Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

clutch springs snapping??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 10:53 AM
foxman500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch springs snapping??

any body know why my clutch springs keep snaping? 2 snapped in 2 weeks i am using the silver spring with alloy shoes on a sh.28 for my savage would i have better luck with the black springs???
Old 04-24-2005, 11:58 AM
RabidRacer

Default RE: clutch springs snapping??

shur your installing them right?

if you go to thicker springs you will be wheelying alot more.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

As far as your springs, I put the stock 1.0 mm black ones on. Some people like higher engagement, so they use the 1.1mm ones. Unless they are not the proper size for your clutch shoes, etc., the thickness shouldn't have any effect on them breaking. Maybe they are made of a poor metal/defective? Is your clutch bell discolored from overheating?

Like rabidracer said, are they installed correctly (Tail in the groove on the flywheel nut) with the cltuch shoes in the correct direction (not backwards?)

ORIGINAL: RabidRacer

if you go to thicker springs you will be wheelying alot more.
Not necessarily - Heavier springs delay engagement (Which can put engagement more into the power band) but will not necessarily cause more wheelies than an earlier engagement. Technically, the lighter springs will let the shoes hold the CB a bit tighter.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:34 PM
RabidRacer

i use lighter shoes where i need more off the line power and heaver springs. works for as long as i have done it.

also see if the springs go beyond the shoe or is right by it. the aluminum shoes could be causeing more heat on the spring and making it become weak and snap.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 PM
savagexpress

what is wrong when your clutch bell is discolored from overheating
Old 04-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Nitronutt

Your clutch is getting too hot and distempering the steel. This is a sign of too much slippage for whatever reason. Too much drag (maybe from the brakes dragging) or improper clutch settings could be the culprit. One broken spring might cause one shoe to always drag and you may have a broken spring like foxman.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Starcraft-IX

Is your flywheel slipping on the crankshaft? I had a loose flywheel and it wore down the clutch springs very quickly so that they ended up breaking. Look to see if there are any brass shavings around the engine to see if the flywheel is loose
Old 04-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Nitronutt

Brass shavings/dust around the engine are usually a result of the stock brass bushing being eaten by the stock CB retainer screw. But do check the flywheel tightness...it is very important.