Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

collari 30 vs sh28

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 04:11 AM
hardtail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default collari 30 vs sh28

hi guys in your own mind if you have own both engines can you honestly say the performance of a collari is a lot better than a sh , as i own a sh and it ran like absolute mathem until 3 gallons later my crankshaft snapped and the dilemer i have is sorceing a new part as i am in the uk .do i either find a new part or save up for a collari and stick the broken engine on ebay for spares .i no frost has own both can you coment on both ..... cheers tim
Old 05-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: collari 30 vs sh28

I told you in your other thread to PM engine_nut about a crank.....

But the Collari IS stronger than the SH on the bottom and top end.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 PM
hardtail

quite new to this frost still trying to pm him and thankyou for helping
Old 05-08-2005, 05:40 PM
rustler 1

YA, BUT DOESNT THE COLLARI HAVE PROBLEMS WITH CARBS AND STUFF, MY FRIEND HAS HIS SAVAGE WITH A COLLARI AND 3 SPEEDE, WHILE I HAVE A SH 28 AND 2 SPEED AND I DRAG RACED HIM AND SMOKED HIM. SO I DONT THINK THAT THE COLLARI HOLDS UP TO THE SH28, YET IT DOES HAVE SOME BOTTOM END TORQUE (NOT SURE IF ITS BETTER THAN MY SH BUT ITS THERE, TOP END ITS GOT NOTHING TO COMPARE TO THE SH
Old 05-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Salty0790

ORIGINAL: rustler 1

YA, BUT DOESNT THE COLLARI HAVE PROBLEMS WITH CARBS AND STUFF, MY FRIEND HAS HIS SAVAGE WITH A COLLARI AND 3 SPEEDE, WHILE I HAVE A SH 28 AND 2 SPEED AND I DRAG RACED HIM AND SMOKED HIM. SO I DONT THINK THAT THE COLLARI HOLDS UP TO THE SH28, YET IT DOES HAVE SOME BOTTOM END TORQUE (NOT SURE IF ITS BETTER THAN MY SH BUT ITS THERE, TOP END ITS GOT NOTHING TO COMPARE TO THE SH
try not to write it capatil letters. it hurts people's eyes. [&:]

anyway, a lot of people have had problems with the connecting rod on the SH.28. so durability wise, the engine is crap. but, i have heard that it has tons of power while it lasts. to me, personally, i dont think its worth the cheap price for a week of driving (until the rod blows). i would go with the collari in this situation. it is more powerful (from what i hear) and overall, a better buy. in YOUR situation, i would sell the SH on eBay for spares (as you said) and use that money to save up for a collari, or any other engine you are looking to buy.

P.S. dont even PLAN on complaining to the company that makes the SH for a replacement or money. its been tried more than 10 times, and the company is taking the easy way out by saying "its user error". which it isnt. i hope this company goes out a business. stand up to your problems and fix them. if you dont, you will look like more of a retard than you do now (to SH)
Old 05-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Frost_

Man betwwen this and Salty... [&:]

Salty, for every one person you can find with a failed SH there are over 100 who have had no problems, and I am one of them. I have owned (and do own) LOTS of nitro engines and the SH28 will always be remembered fondly. I see you manage to post this at EVERY oppurtunity you get but your exaggeration lends itself directly to dishonesty.

rustler1, he didn't ask about you and your buddy's truck, he asked which engine is stronger. I have both, and my SH has been ported and polished and still will get stomped by the Col.30. Mybe your buddy can't tune, can't drive, can't-who-knows... Everyone likes to think what they have is best, but I'm sorry... Your obvious bias aside, I haven't had "problems with the carbs and stuff" or any other issues with it.

The Collari is hands-down stronger than the SH (even being worked) on the bottom and top-end. With gearing the same on both, I get 2.6-3.0 MPH more out of the Collari (and I get it alot quicker), and your stock SH won't do that well on the top.

Before everyone cries foul 'cause I didn't post the poorted SH results in a video, it hasn't been back in the Savage. While the Sav is being built up the way I choose, the SH and the Collari have been taking turns in an LX Pro buggy, and the speed taken with a Bushnell hand-held radar by Amsterdamn.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Bonksnp

First of all, ty Frost for all the info. I was hoping I would find a thread about the col. 30 vs the sh28 since Im planning on buying one or the other.

One question I do have. Since it's the popular opinion that the Collari 30 > SH28, isnt the Collari a bit harder to tune and/or break in?

Also, I have a stock Nitro Star S-25 with a roto start and was wondering if the roto start will fit on either and/or both engines?

Thanks for any info in advance.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: Bonksnp

First of all, ty Frost for all the info. I was hoping I would find a thread about the col. 30 vs the sh28 since Im planning on buying one or the other.

One question I do have. Since it's the popular opinion that the Collari 30 > SH28, isnt the Collari a bit harder to tune and/or break in?

Also, I have a stock Nitro Star S-25 with a roto start and was wondering if the roto start will fit on either and/or both engines?

Thanks for any info in advance.
Here is a little bit of reading, not necessarly in reguards to exactly what engine to purchase, but more importantly what negitive internet BS, NOT to listen to while trying to make your engine choice.

http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic39006.html

I personally am probably going to pull the trigger and buy an SH, I am on the fence as the the Picco .27, or the SH .28, but my current Picco .26 is a powerhouse, but a nightmare to tune the low speed circut, and the new Picco .27 is an 8 port (which are inherantly harder to tune). Good luck (I am sure you will like either engine you choose)
Rich
Old 05-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Bonksnp

lol, not to be a smartass, but isn't that a post on the internet about how to not listen to other posts on the internet?

Just messin with ya. Trust me, I do weeks of research before buying a stick of gum. So I'm not gonna just go out and buy the first engine someone says is good, and vice versa with bad engines. And really, I bet I'll be happy with either engine I get. I'm modding my savage to race, and I think either engine will do the job just fine.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:08 AM
Salty0790

ORIGINAL: Frost_

Man betwwen this and Salty... [&:]

Salty, for every one person you can find with a failed SH there are over 100 who have had no problems, and I am one of them. I have owned (and do own) LOTS of nitro engines and the SH28 will always be remembered fondly. I see you manage to post this at EVERY oppurtunity you get but your exaggeration lends itself directly to dishonesty.

rustler1, he didn't ask about you and your buddy's truck, he asked which engine is stronger. I have both, and my SH has been ported and polished and still will get stomped by the Col.30. Mybe your buddy can't tune, can't drive, can't-who-knows... Everyone likes to think what they have is best, but I'm sorry... Your obvious bias aside, I haven't had "problems with the carbs and stuff" or any other issues with it.

The Collari is hands-down stronger than the SH (even being worked) on the bottom and top-end. With gearing the same on both, I get 2.6-3.0 MPH more out of the Collari (and I get it alot quicker), and your stock SH won't do that well on the top.

Before everyone cries foul 'cause I didn't post the poorted SH results in a video, it hasn't been back in the Savage. While the Sav is being built up the way I choose, the SH and the Collari have been taking turns in an LX Pro buggy, and the speed taken with a Bushnell hand-held radar by Amsterdamn.
i understand what you're saying, completely. but, most of the problems happened with the new guys without much experience. and whoever asks about an SH.28 on this board will get a negative response from me. the engine is not for the new guys. think about it like this. there is a 50 foot long chasm and you need to pick a bridge to get over it. the SH.28 would be the skinny one, and the mach .26 (or other engines, this one is for example) would be the wide bridge. the guys who know what they are doing will take the skinny bridge and go for a bigger prize. the new guys will try, but will probably fail due to lack of experience. i dont have any experience with these things. i only heard a nitro engine run TWICE and thats my savage. im still doing break-in.

im not saying this engine isnt a great engine. im just saying that the people that are buying them are taking a risk with the con rods. they snap easily. and since so many new guys ask about this engine, i want to warn them about it. i hope this makes my point clearer.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Salty0790

plus, a lot of my good friends got these engines and all three of them snapped their con rods. i had to see them suffer through their problems through the internet. then, when they complain to the company for lack of quality, they get negative responses from the company saying that it was "user error" which we all know it was not.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Tony LST05

Well, I guess I'll never learn. I broke a rod and cracked my piston within a half gallon on my SH .28. I ordered the parts, which were on back order. Meanwhile, I ordered another SH .28 thinking I would have a back-up. My parts came in 4 weeks later (last Thursday) so I rebuilt the motor to keep as a back-up. Meanwhile, my new SH .28 had about 5 tanks through it and I was running it rich on my LST. Blop, it died on the 6th tank with the same problem. I'm going to get a Collari and keep the SH .28 as a back-up. I don't even want to use the SH .28 anymore because it's messed up my fun on 2 weekends. My good old Mach .26 keeps on ticking (4 gallons), even after the washer broke apart in it.

ps. Can someone tell me where I can order Collari .30 parts online? I'd like to have an extra one-way and pull-star or roto start back plate.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Frost_

You guys are killing me.... The SH28 is bad, but the Mach26 is good.... SH makes them BOTH. The performance features that are built-in are common to BOTH. Heck, since I have them both down, I'll mic the rods... there's a 1 in 3 chance that they are the SAME RODS. They are definitely the same alloy and design...

ORIGINAL: Salty0790

i understand what you're saying, completely. but, most of the problems happened with the new guys without much experience. and whoever asks about an SH.28 on this board will get a negative response from me. the engine is not for the new guys. think about it like this. there is a 50 foot long chasm and you need to pick a bridge to get over it. the SH.28 would be the skinny one, and the mach .26 (or other engines, this one is for example) would be the wide bridge. the guys who know what they are doing will take the skinny bridge and go for a bigger prize. the new guys will try, but will probably fail due to lack of experience. i dont have any experience with these things. i only heard a nitro engine run TWICE and thats my savage. im still doing break-in.

im not saying this engine isnt a great engine. im just saying that the people that are buying them are taking a risk with the con rods. they snap easily. and since so many new guys ask about this engine, i want to warn them about it. i hope this makes my point clearer.
1. So you freely admit to giving out information based on no first hand experience (you DON'T own one).
2. You haven't even finished breakin in your first mill but you're enough of a seasoned vet to tell someone what buy and what not to buy

Oh yeah, and your other post that I didn't quote... 3 friends got SH28s and they ALL BROKE? Here's the BS alarm people.... A convient story without merit to backup these posts which also contain none.

And again, as to your 'bridge' poser, the Mach is like the SH28's little brother, so if you don't think the SH28 is good for a noob then... They have the same crank journals (yes you can swap bearings), the same porting in the end of the crank, the same knife-edge on the rod, share carb parts, the same oiling holes, etc etc... I WOULD say it is a good beginner engine. It's easier to breakin and tune than that 25 any day. It holds it's tune better too.

Try this, it may not work for you, but it does for me.... if I have FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of a situation I will do the best I can to help, rather than talk out of my ass about something I know nothing of.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Tony LST05

[quote]ORIGINAL: Frost_

You guys are killing me.... The SH28 is bad, but the Mach26 is good.... SH makes them BOTH. The performance features that are built-in are common to BOTH. Heck, since I have them both down, I'll mic the rods... there's a 1 in 3 chance that they are the SAME RODS. They are definitely the same alloy and design...

I believe you are exactly right. My gutt tells me the Mach .26's power and design match up. However, I believe the SH .28 pushes the design to the limits with a greater failure rate. I have nothing to back it up except two Mach's and two SH's. The Machs have had issues, but everything survived.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

plus, a lot of my good friends got these engines and all three of them snapped their con rods. i had to see them suffer through their problems through the internet. then, when they complain to the company for lack of quality, they get negative responses from the company saying that it was "user error" which we all know it was not.
If this is even close to true, how did they break-in their engines?

If you are speaking from posts that you've read, I have only seen 1 post (Referenced in several others) that has really had this issue.

I used the factory method and have over 2 gallons on my SH with only sealing it. I have run 30% nitro from minute 1 after the break-in was finished.

Broken rod AND cracked piston??? Something else is definately wrong...and it ain't the engine's fault.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Polar_Bus

Also left out the small detail, as to the fact all three individuals broke in their SH's with "Uncle Wally's home brew 70% nitro, with 2% vegatable oil. I can certainly see why 3 SH's went snap, crackle, pop, BOOM!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Ovgron

Salty, your Friends broke 3 engines? How often do people blow up or break their engine? 1 out of every what..... 50,000 nitro engines blow up or break? You just so happen to know 3 guys, who all have the same engine, and all of them have broke their engines in the same way. If you actually know anything about nitro engines, this sounds ALOT like user error rather than the engine sucking. You even admitted to never/barely dealing with nitros, and your giving out your expert opinion on them? Thats like me saying.... Ive never driven a Revo or Savage, but because ive seen them at the store and driven a little, I automatically know they suck. 99% of the Savage/Revo/T-maxx/Lst owners on this board would say XTM's X-factor sucks because it isnt independant suspension and they dont own one.

If you want a truthful answer, go to your LHS and ask someone there, because here on the boards, everyone is so biased and one way minded its ridiculous. I only take half the stuff I read here on the boards seriously because the other half is way too biased to do me any good.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Bonksnp

So uhhh, not to get off topic or anything, but would anyone be able to tell me if the stock roto start for a Savage Nitro Star 25 will fit on a SH 28 or collari 30?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2005, 04:07 AM
ETRNL

well i do know that my lhs put my stock rotostart on the backplate of my new sh, but they did something that i would not recommend.. they tapped and threaded it[sm=eek.gif][sm=thumbdown.gif]
and to make it worse when it tore it down this weekend to seal the engine i found that one of the holes for the 3 screws that hold the rotostart on is totaly stripped out..... i almost cried.. any ways i think i read somewhere that they make a backplte adapter... but dont hold me to it
Old 05-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: Bonksnp

So uhhh, not to get off topic or anything, but would anyone be able to tell me if the stock roto start for a Savage Nitro Star 25 will fit on a SH 28 or collari 30?

Thanks!
I don't own the SH, but I have the Collari .30, and the stock S25 rotostart unit will not fit the Collari .30 backplate. Collari has supposidly just released a "rotostart" version of their .30, so the backplate should be available soon as an individual part.
Rich
Old 05-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Frost_

You guys need the 8 dollar XTM 24.7 backplate (NOT the roto-plate)... Replace the SH's backplate with this one, then bolt up a regular stock S25 roto-plate. Check hobbypeople.com.