Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

weird thing happened today.....

Old 04-21-2005, 04:25 PM
HPIracer4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird thing happened today.....

so yes i got my savage back together and running.......got the stripped screw out...(drilled it out).......and dual disk brake setup on........welll im drivin it..........and i floored it.......2nd came in.....then i held it and it got alil faster (u can hear it wasnt done lol) and all of a suden in like swerved kinda and i hit the brakes slowly and turned it and it flipped.........then i flipped it back over.......and when i floor it.......it bogs down now....and i have to let off and let it catch itself........and then when i get it into 2nd it bogs down again......and after a few times of dying it was runnin and died and wont start back up....compression is fine......check for air in the line (blowin in it.....yes it was off the carb lol) and ya so im thinkin its the glow plug??? help me thanks!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:08 PM
HPIracer4

Default RE: weird thing happened today.....

ok well i richened it and it stopped boggin down for the most part, still alil lag though before it kicks in......but now after i floor it and then slow it down.......it starts reving and then idles again and it just died and now it wont start again err.....the temps were like 280F......straight in the head....so ya.......help!!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

It just needs to be tuned up....
Old 04-21-2005, 06:24 PM
ntloser

Yes the dreaded tune up. I still can't do one yet.
I think they need an engine that is computer controlled and could be "programmed" through a PC.
Just enter the fuel and, glow plug you are using along with the outside temp and humidy. Then click next and put in the gearing ratio and set the shift point. Then click save... disconnect engine from USB port and you are good to go.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:31 PM
HPIracer4

ok so how do i go about gettin this runnin right???
Old 04-21-2005, 07:57 PM
ntloser

HPI Racer,

I have been debating about wether or not to try to help because I am very new and needed help getting mine tuned up. You may want to wait and ge3t a 2nd opinion. Assuming that nothing has been physically damaged and the throttle linkage is all good, If this happened to me, I would set all the needles to factory then tune from there. Start with the HSN first. Then LSN and idle. Here is a link on tuning. http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_tunengine_01.asp
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 PM
HPIracer4

ok but i richened it out and it seems to b runnin fine now......just kinda laggin a bit in response like to kick in (my servo reacts fine) but ya i still gett alil rev after i floor it and it tends to jump kinda............do i have a hold in my fuel line or fuel tank?? help!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Here is a quote from a thread I wrote on LSN tuning awhile back (so I don't have to re-type):

ORIGINAL: Frost_

TUNING 101

There is NO HARM in running the the S25 up to 270F or a bit higher as long as it isn't lean (stuttering/lean-bogging).... They guys on another forum have been performance tuning vs. temperature tuning with interesting results. Their engines are running as long as those who were obesessing over lower temperatures, all the while the performance tuned engines were SCREAMING. Did you know that even with 16/49 gearing the stock S25 can be made to wheelie at will AND give good pull to top end? It can while at 270-280 or so and still provide longevity.

Tune for performance, forget the gimmicks, go with what works.

If you are already getting good top end and you are running at 250F or so and not lean, (if you haven't bought a 20 dollar temp-taker DO IT) here is what to do to get SNAPPY response, this is what pulls wheels and gives you that GREAT take-off:

1. Since off the line "snap" can be given or taken away by being lean OR rich on the LSN the first move is a guess (well it won't be after you get a feel for it, but this will get you going quickly)...

2. Pull the truck up in front of you and let it idle for 8 seconds. Then pull the trigger to WOT... Did it scream and take off? If no:

3. You have to go one way or the other... choose richer or leaner (suprisingly to many beginners, off the line stutters can be caused by too lean conditions just as easily as too rich) and turn the LSN in that direction 1/16th of a turn. Make a short pass at medium to high throttle and return the truck to in front of you.

4. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor the throttle. Did it take off better or worse? If better, turn it a 1/16 in the same direction, if it got worse, turn it 1/8th the OPPOSITE way. Either direction you started in, now you will be going one way based on whether it got better or not... either richer or leaner.

5. Make another short pass at medium to full throttle (AFTER you made the change to the LSN) and return the truck to you. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor it. Is it still getting better? If so, continue to lean or richen using the pass/idle 8 seconds method until you lose preformance and back up a step...

If your temps are in range this is how to quickly get your truck to "explode" off of the line... Always make the pass to clear out the engine and then let it idle 8 seconds. The idling will allow it to either lean out or load up, depending on which way the current settings are off... Get the hang of this and your truck can really take off. If you end up leaning the LSN out excessively make sure to keep an eye on temps, your top end needle may need a bit of enrichment.

For some reason even in the mags when they tell you how to tune they have you pinching the fuel line and timing the result to "set" your LSN. No doubt this is a good way to get in the ballpark, but it is FAR from precise.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:14 PM
HPIracer4

wheres low speed needle?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

HSN=on the stack where the fuel line goes in.
LSN (Low Speed Needle)= On the end of the carb slide.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:49 PM
HPIracer4

picture??? im kinda lost lol
Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Nitronutt

Here:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49455.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	261202  
Old 04-22-2005, 12:11 PM
HPIracer4

ok thanks i didnt kno which one (between the lsn and the idle) so i just mess with the lsn then????
Old 04-22-2005, 12:44 PM
HPIracer4

is it possible to get a 21 to wheelie with stock gearing???
Old 04-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Nitronutt

Sometimes, when you adjust the LSN, you may also need to adjust the idle speed screw. The HSN needs to be set before the LSN. Get the HSN tuned for max RPM first, then work on the LSN.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Nitronutt

What is the stock gearing for a 21? 15/49? I doubt it (Unless it is a high power .21 - not stock - engine - Some 21's put out more than 2.5hp - Like one of the Collari .21's). I'm not saying that it isn't possible, and it could happen now and again, but it would probably be with very little regularity.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:08 PM
HPIracer4

ok cuz im not too good with gearing other wise id change it.....it would be sweet to wheelie on command
Old 04-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Nitronutt

ORIGINAL: HPIracer4

...it would be sweet to wheelie on command
With 18/47, my SH does!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
HPIracer4

ya but i have stock motor :-( but eh its all good
Old 04-22-2005, 03:14 PM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

i got 14/52 and i can wheelie but... i got the .25
Old 04-22-2005, 05:20 PM
ntloser

The Collari .30 will be able to address the wheelie problem.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:10 PM
I Eat Glue

Great information guys. Too many threads on tunning (one of wich was mine as a noob). Thanks for that Frost and Nitro Nut.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:13 PM
I Eat Glue

[/quote]

With 18/47, my SH does!
[/quote]

Sorry off topic, but what kind of top end do you get with that engine? And will it really wheelie on command? Just curious, getting mine in two weeks.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Nitronutt

I am sure that it is not as potent as the Collari as far as peak RPM, but I'll bet that it revs higher than the stock 25. Running the gearing that I am (18/47), the peak speed borders on uncontrollable - even with my Bowties and the dual disk brake. I'll bet it runs every bit of 45mph (no way to check it for sure). It flies through grass and eats asphalt for breakfast.

Yes...on command! 95% of the time when I pull the throttle with authority, I have to let off so that I don't flip over. I have learned to roll on the throttle so as to not wheelie every time.