Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage runaways

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:05 PM
savage25gt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage runaways

does anyone know the reason why my dad's and my savage 25 rtr trucks are constantly having runaways?...we have put brand new batteries in controller and trucks, but still runs away.....could this have anything to do with the antenna wires being cut, because we have both flipped them and our rough driveway has cut the antenna wire...we soldered the pieces together and wrapped them in electrical tape, but just last sunday my dad's went off and nailed a railroad tie and tore the front right off...i was going to just replace the wires, but someone told me that if i make them shorter than they're suppose to be then it could happen still...and i don't know what the stock length is....can someone please throw some suggestions at me or anything to help...thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 01:15 PM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Savage runaways

Do you have fail safe units installed? Do you perform radio range checks? Could be glitching; a range check would diagnose it and a fail safe would safeguard against it.

-Jeff
Old 05-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Make sure that your throttle return spring is functioning properly (I rerouted mine - Search for SH Linkage by Nitronutt to see it).

Chances are that someone/something is on the same frequency and is overtaking your savage when it receives a weak signal from you.

My receiver antenna is about 1 foot short due to a rollover. I just left it short and can still get a good 300' of range with it (RTR radio & receiver).

If this is a common occurence, a $23 failsafe will indeed save your Savage.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:43 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Make sure your crystals are in tightly in both the receiver and TX. Failsafe is a good idea as well.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:09 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

I had a runaway into a curb at about 30mph... I broke an A-Arm and later figured out that it was my RX pack causing all the problems... there was a slight tear in the wire. Make sure to check all the wires on your battery, servos, and switch.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
savage25gt

yea, we don't have failsafes on them cause we're kinda short on money right now, and i want to solder a brand new wire onto the reciever, but it's only about a foot and a half long and a guy told me it would be a bad idea to shorten it that much.... we use AA's not a hump pack for truck batteries....we haven't checked the crystals, but it'd be wierd for both trucks to be doing that..and noone around us has an rc car(just a bunch of old folks or people who just don't even know anything about them)...i don't know, anyother ideas help..thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 12:43 PM
mach51

install new receiver wire, takes 10 mins tops to do it, open up the case on the receiver and you'll see where the wire goes. nothing to it. go to an electrical supply store and you can get like 25 feet of 24ga or 22ga stranded wire for $2 instead of buying "receiver wire" from your hobby shop
Old 05-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Vortec_Rat

When you do install the new reciever wire, try routing the antenna out the back window so it's somewhat horizontal. This will prevent it being torn off in a rollover. You can also do a search on antenna mods. There's a few guys who attach the antenna to a piece of lexan inside the body kind of zig zagged to save space. I heard that works well also. Spend the cash and get the failsafes. It will save you time and money in the long run. Even with my RX pack fully charged and my M8 radio, I still only get around 300 foot max range. Always do a radio check with both trucks running so you're sure you're free from interference and one truck isn't crossing over to glitch the other.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:09 PM
doggscube

With my extra antenna wire I wrapped it around part of a Bic pen casing, taking care not to overlap any loops, and then wrapped it up with electrical tape. Now there is no wire hanging out the top of the tube or anywhere outside the radio box.

The only reason I'm not worried about range (and truthfully it hasn't been affected) is that I have a failsafe.

-Jeff
Old 05-06-2005, 05:23 PM
BadMammaJammas

yeah A fail safe is the way to go becuase my brothers t-maxx ran away 5 times once into a feild and got stuck WOT and blew the motor and then it ran under my real car and broke 4 shocks front and back shock tower and motor mount gas tank and his radio.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:15 PM
mziadeh

Stock Ant. wire length is 38 inches. Be sure that you use 24 gauge wire and it must be stranded (why I don't know so don't ask).

Anyhow, I've lost about a foot off my ant wire and still going strong. Range? Don't know. I am running a fail safe and it did save me one day when a ***** decided to turn on his radio knowing full well that we were on the same channel [:@].
Old 05-06-2005, 08:21 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The reason it has to be stranded is it is flexible. If you use solid when it was bent back and forth it would break a WHOLE lot easier. [8D]
Old 05-06-2005, 09:28 PM
:Green:

My Hitec fm reciever wire is only 16", tubes only 12" Ive never had any problems.
Nothing replaces a failsafe, a must have for sure.