Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Girl in Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 PM
dido

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girl in Trouble

I seem to be havving some trouble with my HPI Savage the one way bearing keeps slipping I have gone through two and have only ran it twice. I need help
Old 04-27-2005, 08:00 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Girl in Trouble

Is the truck new or used? Are the bearings bad or just getting to much fuel on them making them slip? What type of Savage is it? Is it pull start or Roto?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:22 PM
dido

Sorry about that, it's a savage ss with a ofna 26. The engine is new but broken in.
i have taken the engine out three times now to check the problem,there is'nt any extra oil on the bearing,it just does'nt seem to grab.
The first time I noticed this was after the engine had died and I went to restart it(rotostart)
Nothing, so I took it home to inspect and dismantle(again)before taking the truck apart for the forth time I tried the rotostart again...it worked.So today I went to try starting it and nothing,I tried to turn the flywheel to variuos positions to see if this would help but it did not.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:36 PM
azcoco
My Feedback: (1)

sounds like the shaft that goes in the one way might be trash try changing both the shaft and the bearing
Old 04-27-2005, 08:46 PM
dido

the shaft seems to be ok, I just found that the bearing is cracked,Should I be oiling these things or will that effect the turning over of the engine
Old 04-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Richie-EB4

No oil.........the Ofna oneway is internal and gets its oil from the fuel..........try to just press the rotostart button for 2-3seconds as these are very hard on the bearings..........you could also try and loosen the glow plug just to give it a better chance to turn the engine over with a little less pressure.

Good Luck
Old 04-27-2005, 09:32 PM
46u

This is why I like my pull starters. I sure here more problems with Roto starters then I do pull starters!

R/C products makes grease that is listed as one way bearing grease. Towers sells or use to sell it.

Is the one way bearing made by Ofna or Roto starter or who ever makes them? I think Rotor starter is made by Hot Bodies but since I do not have or want one I am not sure.

I think you said that one of the one-way bearings cracked how about the other one. Do you have a pull starter for this engine? If so try it and see what happens?

Keep us posted and I will think on it more.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:14 PM
dido

The bearing is an hpi model,so is the roto start one bearing was cracked and the other just won't turn the engine over.It just slips.This bearing works in my ofna buggy with the same engine.
As for being internal and getting lube from the fuel? would'nt that create an air leak if the roto start(plastic plate) is'nt sealed??
Old 04-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Usually, you can cure slipping by spraying a bit of carb cleaner on and through the bearing when you remove it. Also, fuels with a high oil content (14-18%) tend to increase slipping. Chances are that with the cracked bearing, the rotostarter was used when the engine was flooded and this put too much stress on the bearing and cracks it.

There isn't an air leak because the shaft that goes through the back plate is machined to such tight tolerances. As it gets overworn, it make leak. Hopefully by that time, you will need to replace or rebuild the engine anyway.

You really can't seal the plastic rotostart plate. There needs to be too much clearance between the plastic housing and the gears to effectively seal it.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:38 PM
46u

If I am not mistaken Hot Bodies makes HPI Roto starter. Correct me if I am wrong. If the bearing works in one engine and not in the other I would say it has to be the shaft. Do you have any way to MIC it? Are you using all the same starter parts on each engine or just the bearing? Do you have a pull starter you could put on it to see if that works? Where the starter shaft comes throw the backing plate there is not a seal so some fuel, which has oil in it gets in the starter compartment. The fuel and oil does help to seal it there. I have 3 HPI trucks but none with Roto starter. Sorry but so far I have never had a problem with any of my pull starters. Keep us posted on what is going on with it. [8D]
Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 PM
racer man05

rofl, try putting the one way bearing on the opther way, maybe u have it backwards....
Old 05-26-2005, 11:02 PM
dmcblaster

Is this the hpi roto start on a ofna engine?? I know the ofna picco 27 one way bearing is inside the engine like stated above. Im sure your engine is the same way... Its actually inside the engine (you have to take off the metal backplate to get to it) right? So basically when you take off the roto start back plate (plastic) you should see something that looks like a bolt head...If you have the hpi roto start backplate on there what its doing is the shaft (bolt head looking thing) is backing out of the engine because theres extra space in the roto start back plate...its ment for a one way bearing and its twice as thick as the shaft. What ya need to do is put some spacers in the back plate so the shaft can not move back. If you have another brand roto start then i dunno. Or like racer man said...u sure u dont have it in there backwards?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:22 PM
ScMc

ORIGINAL: dido

I seem to be havving some trouble with my HPI Savage.
maybe it's because you're an idiot [&:]
Old 05-27-2005, 03:41 PM
speedfreak1234

If you can show us some pictures it would be a great help.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:08 PM
speedfreak1234

Actually never mind ive just read your "savage sucks" post and i dont feel inclined to help out
Old 05-27-2005, 04:45 PM
ScMc

ORIGINAL: speedfreak1234

Actually never mind ive just read your "savage sucks" post and i dont feel inclined to help out
Note my "Maybe it's because you're an idiot" response.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:10 PM
46u

Since you do not like the Savage I suggest you sell it.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
stanmart

Savage is great. Rotostart Sucks badly.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:55 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: stanmart

Two words PULL STARTER.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:09 PM
FE_Chris

What about just using a drill to start the roto-start like me? works great! drill runs forever too...
Old 09-13-2005, 05:59 PM
stanmart

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

What about just using a drill to start the roto-start like me? works great! drill runs forever too...
Im wanting to get a drill. I just dont know which to get. I want a cheap one that will work.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:01 PM
stanmart

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: stanmart

Two words PULL STARTER.
hehe. I tried getting a pull starter today for my collari but my LHS doesnt carry them and they say the reason is they break way too much.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:04 PM
FE_Chris

GET A DRILL!!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:31 PM
R/C OVERLOAD

ARE YOU SAYING TO PUt the drill directly onto the crankshaft??????????????????????????
Old 09-13-2005, 07:42 PM
46u

Drills work well until you hydro lock it and bend a rod or something. [&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.