Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

3 Clutch Shim Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 PM
treees

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Clutch Shim Question

Ok, I have a new SH28 I have the 3 shoe clutch and brakes and the OFNA shim kit. Which shims do I use, how many, and do they go behind the flywheel?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 3 Clutch Shim Question

NO! Not behind the flywheel! If your collet puts the flywheel too close to the engine case (The flywheel rubs), then use the collet from your S-25. Mount the flywheel and flywheel nut. Then install your clutch. Pay special attention to clutch shoe direction. Then add 1 washer, then the bearing, clutchbell, and another bearing. Then you use the shims to build out to the end so that when the end screw is tight, you can spin the Clutch bell freely, but at the same time, have very little front to back play in the clutch bell.

Your goal with the shims is to reduce slop. You decide which ones and how many to achieve the result as stated above.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:01 PM
treees

My bad, I thought the shims were to help easy mesh. Thanks for the help... Sorry for the ignorance. These trucks are all new to me. Been flying planes for over 30 years.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: treees

My bad, I thought the shims were to help easy mesh. Thanks for the help... Sorry for the ignorance. These trucks are all new to me. Been flying planes for over 30 years.
Don't ever feel bad. The only ignorant question is the one not asked.

I used the Collet from my S-25 (Stock 25) motor because the SH one made my stock (3 shoe) flywheel rub on the engine. Other than 1 washer between the CB bearings and the flywheel nut (Be sure to tighten the flywheel nut as much as possible), nothing else is needed for perfect CB to Spur alignment with the SH. Like I said, the shims take up the space from in front of the CB to the end of the shaft. Just remember that the CB has to spin freely when the end screw is tight.