt tank is not a good idea only if you want 3 minutes running time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.