Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

TRUCKZILLA KIT (no wheelie)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:38 AM
PARTS MAGNET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRUCKZILLA KIT (no wheelie)

Ive owned a 21 savage for a couple of years and love it but needed a little more power to keep up with the boys so i bought the truckzilla kit. I was told this thing would wheele on comand. Well.... The front tires stay planted pretty well, the motor is a little dissapointing. Is this normal? The clutch bell is stock. 17 I think? And I have a 52 spur. Ive run about 8 tanks through it. Any sugestions or coments would be greatly apreciated. Oh yeah slipper is tight and new. Im running pro line big joe tires on 40 series rims every thing is tight and the rear end has a spool.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:00 AM
cleffdawg

Default RE: TRUCKZILLA KIT (no wheelie)

I'm assuming you're running the 4.6 kit and not the twin engine setup. I'm not sure but i don't think you'll ever pick the front end off. If you got the whole kit, longer chassis, big tires, and that one engine you probably won't do it. First off, those tires are heavy. second, you made the chassis longer so the weight is further from the rear tires, and third, that engine ain't all it's cracked up to be. You'd of been further ahead just getting a picco .27, a sh .28 or a sirio 27. just my 2 cents
Old 05-02-2005, 08:10 AM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: PARTS MAGNET

Ive owned a 21 savage for a couple of years and love it but needed a little more power to keep up with the boys so i bought the truckzilla kit. I was told this thing would wheele on comand. Well.... The front tires stay planted pretty well, the motor is a little dissapointing. Is this normal? The clutch bell is stock. 17 I think? And I have a 52 spur. Ive run about 8 tanks through it. Any sugestions or coments would be greatly apreciated. Oh yeah slipper is tight and new. Im running pro line big joe tires on 40 series rims every thing is tight and the rear end has a spool.
...................Hey man your motor is not broken in yet. It takes a good 15 tanks for the motor to be completly broken in. My Truckzilla pulls wheelies with the 49 tooth spur all day. The Truckzilla is a basher not a racer.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cleffdawg

I'm assuming you're running the 4.6 kit and not the twin engine setup. I'm not sure but i don't think you'll ever pick the front end off. If you got the whole kit, longer chassis, big tires, and that one engine you probably won't do it. First off, those tires are heavy. second, you made the chassis longer so the weight is further from the rear tires, and third, that engine ain't all it's cracked up to be. You'd of been further ahead just getting a picco .27, a sh .28 or a sirio 27. just my 2 cents
This monster engine is not a 4.6cc (.28ci) it is a .46ci!

Even though the engine is typically problematic (The .46 is a reworked helicopter motor) and the RPM specs are low (23,000), it should still wheelie pretty well!

The longer chassis will aid in keeping the wheels down and make the truck more stable in flight. Break-in that engine! Also, if you don't already have it, get aluminum clutch shoes (Nova or Mugen) and put more of that power to the ground!

By the way, a buddy of mine has the twinzilla. He isn't impressed either.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Polar_Bus

Spend some more time running the engine. They say right in the instructions the .46 will run erratic and be hard to tune until you have at least 10 tanks of fuel through it. I am also currently breaking in a fresh 'Zilla, and it runs pretty crappy right now. Remember it's a .46 with a HUGE stroke, so the engine just doesnt rev like you are used to hearing, that's why it needs such a lengthly break-in process.
Rich
Old 05-02-2005, 11:54 AM
cleffdawg

you know, as many times as i've seen the ads in rc driver and online i've never taken notice to that fact it's a .46. I appologize for my confusion. Now I am more impressed and think i may get the kit.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Nitronutt

I would actually recommend against getting it. I hear the kits are poorly designed and the .46 is not very reliable (According to the guy at my LHS that has one). The heavy tires (especially the 7.7" ones on the twinzilla) kill handling and make for a bouncy ride.

If you really want bigger & Longer (but not faster), go with the truckzilla "sport" kit (7.0" fireball tires, dogbone & Chassis, but no motor) and get the biggest & hotest big block you can find. (Collari maybe?). This way, you may like the tires, and will almost definately like the chassis and Collari.

I tried the 7.7" fireball twinzilla tires with my SH. What a mistake! I ran them for 1 tank and then sold'em. It made the ride super bouncy. I had to give it 1/3 throttle before it would move (Again with the SH and a Nova AL clutch!). They nearly made my 190oz/in. servo useless. For the set of 4, they came in a whopping 6lbs! I sold them.

Just my $.02. Keep it in mind before thunking down $300.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:23 PM
PARTS MAGNET

Thanks guys. I have the .46 / 7.4cc i guess i was expecting a little much. I do not have the fire balls they seemed too heavy to me and would have poor off road grip. They are a tire that looks good on the shelf.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Polar_Bus

The kit tires definately create excessive drag on the front end. Its not the large diameter, its the excessive width of the kit tires that's the problem. Anyone commiting to a Truckzilla kit should understand you are throwing away all possibilities of handeling ( I am building my Truckzilla as a simple backyard low speed, giga-torque go over anything truck. I read FAR too many posts dumping on the Truckzilla because its unreliable and not a fast truck. I have yet to read any credible facts as to exactly what the "unreliable" issues with the .46 are. If you bought a 'Zilla expecting to break the speed barrier, you wasted $275. (the .46 only revs to 22,000 rpm's) So far I am very happy with mine, and I am planning on modifying my Truckzilla flywheel to accept Ofna clutchbells to give some versatility with gearing changes. The stock 17T bell is a bit too high a ratio for what I want to do.
Rich
Old 05-03-2005, 02:17 AM
PARTS MAGNET

I agree I didnt buy this kit to race either I just wanted some monster torque for wheeling around the yard. The engine seems prety tunable and reliable. I would like to hear how you convert your clutch bell also.
Thanks Dan
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Polar_Bus

I agree I didnt buy this kit to race either I just wanted some monster torque for wheeling around the yard. The engine seems prety tunable and reliable. I would like to hear how you convert your clutch bell also.
Thanks Dan
The Truckzilla flywheel is about .090" larger in dia. than the normal HPI/Ofna/Associated clutchbell. I am going to remove the Truckzilla 3 clutch shoe pins, and re-drill the flywheel to match the Ofna flywheel.
Rich
Old 05-03-2005, 07:47 PM
nitroussavage

the sh.28 revs out at 28,000 rpms not that much over th .46
Old 05-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Nitronutt

ORIGINAL: nitroussavage

the sh.28 revs out at 28,000 rpms not that much over th .46
So it says...

My SH will out RPM my S-25 (Rated for 36,000 RPM) all day long. Even with changing the gearing to make both of the engines wind out to their max, the SH has a higher whine at the top

Secondly, I would not want less RPM than the SH can deliver. Using 18/47 gearing, I am near the max ratio that I can go without cutting/moving something.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of the 23k of the .46, but you can't gear it tall enough (On a Savage) to make up the 5k (on paper) or 12k rpm (more like real world) difference. If you could, it might be worth looking into.

Then there is the parts breaking issue - Collari users are breaking drivetrain parts with 3.5hp. Imagine 5hp!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:11 PM
nitroussavage

o sorry i didnt know but i still am gonna get an sh.28 any ways because i was just saying what i read.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Actually what you read was that it made peak horsepower at 28K, not that 28K was it's max RPM.