Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Tmaxx Vs. Savage

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:50 PM
rcflyboy90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tmaxx Vs. Savage

Will the t-maxx with a 2.5trx go faster then the savage25? And can it keep up with the savage? I was thinking about buying the t-maxx since it is cheaper then the savage. My brother has just gotten the savage i like it alot but i don't know if i want to spend that much money on 1. I have a stampede now and the savage kicks it Butt. Plus my brother just runs it over all the time. I want to get one that can keep up with the savage25 but isn't that expensive. Should i just get the savage or what. Let me know.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 PM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tmaxx Vs. Savage

go to ultimatehobbies.com the savage is only like 30 dollars more. t-maxx is a good begginner truck. My neighbor has a t-maxx and my savage just runs circles around it. save up the extra cash (i did) its worth it
Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 PM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how close is kennet to the borer of ny i live near syracuse
Old 06-27-2005, 09:25 PM
A.B.U

ORIGINAL: rcflyboy90

Will the t-maxx with a 2.5trx go faster then the savage25? And can it keep up with the savage? I was thinking about buying the t-maxx since it is cheaper then the savage. My brother has just gotten the savage i like it alot but i don't know if i want to spend that much money on 1. I have a stampede now and the savage kicks it Butt. Plus my brother just runs it over all the time. I want to get one that can keep up with the savage25 but isn't that expensive. Should i just get the savage or what. Let me know.
You could get the Stadium Maxx, which is cheaper than both and something tells me it's faster than the T-Maxx, even though Traxxas says it goes 40mph+ like the T-Maxx.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:50 AM
jeepsavage

Is the Tmaxx faster? Not the one I raced. We ran on a parking lot "road course" and I beat him everytime. We even drag raced and I beat him, but he was right on my rearend towards the end. The Tmaxx does pull hard on the top end.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Snowburton12

SAVAGE ALL THE WAY
Old 06-28-2005, 11:37 AM
bibo

The amount you will save now by getting the T-Maxx is nothing compared to the amounts you will spend on this hobby in the future.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:15 PM
DaytonaTurbo87

The amount you will save now by getting the T-Maxx is nothing compared to the amounts you will spend on this hobby in the future.
Now that is the truth! A gallon of fuel and a bottle of after run oil and lookey there, now how much does that cost? lol, too much, that's how much!!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Philster

The Savge and T-maxx are similar in speed, and you'll hear mixed reports either way. These are Monster Trucks, and almost every major company has decided to copy the SAVAGE design, or tweak the Savage design, when developing a monster truck.

That's all you need to know.

Oh, and the Savage is a true big block truck...with real torque. So when you hit the grass, or sloppy hills, the Tmaxx will struggle. It might be a bit more speedy on the firm ground, but who the heck runs on pavement?

Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 PM
rcflyboy90

I have no idea how close i live to nj but i could check if ya want.

But yeah i guess the tmaxx would beat it. I am either going to get the 2.5 for my nitro stampede or just save up for a new truck. I beat my brother on black top today we drag raced and i won. But in the grass the savage is much faster so i don' t know. Was the t-maxx's you raced have a 2.5 or the .15
Old 06-29-2005, 12:01 AM
joman2055

the TMAXX could beat a savage on a race track assuming that both drivers were of equal skill because the Tmaxx was designed to race and the savge designed to bash. but other than that the savage is much better than the TMAXX. ! my friend has spent $2300 on his TMaxx so it wont break. The only part i have ever broken on my savage is the rear upright. I think the TMaxx is over ratted and the savage is a much better truck. In the end they both have their pros and cons but i think the savage is better.

If you are concerned about price already you should probaby consider another hobby. It can get very expenive working out all the little weak links and changing things you dont like. Not to mention fuel at 25-30 bucks a gallon!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:13 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Savage, period. the T-maxx eats parts like Rosie O'donnell at a children buffet.
and the Maxx was never EVER designed to race...it's just a more adept racer than the Savage IN STOCK FORM. both modified, it's about equal
and my LHS has both the T-maxx and Savage RTR's for $370. price is not an issue, with me at least
Old 06-29-2005, 04:13 PM
rcflyboy90

I am not worrying about the price really i just want something that doesn't break as much. Maybe i will end up getting the savage. But i don't know what yet. And since i fly rc planes to i have to help pay for them also. Im 14 so my dad and i split the price of the planes. But if i have enough money at the end of the summer i may get a savage. I will see how long my brothers last before he brakes something on it LOL.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Philster

I have no idea how close i live to nj but i could check if ya want.

But yeah i guess the tmaxx would beat it. I am either going to get the 2.5 for my nitro stampede or just save up for a new truck. I beat my brother on black top today we drag raced and i won. But in the grass the savage is much faster so i don' t know. Was the t-maxx's you raced have a 2.5 or the .15

There are many variables. With street tires on my Savage, and a Hyper .21 8-port, I beat a T-Maxx. Now, he just got a new motor from Traxxas..one of the upgrades and we are neck and neck. But the tougher terrain it seems like he is going to overheat his engine, esp on grass.

He seems to be quicker on regular pavement.

I'll be in Kennet Square one Saturday in July, if that is where you live.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:36 PM
rcmtdriver2000

I own both a savage and a t-maxx. Out of the box the savage is faster and more durable. This is until you throw an 18 sized engine in the t-maxx. Then the t-maxx is faster but with the speeds that both trucks can get to if you hit a tree theres going to be something broke on either one.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:06 AM
amec

I have both trucks and my Savage 4.6 is many much gooderer than my Maxx. I have had the Maxx tranny apart lots.... Needing to replace gears, i got sick of trying to tune the Trx 2.5 and chasing down air leaks and put in the picco .21. My point is i have probably spent two tmaxx's on upgrades. My Savage so far has been strong, fast and fun. No upgrades so far(approx 8 litres of fuel).
Old 07-02-2005, 02:50 PM
rustler 1

tmaxxs are no where close to savages and they are little toys so dont waste your money. you can get a savage to go faster anyway even if you HAVE to get a .46 kit or twin kit now does a tmaxx have that option...... nope savage all the way
Old 07-03-2005, 01:21 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

you can buy a Tmaxx .21 conversion kit, CVD's and all, for under $200 bills.
dynamite makes it, and it comes with a Mach twanky six
Old 07-03-2005, 01:58 AM
jeepsavage

ORIGINAL: rcmtdriver2000

if you hit a tree theres going to be something broke on either one.
Nope. I just smacked a tree today, WOT and likely at full speed-if not, real close. Hit it so hard it bounced off and spun in the air about 6-7 ft away. Nothing wrong with the Savage at all other than a slightly pushed back front bumper. And I looked for stuff to be wrong and couldn't find anything. I put a few tanks thru it afterwards and it ran and drove fine. Say what you want, but it happened and those that saw it couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. Any other R/C I've owned over the umpteen years I've been in this hobby would've lost it's life after that hit. The Savage really is indestructable.[>:]
Old 07-03-2005, 11:25 AM
jwarren

Well, after seeing what happened when my friends savage lost radios and wet WOT i was convinced to get one. It hit the tree but instead of bouncing off it went straight up it about 10 feet, and nothing broke.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 PM
jimmmy

if you post this on a hpi monster truck forum, people are gonna tell ya that the savage is the
way to go.if you post this on a traxxas monster truck forum,people are gonna tell ya t-maxx
is the way to go. Put this on a monster truck forum and see what u get.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 PM
supernova803

.46 kit or twin kit now does a tmaxx have that option
New era makes a .70 kit for the maxx to use a thunder tiger motor. There are a ton of dual motor maxxs.

I have a maxx and a savage, and with my personal experience with both, I'd have to day go with a maxx. It seems to be more durable(besides the bumpers and skidplates) and the diffs are WAY better. But the savage is huge and jumps like crazy. My maxx will walk my savage easy. Better power to weight ratio as well. I like the maxx.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:19 AM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

I have a savage 25, a savage 4.6, a revo and a t-maxx. I like my savages better. I have the 3 speed in the savage 4.6 and still running the stock motor. The only problem is I'm going through spur gears like mad on the 4.6 savage. After reading about this problem on RCU I have ordered a nova clutch which appears to cure the problem. The clutch bell gets too hot with the stock clutch becouse it slips and causes you to go through spur gears. After this repair I think my savage 4.6 will be the king of all monster trucks. This thing is as smooth of a truck as anything I've seen. Strong low in and great top end. It pulls wheelies going in to second gear all the time. This is an awsome truck and I would never buy another traxxas unless they made alot of changes starting with thier overheating motors.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:59 PM
electrogoneglow

The FIRST thing you need to decide on is do you want a 1/10th scale MT or an 1/8th scale MT.

For the life of me, I still can't understand why people try to compare the Maxx to the Savvy, they are not even in the same class as far as MT's go.

T-Maxx = 1/10 scale racer, all dainty and light, with a high reving small block that makes moast of it's power in the top end.

Savage = 1/8 scale basher, it's a big bruzer that can handle serious punishment and all it ever asks for is MORE
it has a true big block and makes moast of it's power in the low and mid range, the only reason it has a semblance of top end is due to the 2 speed tranny, It's all about torque here.

What sold me on the Savage 2 years ago was my LHS, they took an old Savage and an old T-Max that they called "shop trucks" and anounced that they were going to perform the ultimate durabillity test.
one guy with the Savvy and the other with the Maxx at opposite ends of the street, and they met somewhere in the middle, a top speed head on collision.
All I can say is, the Maxx literally exploded upon impact, and the Savvy was able to limp away under it's own power, not unscathed by any means but definately still running and driving.
Ever scince then it's been Savage all the way for me.

Jason
Old 01-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Ironlegend

i agree with electrogoneglow hes right the savage is the best built truck on the market right now , also it has alot of relyible parts and you can vastly upgrade everything on it, so parts arent a worry, heres some quick advice someone else gave me,

if you ever want to upgrade your savy wait till some thing brakes and replace that part with a pro part, thus in time your savy will be everything you want it to be ................

jayson

cali, orange county, huntington beach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.