Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

duel tank mod bits ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 12:58 PM
foxman500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duel tank mod bits ?

any one know where i can get duel tank from and the bits for my savage in the uk???
thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 01:39 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: duel tank mod bits ?

I cannot offer UK sources, but I can offer advice on going dual tank.

Use seperate pressure feeds for each tank, makes for better fuel flow over just tee'ing off one outlet and sending it to both tanks, but it does require adding a second nipple to your pipe.

Use a tee to feed the fuel out lines from both tanks into a single fuel filter.

You may find that one tank tends to feed fuel into the other casuing one to empty much faster than the other. To fix this, you can add one-way valves to each fuel out line just before the tee to prevent backflow.

If you still have uneven draining problems, try coiling the fuel line on the faster draining tank, or if the difference is drastic you can add another filter to the faster draining one to slow the flow down a bit.

Also, keep in mind that you will lean the engine out if either tank drains. Once a tank drains you will immediately begin forcing air into the fuel system. This is why it is important to get the tanks draining at even speeds. Otherwise you will find yourself having to keep refilling one tank all of the time, and the whole poitn of going with dual tanks is so you don't have to refuel as often.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I Eat Glue

why?...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

I cannot offer UK sources, but I can offer advice on going dual tank.

Use seperate pressure feeds for each tank, makes for better fuel flow over just tee'ing off one outlet and sending it to both tanks, but it does require adding a second nipple to your pipe.

Use a tee to feed the fuel out lines from both tanks into a single fuel filter.

You may find that one tank tends to feed fuel into the other casuing one to empty much faster than the other. To fix this, you can add one-way valves to each fuel out line just before the tee to prevent backflow.

If you still have uneven draining problems, try coiling the fuel line on the faster draining tank, or if the difference is drastic you can add another filter to the faster draining one to slow the flow down a bit.

Also, keep in mind that you will lean the engine out if either tank drains. Once a tank drains you will immediately begin forcing air into the fuel system. This is why it is important to get the tanks draining at even speeds. Otherwise you will find yourself having to keep refilling one tank all of the time, and the whole poitn of going with dual tanks is so you don't have to refuel as often.
What on earth are you talking about?

....and "the whole point of going with dual tanks" has nothing to do with refuel times, and everything to do with consistent tuning. This mod did not fix my truck's half-tank leaning, but it has fixed other's, so there must be something to it. Perhaps it works better with a dual chambered pipe. I ran (ran) the ribbed pipe at the time, and it doesn't provide much pressure to the fuel system.

Anyway, all you need is a 2oz header tank like the one Hayes makes and fuel line. The tank is like 3$ US. Since that nightmare of plumbing was written up I'll clarify for anyone reading:

The output (fuel out) line from your stock tank goes to the pressure (input) inlet in the 2oz tank. The output from the 2oz tank goes to the carb. The pressure line stays on stock spot from tank to pipe. When you use it, try to shut down the truck with the 2oz tank FULL until the end of the day/last tank. The header tank has to be filled and stay full to help keep things consistent.

The truck does keep running upside down without leaning out or dying. For some, it's worth it for this alone.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:41 PM
tommythecat

I apologize if I offended you with my post. I was posting from my experience. And in my particular case, I was looking for longer times between refuelings, not consistent tuning. I was explaining the best setup I've found for running equal size dual tanks. I guess I misunderstood the question in the original post, sorry.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

I apologize if I offended you with my post. I was posting from my experience. And in my particular case, I was looking for longer times between refuelings, not consistent tuning. I was explaining the best setup I've found for running equal size dual tanks. I guess I misunderstood the question in the original post, sorry.
Why would I be offended? So you are saying that you run TWO Savage tanks? The reason the two tank mod was created was the dreaded half-tank leaning. I'd trade 10 minutes of consistent running that is easily tuned to peak for the duration for 20+ minutes of the alternative. I've never heard of 2 tanks on a Savage other than this mod EXCEPT trucks with 2 eninges.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 AM
tommythecat

I apologized because you took such a condesending and insulting tone in your first post, so I just assumed that something I said must have set you off. No I do not even own a savage. I run dual tanks on my t-maxx, and was just trying to share some info I had picked up while setting up dual tanks on my t-maxx. When I went dual tanks I was looking for longer run times along with more consistent fuel delivery. I run 2 - 125 cc tanks. Runnig the 2 tanks in parrallel has upped my between fueling times to 25-30 minutes depending on the tune, and I can drain both tanks to empty without leaning ou. At first I tried connecting them in a series as you describe, but found that once the first tank in the series went empty it would lean out. I then decided to plumb the tanks in parrallel, which worked fine except for uneven draining. I was just trying to share a couple of solutions I found to problems that occured while running 2 identical sized tanks in a parrallel configuration. If the original poster was looking for info on runnning a second tiny tank in a series, then I guess the info I provided is worthless to him, but I was only trying to share a bit of info.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Frost_

Sorry to sound condescending, but there is alot of disinfo here where it shouldn't be (not your post, the board in general) and it does get under my skin.

Here's something for you Traxxas guys to hate on the Savage about... The stock tank is a FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE. It's true, it's big... 165cc. But it has this 'shelf' (the tank looks like an inverted and backwards L) in it that makes it run VERY rich at the beginning of the tank and lean out as it drains. I know this happens to some extent with most big tanks, but it makes the Savage impossible to drive without 1. retuning in the middle of the tank, 2. Only filling the tank to the half-point (which is less than half, cuz the top portion is huge) or 3. living with it too rich to move when full, and borderline too screaming lean by the end of the tank.

The 2-tank setup helped, but didn't fix my issues. I went with the Ofna 125cc tank that New Era sells along with their own custom mount. Now I get crisp tuning from beginning to end.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
tommythecat

It's all good. My original post was a bit confusing. I guess if I'm going to bother posting, I should take the time to explain things thoroughly.

It might also help if I read through the forums to get a grip on common issues before spouting my nonsense, assuming that the issues are the same from one truck tot he next. Sorry I took your post the wrong way. I've been touchy lately. Newborn baby=sleep deprivation=grumpy old man.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:55 PM
chelopr

Frost:

Which is the diference in dual tank mod and ofna tank, Right now I will do one of this two mods, but I want to know which is better. And another think is how do you fill the header tank. Or It's a good idea if do the dual tank with the ofna tank.

thanks
Old 04-22-2005, 03:23 AM
Frost_

The Ofna tank replaces the stock tank... you don't add it to the stock tank. To fill the header tank you have to blow through the pressure line on the main tank to push the fuel through.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:08 AM
I Eat Glue

Lol. War of the Gods.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:20 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

any pics?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
ntloser

Don't mean to hijack but if the problem with the half tank lean has to do with the shape of the tank, isnt there an after market tank we can use? Or is the tank shape irrelivent.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 AM
savvy-racer

the header tank doesn't work for me either, but the uniflow helped alittle. you should try that.