Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

SH 28, YEAH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 09:39 AM
I Eat Glue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SH 28, YEAH!!!

Leaving to get my SH 28 in two hours! YES. So, i was wondering if you guys recomend the breakin proccess that comes whith it or if you've found one that works better and extends engine life? And finally how much fuel I need (only have 1/2 gallon right now)?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:56 AM
rcdude101

Default RE: SH 28, YEAH!!!

just run it real richfor a good 5 tanks u should be fine... after 4-5tanks start to run leaner
Old 04-30-2005, 10:31 AM
I Eat Glue

Ok, thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:39 AM
rcdude101

np i have one of these motors and there awesome hope u have fun
Old 04-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I Eat Glue

I'll tell you how it goes once its broken in. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:14 PM
skeester

Remember to loosen the glow plug when you start it. Mine took over 10 tanks before the piston/sleeve broke in enough to allow pull starting with the plug fully tightened. The engine turns over pretty hard when new and i would hate to see you break your pull starter.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:34 PM
I Eat Glue

Yes!!! I got my SH!!! I'm currently on my 5th heat cycle, and I can tell this thing already has more power than the .25! Once I get it tunned in it will be screaming! One question though, with the car off, when i hold the throttle the servo won't open the carb all the way (its got like 1/8 of an inch left to full). Whats a free way to fix this? Should I just unscrew the throttle arm a little? Thanks, god I LOVE this engine, even the way it sounds!
Old 05-01-2005, 04:00 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

hows that heat cycle method ..is it effective i always wanted to try this but i might mess up the engine
Old 05-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I Eat Glue

It seems to be just fine. I have to lean it a little more each time. It's also easier to do than to sit out there for like 20 minutes at a time under the hot sun. Lol, with my .25 I had a chair with an umbrella over me and a little drink at my side. Sat out there for like 3 and a half hours or so, I like this much better. I'ts also not as borring. I'm not sure though perfomance wise which one is better, though it seems that the heat cycle will wear down the sleave faster. If the manuel says to do it one way I don't recomend doing the other.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

No, idling will DEFINITELY cause more wear than heat cycling during breakin.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:03 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i alwasy do the traditional 3 tanks idle then run in circles for how many tanks..and it s ok i just wanna try the heat cycling ..how does it go anyway?
u start the engine then run right away?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

On your linkage issue, see my old thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2743608

ORIGINAL: badboy2

i alwasy do the traditional 3 tanks idle then run in circles for how many tanks..and it s ok i just wanna try the heat cycling ..how does it go anyway?
u start the engine then run right away?
Yup. Start and run right away. Half throttle, 1-3 seconds at a time for 2 minutes. Then shut down for 10 minutes. Repeat until you have 45 minutes of runtime on the engine.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Has any one heard of a bad batch of the SH .28? Was reading this and was just wondering.
http://forum.hpi-europe.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=1

[8D]
Old 05-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Nitronutt

ORIGINAL: 46u

Has any one heard of a bad batch of the SH .28? Was reading this and was just wondering.

[8D]
STUPID RUMORS!!!!

I can't tell you how many times I have seen that same picture!!! THE SH IS A GOOD ENGINE. ANY ENGINE WILL HAVE A FEW BAD APPLES (or owners that abuse them) AND THE SH IS NO DIFFERENT!

Notice, too that it is over in Europe. That thread and that photo have taken on a life of their own!

That is probably kept going by the Wasp, Diablo and Picco owners that think their stuff doesn't stink (When they paid more than the SH and can't tune them)
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 AM
I Eat Glue

I've heard of the con rod thing happening but supposedly its just a batch of them, mines under warranty so I'm good. Oh, I finished breaking in it. This thing is insane! I still have to fine tune a little. But holy crap I went WOT for the first time from a standstill and the thing almost did a FULL BACK FLIP!!! [X(]. I haven't really tested top speed yet but I'll do that later today. I was having alot of trouble getting it to start but found out my plug igniter was dead. Tried a new one and it started on the first pull (after priming, also one pull). This engine is great and I like the way it sounds. Next weekends upgrades = ribbed aluminum pipe, air filter, hump pack, MG steering servo, and a fail safe (with this much power I should probably have one).

(forgot to spell check)
Old 05-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Nitronutt

It does have nice power for the savage. The ribbed pipe really is the best pipe for this engine. I've tried the HPI plastic, HPI Polished and the ribbed. The ribbed eats the other 2 alive! Way more torque and top end!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:03 AM
46u

Do you think the SH .28 is better then the Collari .30? Which is easier to tune? Has any one seen reports on dyno test on both these motors? [8D]
Old 05-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I Eat Glue

Ok, the pipe will be top priority, and the air filter seeing as I still have the stock. A guy down the block replaced his stock air filter on his Revo and the thing gained like 5 to 10 mph top end with a lot more torque. Both of these together will make an already amazing engine godly. I also need a failsafe as the spring wasn't allowing my servo to pull the carb all the way open (about 3/4 the way). Oh, I also need a wheelie bar or some thing to protect my engine like some zip ties. Well, all will come in due time. Any other upgrades I should consider? Only ones that increase the performance though, not trying to make a shelf queen.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:10 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: Nitronutt

[8D]
STUPID RUMORS!!!!

I can't tell you how many times I have seen that same picture!!! THE SH IS A GOOD ENGINE. ANY ENGINE WILL HAVE A FEW BAD APPLES (or owners that abuse them) AND THE SH IS NO DIFFERENT!

Notice, too that it is over in Europe. That thread and that photo have taken on a life of their own!

That is probably kept going by the Wasp, Diablo and Picco owners that think their stuff doesn't stink (When they paid more than the SH and can't tune them)
Thanks that is why I asked.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:22 AM
:Green:

Id like to add something to the heat cycling method that hasnt been mentioned yet, it is a very good idea to make shure your piston is at BDC (bottom dead center) during the cool down period.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Nitronutt

ORIGINAL: Nitronutt

[8D]
STUPID RUMORS!!!!

Thanks that is why I asked.
Wow lotsa quotes.

Sorry, I thought you were throwing that in there for spite (And being sarcastic)!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Do you think the SH .28 is better then the Collari .30? Which is easier to tune? Has any one seen reports on dyno test on both these motors? [8D]
I have them both. The SH is a tad easier to tune, but the Collari is stronger on the bottom and the top. That .30 impresses me every time I run it, and I haven't done any cutting on it yet.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Savage-Norway

anybody running 25% what are your needle settings on the sh28. (if you are running other % please tell me too)
Old 05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I Eat Glue

Just so you know you can't exactly ask for needle settings seeing as even location and elevation can make a huge difference along with many other factors. If you still want to you should list your glow plug and what fuel you use and mabey even location, then you could at least get an estimate. JMO.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Nitronutt

ORIGINAL: Savage-Norway

anybody running 25% what are your needle settings on the sh28. (if you are running other % please tell me too)
A starting point is: HSN 3 turns, LSN flush and then in 1/2 turn. That should get you started. Tune the HSN for max RPM first, then the LSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.