Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 12:09 AM
chrisbcrunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage top speed?

with a real good engine how fast can you get the savage up to? and how fast is the 25 rtr savage ? and is going from the 2 speed to 3 speed make a diff and if so what?
Old 06-26-2005, 12:21 AM
stall70

Default RE: savage top speed?

3 speed helps a little, i dont know about eng choices. i have a sav 25 with a hotbodies 26 in it with a 3 speed and its pretty fast. id say about 40-45 mph and thats running alittle rich about 210-215 with the body on it , i was thinking of getting a sts28 eng for it as i hear its a sick eng but i havent seen one run yet
Old 06-26-2005, 02:35 PM
electrogoneglow

40 to 45????..........Naw man more like 30 to 35....and on a good day with perfect air temp and berametric preasure, down hill, with the wind maybe 38

Let's face it, the Savvy weighs like 11 or 12 lbs. bone stock

It's gonna take something like a Collari or Sirro .30 and gearing work to push 40. and then if you make the 40 or 40+ mark the weight of the truck will come into play again as soon as you try to turn it.

The Savvy is not a racer, just look at it, it's whole design concept is to be a big burlly loud punnisher that can handle everything you can dish out and ask for more, it's all about low end torque here.

Now look at a "raceing" style MT, everything is petite and light and they weigh like 1/3 less than a Savvy and some are even classified as 1/10 scale like the Traxxas T-Max, all small and light and jittery and high strung, all top end.

TORQUE RULES!!!!!

Jason
Old 06-26-2005, 11:40 PM
rustler 1

MY SAVAGE HAS A 2 SPEED AND SH28 IN IT AND O GOD DOES IT HAUL. WHEN ME AND MY POPS' MAMMOTH RACE I KEEP ABOUT THE SAME SPEED AS HIM BUT IM AHEAD FROM THE QUICK ACCELERATION DUE TO THE POWER OF MY ENGINE BECAUSE IT HITS TOP END LIKE "BOOM". PEOPLE SAY THAT THE MAMMOTH GOES 52MPH AT ITS VERY TOP SPEED SO I WOULD EMAGION THAT ONE A REQULAR BASSIS I AM RUNNING 45-48MPH TOP SPEED. I DO PASS UP THE BUGGYS AT THE TRACK TOO. (AT LEAST THE STRAIGHT AWAY).
Old 06-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: rustler 1

MY SAVAGE HAS A 2 SPEED AND SH28 IN IT AND O GOD DOES IT HAUL. WHEN ME AND MY POPS' MAMMOTH RACE I KEEP ABOUT THE SAME SPEED AS HIM BUT IM AHEAD FROM THE QUICK ACCELERATION DUE TO THE POWER OF MY ENGINE BECAUSE IT HITS TOP END LIKE "BOOM". PEOPLE SAY THAT THE MAMMOTH GOES 52MPH AT ITS VERY TOP SPEED SO I WOULD EMAGION THAT ONE A REQULAR BASSIS I AM RUNNING 45-48MPH TOP SPEED. I DO PASS UP THE BUGGYS AT THE TRACK TOO. (AT LEAST THE STRAIGHT AWAY).
This post is too funny. A Stock Savage 25 was radared by RC Driver magazine at 33 mph. I GPS'ed my Picco .26 Savage at a top speed of 36 mph. So don't waste our time with these 45+ mph speed claims with a 12lb. Savage
Old 06-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Stablock

Here is a way to tell your top speed.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3112926/tm.htm
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 AM
miltmo

I'll radar mine this weekend. New Savage25 broke in last week. Everything stock. We'll see.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:56 PM
stall70

i am running the 3 speed w the hb26 and a nice tuned pipe and it gets there i know its a heavy truck but im talking on road with space to get it up there .my cen mt2 is fast!!! 45mph+_ and the sav with my set up can get almost as fast as it! just not acceleration wise it need more space to build up steam.i also run sidewinder 30% thru it.so dont tell me my truck doesnt do 40-45 as i know it pretty much does! however if your talking about a stock sav 25 w stock motor and 2 speed!! then that speed sounds about right.[8D]
Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 PM
hpisavage28

polar is right, i have that magazine and it clocked the savvy 25 at 33 and the ss 4.6 at 39
Old 07-01-2005, 04:27 PM
miltmo

I just ran my Savage and my radar says 35MPH. It is totally stock with about 1/2 gallon ran through it. I think it'll go a little bit faster when it gets some more time on the engine and more tuned(running on the rich side), but not much. I have no interest in changing the gearing to make it go faster. If I wanted fast, i would have kept my Traxxas Jato that can't go through grass and spun out all the time.

The Savage will, however, wheelie all the time on grass and some of the time on pavement. This thing is awesome and it does exactly what I bought it for. I just need to quiet it down a bit. I've read that the XTM pipe is the way to go in that department.

By the way, for others out there who just got a Savage. Be patient, the power will come! It took almost a half gallon to wheelie and shift properly. I rarely touch the adjustments and this thing runs awesome!

Hope this helps!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:43 AM
MrSavage

a savage over 40 mph is not likely unless it is highly modded...my savage has the s-25 (stock) with a nova cooling head, motor saver air filter, and hpi ribbed pipe...it has about 2 gallons through it with a great tune and on a good day, it might hit 35.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:30 PM
rustler 1

well man, i have lots of titanium so it made my truck lighter and then i have bow ties that are way lighter than stock my truck weighed 9.somethin pounds untill i put my sh28 in it and now its about 11 pounds ok and the stock savage was geared 15, 52 and mine is in a low gear of 18, 48 and my truck pops wheelies like nothing. like i said i have never radaed it and my truck has lots of upgradesa nd none of them except the chassis braces are aluminum. I know that the mammoth was clocked at 52mph. i am about there and sometimes stay at the same speed ok so i know my truck goes WAY over 40mph to catch a 52mph truck. get a grip man.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:36 PM
rustler 1

i have seen a stock 25 and i know that it must go 35mph because it seemed so slow. i have to at least say mine is 45mph no less than that. can anyone here get a rolling start and then gas it and imediantly ballon all tires on pavement? although i have some nice nova racing shoes.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: rustler 1

well man, i have lots of titanium so it made my truck lighter and then i have bow ties that are way lighter than stock my truck weighed 9.somethin pounds untill i put my sh28 in it and now its about 11 pounds ok and the stock savage was geared 15, 52 and mine is in a low gear of 18, 48 and my truck pops wheelies like nothing. like i said i have never radaed it and my truck has lots of upgradesa nd none of them except the chassis braces are aluminum. I know that the mammoth was clocked at 52mph. i am about there and sometimes stay at the same speed ok so i know my truck goes WAY over 40mph to catch a 52mph truck. get a grip man.
You just said you never radared your truck, yet you CLAIM you have a Savage that "does way over 40 mph" . All the titanium bling in the world is not going to make a 33 mph Savage do "way over 40 mph". Finally if you had a 9lb Savage to begin with, adding an SH .28 is NOT going to add 2 pounds to a Savage. Oh yea, Bow Tie tires will not make your Savage faster, they will in fact slow it down because they have a smaller outside diameter. Sorry dude, but you have no clue what you are talking about as far as how to gain speed from a Savage.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:52 PM
rustler 1

listen you idiot, i only say this because the mammoth was claimed at 52mph and i can very easly keep up with the truck with any of the tires i use. simple as that.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Smitty190

your all wrong it only goes like 15 mph stock. I don't know what u guys are talking about but go out and get a t-maxx....... Just kidding yeah it goes like 30-35 + or - depending on tunning.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:53 PM
ART1

Oh yes, they all run fast until I put them on my Stalker and than come excuses for lack of speed. Moded RB .28 and 18/49 gearing runs 40-42 MPH but not even close to 50 MPH
Old 07-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: ART1

Oh yes, they all run fast until I put them on my Stalker and than come excuses for lack of speed. Moded RB .28 and 18/49 gearing runs 40-42 MPH but not even close to 50 MPH

Talk to anyone who has a Venom VSM, or posted up some REAL radar data they will all say Savages will do anywhere from low 30's to high 30's (A few master speed tuners have touched low 40's). Talk to all the "computer keyboard speed estimators" thier Savages amazingly all do 50 mph. I even read a link to some meatball selling his Savage on Ebay claiming it did 70 mph!!!! I did a ton of speed tinkering (different gearing, tires, engines and so on, the best I ever recorded was 38 mph with 17/49 gearing, Picco .26, THS pipe, road rash tires and chassis slammed. I am sure the speed has gone up a few mph's with the new mega cube engines. I posted my speed #'s when the .26's first came out.
Rich
Old 07-04-2005, 08:10 AM
miltmo

Personally, I really don't care if my truck is the fastest. Don't get me wrong, it was cool that my old Jato cracked 50mph (54mph to be exact) but it could only do it on pavement. On the track, I could never "punch it" as it would spin out at pretty much any speed. And on the grass, it was so low that it never even shifted. The Savage wasn't made for speed. It is a tough, big, and reliable monster truck. For this application, 35mph should more than adequate.

Sidenote and Rant: ART1....I totally agree with you. I am so sick of people stretching the truth about speed/acceleration. Right up till that time that real data is provided. AKA...radar gun/drag strip times. And then, they argue about it when their data falls short.(Excuses)

No...your 1988 Mustang GT did not run an 11 second quarter mile. No...it wasn't the fastest car in the city. Tell it like it is and people in the "know" will respect you for it. A 14second quarter mile is FAST and guess what, 35mph is pretty darn fast for a 12lb monster truck.

And those of you ready to pounce on me about how fast your real car is. Be ready to provide some track data. Magazine statistics are useless.

Out
Old 07-04-2005, 08:54 AM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with miltmo i just finnished breakin in my savage and it was haulin. i dont really care if it does 40.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Wizz Kid

you will beat any car/truck/buggy/truggy whatever that has a one speed, but a top speed of like 50+mph. its because they have a one speed and an engine that loves to run in the high rpms so it will take off once it hits about 1/3-1/2 its speed. whereas the savage with a 3 speed is going to accellerate hard, gain speed, and top out before any of those single speeds, just because it has the gears to spread out. if you raced a buggy or truggy or ST with a 2 speed, you'd be screwed.(again weight is a factor here)
Old 07-04-2005, 10:59 AM
clownman558

I couldn't have said it better myself, good post mopar muscle. oh so true.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:00 PM
R/C OVERLOAD

Speed with this truck is like **** on a bull USELESS !!!!!! Monster trucks are made to smash stuff do wheelies rock crawl ect ect ect !!!!!!!!!! want speed go get one of those 100 mph street cars or a jet plane or somthin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! too much flat out speed tears through these trucks in no time !!!!!!! and you have absolutely no cornering with this truck if your in to trucks for speed get an lst or somthing and mod it up youll go a lot faster but it wont hold up in a crash ............. what im trying to say is it seems like different trucks are intended for different uses some bashing some raceing some flat out speed. in the end though It your toys so do and think what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:10 PM
rustler 1

TRY THIS ONE ALSO, THE K4.6 SAVAGE KIT IS RATED TO GO 44MPH I MEAN COMON GUYS ****!!! MY TRUCK HAS A MORE POWERFUL MOTOR AND IS A LOT LIGHTER.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:11 PM
electrogoneglow

ORIGINAL: miltmo

Personally, I really don't care if my truck is the fastest. Don't get me wrong, it was cool that my old Jato cracked 50mph (54mph to be exact) but it could only do it on pavement. On the track, I could never "punch it" as it would spin out at pretty much any speed. And on the grass, it was so low that it never even shifted. The Savage wasn't made for speed. It is a tough, big, and reliable monster truck. For this application, 35mph should more than adequate.

Sidenote and Rant: ART1....I totally agree with you. I am so sick of people stretching the truth about speed/acceleration. Right up till that time that real data is provided. AKA...radar gun/drag strip times. And then, they argue about it when their data falls short.(Excuses)

No...your 1988 Mustang GT did not run an 11 second quarter mile. No...it wasn't the fastest car in the city. Tell it like it is and people in the "know" will respect you for it. A 14second quarter mile is FAST and guess what, 35mph is pretty darn fast for a 12lb monster truck.

And those of you ready to pounce on me about how fast your real car is. Be ready to provide some track data. Magazine statistics are useless.

Out
THANK YOOOOU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.